Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dizzyb3
Hi, my TP collection year ends May 22 but card expiry is 30 June 23.
I need 235 more TP to retain silver
I'm looking at booking a BC holiday to IST in October. It looks like this is 80 TP each way.

Before I commit, am I right in thinking I'll get 320 TP for this as it's double for holidays?

Will this extend my silver? If so, until???

I've read so much but my mind is blown and would appreciate any expert advice please!
If it meets the criteria for double TP, yes it would earn 320. Must be 5 days minimum and car or hotel for full duration.

But on its own it won't extend your Silver by a single day.

If you have 235TP now, then those are lost come your new collection year, starting May 9th. That doesn't matter in itself because your Status is protected for the coming year.

But from May 9th, you have 2 possible targets:

- 450 TP by end of 2022
- 600 TP by May 8th 2023.

If you can *add* to the 320 TP earned in October to reach those targets, then you will retain Silver until June 30th 2024.

If you cannot reach those targets, your Silver will end on June 2023.

(All the above assumes no further extensions etc)
Dizzyb3 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just to add to the above, you’ve already got silver til June 2023. You have until Dec 31, 2022 to meet the reduced threshold which if you hit, you’ll get extended silver membership to end June 2024. BUT, any points you earn between now and May 8, 2022 won’t help you (unless you can get to gold) and your balance goes back to 0 after May 8. So if you want to take advantage of the reduced threshold, you’ll need to get 450 pts between May 8 and Dec 31, 2022.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Dizzyb3
Thanks for your quick reply.
So I can use all the perks until June 23 but then if i don't have 450 TP I'll lose it?
If I can get to 450 TP by June 23 I keep silver until June 24??
you can use all the perks till june 2023

you keep the perks july 2023 to june 2024 if

1/ between may9 2022 and 31 dec 2022 you collect 450 tp and have 4 qualifying flights

-- OR ---

2/ between may 9th 2022 and may 8th 2023 you collect 600 tp and have 4 qualifying flights
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
I just checked my GF Gold account and she has now 130 TP (with 2 eligible segments) with July 8th as reset date. If there was no further complimentary status extension, and if she had 4 eligible segments she would have soft landed to Silver. But with only 2 eligible segments, will she drop to Silver or to Bronze ? Just wondering if we would need to plan a quick round trip to LHR some time in June or not...:-/
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
But with only 2 eligible segments, will she drop to Silver or to Bronze ? Just wondering if we would need to plan a quick round trip to LHR some time in June or not...:-/
Silver.

As I understand it, you "soft land" one level down even if you don't take a single flight.

Just for completeness, here is where it is covered in the Sticky guide: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33863721-post4.html
palmanfr likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Silver.

As I understand it, you "soft land" even if you don't take a single flight.
Yes. "Soft landing" is really a misnomer; even if you don't fly at all in the collection year, you will only drop to a tier below your current tier.

The exception is if you are GGL, as that's not really a tier in its own right. I am GGL but will be dropping to Silver if there's no extension.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Silver.

As I understand it, you "soft land" one level down even if you don't take a single flight.

Just for completeness, here is where it is covered in the Sticky guide: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33863721-post4.html
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Yes. "Soft landing" is really a misnomer; even if you don't fly at all in the collection year, you will only drop to a tier below your current tier.

The exception is if you are GGL, as that's not really a tier in its own right. I am GGL but will be dropping to Silver if there's no extension.
Cool, thanks for the feedback ! At least silver is better than nothing...
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I find BA's status program to be pretty confusing. I'm currently a BA Silver. My TP collection year ends on May 8, 2022. The card expiry is on June 30, 2023.

My goal is to attain BA Gold by December 31, 2022. I'm assuming the lower qualification threshold will be in place until December 31, 2022. So what happens for any flights that I take from now until the final minute of May 8, 2022? I'm assuming BA uses GMT for time? What happens for any flights that I take between May 9, 2022, and December 31, 2022?

Thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
The ones before may 8 will drop off. Then you have to the end of the year to get the benefit of the reduced amount.
lsquare and BertieBadger like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I find BA's status program to be pretty confusing. I'm currently a BA Silver. My TP collection year ends on May 8, 2022. The card expiry is on June 30, 2023.

My goal is to attain BA Gold by December 31, 2022. I'm assuming the lower qualification threshold will be in place until December 31, 2022. So what happens for any flights that I take from now until the final minute of May 8, 2022? I'm assuming BA uses GMT for time? What happens for any flights that I take between May 9, 2022, and December 31, 2022?

Thank you!
All flights flown and scheduled to depart on or before 8 May 2022 will be credited to your Membership Year 9 May 2021 to 8 May 2022. All flights flown and scheduled to depart on or after 9 May 2022 will be credited to your Membership Year 9 May 2022 to 8 May 2023.
lsquare and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
The ones before may 8 will drop off. Then you have to the end of the year to get the benefit of the reduced amount.
What do you mean by drop off?

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
All flights flown and scheduled to depart on or before 8 May 2022 will be credited to your Membership Year 9 May 2021 to 8 May 2022. All flights flown and scheduled to depart on or after 9 May 2022 will be credited to your Membership Year 9 May 2022 to 8 May 2023.
Since status got extended last year and with so little time left until the end of the current membership year, I should just want until May 9, 2022 to start flying again?

I'm assuming the lower qualification threshold will last until December 31, 2022?

So timezone doesn't matter? End of May 8, 2022 regardless of timezone?

How does my card expiry date affect my status qualification?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Drop off means your TP balance goes to 0 on May 9th. So unless you get enough points to get to gold between now and May 8th, they are pretty useless; whether you get 0 points or 1000 points by May 8th 2022, you'll still be silver. From May 9th, you have until Dec 31 2022 to get 1125 TPs to get to gold. If you don't quite make it by year end, you'll need the full 1500 by May 8th 2023. I wouldn't stress too much about time zones. It seems that BA usually will give you a grace period of a couple of weeks after your TP collection year to get those last few points. Never tried it, but seems to be generally accepted that it works.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Drop off means your TP balance goes to 0 on May 9th. So unless you get enough points to get to gold between now and May 8th, they are pretty useless; whether you get 0 points or 1000 points by May 8th 2022, you'll still be silver. From May 9th, you have until Dec 31 2022 to get 1125 TPs to get to gold. If you don't quite make it by year end, you'll need the full 1500 by May 8th 2023. I wouldn't stress too much about time zones. It seems that BA usually will give you a grace period of a couple of weeks after your TP collection year to get those last few points. Never tried it, but seems to be generally accepted that it works.
I read somewhere upthread if I remember that the grace period will only be applied to meeting your full total. Someone asked for extra 2 weeks to hit the reduced targets and were told no. So best to hit the 1125 in the time specified or 1500 by end of the collection year (May).
lsquare, BertieBadger and RichieMc like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:08 am

Since status got extended last year and with so little time left until the end of the current membership year, I should just want until May 9, 2022 to start flying again?
Correct, unless you could fly enough to hit Gold by May 8th

I'm assuming the lower qualification threshold will last until December 31, 2022?
Also correct

So timezone doesn't matter? End of May 8, 2022 regardless of timezone?
Local timezone is what matters when determining the date. Suppose there were a flight leaving San Francisco at 10pm local on May 8th. That would be 6am, May 9th in the UK. But it's the local time that counts so it would be credited to your previous year, i.e. the one ending on May 8th.

Oh and to add, it's scheduled time that matters. If that hypothetical flight was delayed 3 hours in departure it would still credit to the previous year.

How does my card expiry date affect my status qualification?
It doesn't directly. Your card expiry is always on the last day of the month following a collection year end - usually your current year[1], but with extensions for many people that is not the case.

If your card expiry is more than 1 month and a few weeks ahead, then that could mean it has been extended for some reason, which is what has happened to yours. In this case, you don't need to bother with attaining points to requalify until you are into the collection year that ends the month before card expiry.

[1] It used to be it was pushed out 1 year when you went up a tier, not sure if that still applies given the inequity it caused!

Last edited by BertieBadger; Mar 24, 2022 at 8:21 am Reason: Edit for clarity about expiry more than 1 year
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, unless you could fly enough to hit Gold by May 8th

Also correct

Local timezone is what matters when determining the date. Suppose there were a flight leaving San Francisco at 10pm local on May 8th. That would be 6am, May 9th in the UK. But it's the local time that counts so it would be credited to your previous year, i.e. the one ending on May 8th.

Oh and to add, it's scheduled time that matters. If that hypothetical flight was delayed 3 hours in departure it would still credit to the previous year.

It doesn't directly. Your card expiry is always on the last day of the month following a collection year end - usually your current year[1], but with extensions for many people that is not the case.

If your card expiry is more than 1 month and a few weeks ahead, then that could mean it has been extended for some reason, which is what has happened to yours. In this case, you don't need to bother with attaining points to requalify until you are into the collection year that ends the month before card expiry.

[1] It used to be it was pushed out 1 year when you went up a tier, not sure if that still applies given the inequity it caused!
Thanks!
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.