Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jonny Saturn V
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've read as much as I can but couldn't answer my question, can you help please?

I had a return flight US-LHR booked for late September 2021. My tier point year ends in October and with the September flight I would have retained "Silver" -- I've been told my status is being extended all the way to 2022 regardless of how many tier points I get this year. Now BA have emailed to say my September flight has been cancelled.

Is there any advantage to still making the tier point threshold in this year? Or should I re-book the cancelled London flight for a date a few weeks later but inside the next tier point collection period?

Thanks
Rebook in your new TP Year... If you are lucky BA may extend the reduced thresholds so you would then be even further of the way towards retaining your rolled-over Silver... or just face another cancellation (in which case claim for the TPs in your new year!)
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've read as much as I can but couldn't answer my question, can you help please?

I had a return flight US-LHR booked for late September 2021. My tier point year ends in October and with the September flight I would have retained "Silver" -- I've been told my status is being extended all the way to 2022 regardless of how many tier points I get this year. Now BA have emailed to say my September flight has been cancelled.

Is there any advantage to still making the tier point threshold in this year? Or should I re-book the cancelled London flight for a date a few weeks later but inside the next tier point collection period?

Thanks
Hi Jonny Saturn V and welcome to FlyerTalk!

The only advantage making the thresholds this year would be if you are considering a status upgrade ( eg. Silver to Gold ); otherwise, as GBOAC 's advice I would have postponed your trip to your next tier year.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, and no doubt a friendly ambassador will be along shortly with the formal greeting.

If your Tier Point years ends on Oct 8th 2021, then your account should currently show an expiry of 30th Nov 2022 because as you correctly state, you are in a group of people who have had their status protected.

Assuming that is correct then the short answer is that yes, you are better to reschedule your flight to Oct 9th or afterwards so it counts in the next collection period.

A slightly longer answer is that you do not need any TP at all in your current collection period because your status has been protected, but one reason someone might want to consider earning in that period if they have a chance of reaching a higher tier, because the current collection year is subject to the 25% lower targets. I'm guessing from what you have written though that is an unlikely target if you were relying on this flight to take you over the Silver threshold. And of course, we don't know if BA will carry forwards any of these status reductions. So as GBOAC has said, book it for your next year.
Jonny Saturn V likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi ISTFlyer, GBOAC, and Bertie Badger,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and excellent advice. Now I know this I'm going to try and move an 80TP AA flight to later in the year too!
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
So my collection TP year ends on May 8th, 2022, but my card expiry date is on June 30th, 2023. I'm assuming I'll still need the 1125 TPs to achieve Gold? I'm assuming the lower TP requirements apply to me since I have a mid-year collection year? I have 0 TPs at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by lsquare
So my collection TP year ends on May 8th, 2022, but my card expiry date is on June 30th, 2023. I'm assuming I'll still need the 1125 TPs to achieve Gold? I'm assuming the lower TP requirements apply to me since I have a mid-year collection year? I have 0 TPs at the moment.
If your card expires in June 23, you don't need to earn anything until 9th May 22 to stay at the same level. If upgrading, then yes you'll benefit from reduced thresholds.
lsquare, BertieBadger and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 4:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi Jonny Saturn V and welcome to FlyerTalk!

The only advantage making the thresholds this year would be if you are considering a status upgrade ( eg. Silver to Gold ); otherwise, as GBOAC 's advice I would have postponed your trip to your next tier year.
May I add my welcome too Jonny Saturn V . The only other thing I'd add is that any tier points you earn this year will also count towards your lifetime totals.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Confused about several BAEC emails and Prospero's graph of Mar 2021. First, THANK YOU Prospero, but ...

I am Silver and my renewal was Dec 2020. Does the graph mean I have until the end of 2022 to renew my Silver, OR must I have all needed TPs (450 I think ) by the end of Dec 2021. I can do a TP run in December 2021 after my classes end and before end of year if necessary to "earn/get" 460 TPs on BA.
Jumped on IB flights to Azores for a needed break in August.
TIA for info.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by tmac100
Confused about several BAEC emails and Prospero's graph of Mar 2021. First, THANK YOU Prospero, but ...

I am Silver and my renewal was Dec 2020. Does the graph mean I have until the end of 2022 to renew my Silver, OR must I have all needed TPs (450 I think ) by the end of Dec 2021. I can do a TP run in December 2021 after my classes end and before end of year if necessary to "earn/get" 460 TPs on BA.
TIA for info.
What is your current card expiry date? In the app, under my account, scroll right to the bottom. You'll have "Tier Points collection year ends", most likely 8th Dec 2021, and then "Card expiry", most likely showing 31st Jan 2023, correct?

In that case you don't need to do anything before 9th Dec 21. Then you'll need to requalify before 8th Dec 22, officially (for now) with 600TPs. ETA: you're Silver until end of Jan 2023 if you do nothing.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100

TIA for info.
Check BA.com or the BA app.
The card expiry date should be 31 January 2023 thus any TP you earn until 9 December 2021 would only count towards your lifetime total or your way to Gold if you meet the reduced threshold.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
What is your current card expiry date? In the app, under my account, scroll right to the bottom. You'll have "Tier Points collection year ends", most likely 8th Dec 2021, and then "Card expiry", most likely showing 31st Jan 2023, correct?

In that case you don't need to do anything before 9th Dec 21. Then you'll need to requalify before 8th Dec 22, officially (for now) with 600TPs. ETA: you're Silver until end of Jan 2023 if you do nothing.
Yes, the card expiry is 31/Jan/2023 but then the confusing part was: "Tier Point collection year ends ... 08 Dec 2021". Your explanation has now made sense. As the Portuguese here say: Boa! 👍👏🥳

So it seems my TPs that I earn this year won't affect my Silver status. That is good news because I have a series of long flights to Australia and Canada - IF they open up (quarantine-cost-free) in 2022. Thank you, alex67500 for this info.
alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:05 pm

Has anyone heard anything further on extensions? Very quiet out there still for Jan 22 renewals.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Considering Boris saying today that international travel isn’t going to be good this year I really hope that BA extends everyone’s status and not just those that have expired dates early on.

My renewal isn’t until early April and it’s going to be hard to requalify for Gold even with the reduced thresholds if I have to push everyone into Q1 2022.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Jflyer123
Has anyone heard anything further on extensions? Very quiet out there still for Jan 22 renewals.
My guess is that BAEC are waiting (or hoping) for some more definite indicators of what travel will be like over the next 12 months. It's not even clear to me at the moment what it will be like next week!

The announcement in March was for 6 months worth of members (TP collection end dates of Jul-Dec). Given that members with collection year end dates beyond 8 Jan 2022 will have had limited opportunities to collect TPs in their year, I'd hope that some news was imminent! How big the 'window' of year end dates will be is another question! Given that the situation is so fluid, it could just be for members with Jan-Mar collection end dates?

Edit: given that the TP thresholds have been reduced by 25%, it might be that BAEC will want to ensure (as best as they can) that any member will have at least 9 months of reasonably unrestricted travel before their year end?
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by peter h; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:34 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
My year ends 8 Jul. I have received no email from BA, possibly because I currently have no status. However, I expected to change that this fall, and so the question of reduced thresholds is of interest. If I am understanding things correctly, I am in the first cohort to lose that benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.