Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Unless the 25% threshold reduction is extended everyone will see this change on the BAEC App/portal from July 2022. There are no changes to this policy at this point and it is currently expected to end in June 2022.
I'm a August year end, what if I hit 1125 before June? Am I renewed for an extra year or not? The App seems to suggest so. If I was Silver I'd be promoted to Gold for this year and next as long as I hit 1125 by June, but since I'm already Gold ...................... I guess all will become clear but it would be nice to know what I'm aiming for.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by zen100
Exactly, although those with July, August and Sept 2022 resets are reporting that the 25% reduction is still showing in the app for the current year.
Some people are reading it as the reduced thresholds being in place until June 30th 2022, regardless of when your year end is. And then from July 1st 2022 it will revert to normal - if you've achieved your tier by the June 30th deadline all will be good, but if you haven't there will be sudden jump in the requirements.

i.e. to give a practical example, someone with a Sep year trying to retain Gold could find themselves on 1100TP as of end of June, thinking they only need to get 25TP more in the next 9-10 weeks. And then July 1st rolls round and suddenly they need 400TP in the same period!

Now, if this is correct - and it could well be, I don't know one way or the other - I think BA are setting themselves up for a fall. To show a target in the app/website for almost an entire year and then move the goalposts so significantly will surely result in a lot of irate customers. Personally, I'm coming round to the view that it probably is a correct reading. The BA site says:

What’s more, we’ve reduced the amount of Tier Points needed to reach each Tier by 25% for those aiming to retain or reach a Tier up to June 2022.
That could mean people whose TP year ends before then (which I think is how it was initially read by most people), but is also consistent with people reaching a tier by June 2022 regardless of their year end. Ambiguous? BA? I can scarcely believe it!
zen100 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Renewals are only measured at the end of the TP year. They are not shown prior to that. That's why I don't understand the reduced targets to June 2022. My year end is 8 July 2022. My app shows I need 2250 TPs to retain GGL, as does my account on BA.com so that's what I'm aiming at. Saying it ends in June means I need an additional 750TPs in one week in July??
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by woodey
I'm a August year end, what if I hit 1125 before June? Am I renewed for an extra year or not? The App seems to suggest so. If I was Silver I'd be promoted to Gold for this year and next as long as I hit 1125 by June, but since I'm already Gold ...................... I guess all will become clear but it would be nice to know what I'm aiming for.
Correct, provided you reach the threshold by June you should progress to Gold at the 1125TP level.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:04 am
Suspended

So let me get this straight as someone with a CCR currently and a year ending in feb. I don’t need to do anything else to keep GGL for another year (until March 2023) and from now on I get CCR access so long as I hit GGL? But assuming no further changes I’ll need 3K TPS between feb 2022 and feb 2023 to keep GGL (and by definition CCR access)?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Yes if you renew ggl at 3000 or reduced amount going forward if it applies, then you get ccr.

New ggl still need 5000 or the reduced amount, if applicable.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by woodey
I'm an August year end, what if I hit 1125 before June? Am I renewed for an extra year or not?
Yes, the BA site is clear it applies to retaining tiers as well, so as long as you hit the target by June 30th you'd be Gold. The potentially unpleasant surprise is if you don't hit the target by then as you will then need (in the absence of any further policy changes) the full 1500TP.

If that is what they plan to do - and to repeat myself, in the absence of clear info from BA I can't be certain - it does greatly diminish the value of the reduced targets for many. Consider:

July - a July member benefits from this, in effect their TP collection year has become 8 days shorter in exchange for 25% reduction in target
August - an August member benefits, but somewhat less. The effectively "lose" 39 days of their collection year, but that's still a smaller reduction that the 25% reduction in target

And so on...

Now, if you consider an October member, there is virtually no benefit at all. They have a reduced target of 75%, but have only circa 75% of their collection year to reach it.

It's very frustrating that BA aren't being clearer on this point, if indeed that is how they are implementing it.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
Saying it ends in June means I need an additional 750TPs in one week in July??
I think the reading is that if you don't have 2250 by June 30th then indeed, you will suddenly need 750TP in 8 days.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
So let me get this straight as someone with a CCR currently and a year ending in feb. I don’t need to do anything else to keep GGL for another year (until March 2023) and from now on I get CCR access so long as I hit GGL? But assuming no further changes I’ll need 3K TPS between feb 2022 and feb 2023 to keep GGL (and by definition CCR access)?
Yes that’s correct.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I think the reading is that if you don't have 2250 by June 30th then indeed, you will suddenly need 750TP in 8 days.
They were very clear when they did the very first extension that although I had already requalified, they ignored that and I was extended to 8 July 2021, whereas someone achieving a new level before that date already had their TP year reset so they were extended to 8 July 2022. Their systems didn't cater for renewals until they were measured at the end of the TP year.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:23 am

Sorry for newbie question 🙋‍♂️ but if my tier date expires Jan 22 does that mean that it has been extended til Jan 23 which I understand but does the tier points start over on Jan 22 or does the uptoday tier count go til Jan 23
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:31 am

Silver card holder currently on zero TPs and collection ends 8/1/22, I have no notification from BA about this and cannot find anything on their site, just what I’m reading from GSTP , tlfl, and the points guy and on here
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
They were very clear when they did the very first extension that although I had already requalified, they ignored that and I was extended to 8 July 2021, whereas someone achieving a new level before that date already had their TP year reset so they were extended to 8 July 2022. Their systems didn't cater for renewals until they were measured at the end of the TP year.
Yes, I agree that's how it worked previously. Indeed, it was at the root of the unequal treatment that members received, where - as you say - those going up a tier were processed immediately (so got the extra year) while those retaining a tier were processed at the year end and so got nothing if they'd already requalified.

However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they have recognised this and are adjusting their systems accordingly. They could well adjust the TP targets part-way through a collection year.

I don't like the approach if indeed that is what they are doing, but it is consistent with what they've written.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by mwp1
I have no notification from BA about this and cannot find anything on their site
As I've learned from here, always check the Press Release section first

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...efits?ref=News
Genius1, Keystone and mwp1 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mwp1
Silver card holder currently on zero TPs and collection ends 8/1/22, I have no notification from BA about this and cannot find anything on their site, just what I’m reading from GSTP , tlfl, and the points guy and on here
No one has at this point, expect an email in the coming days.
mwp1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.