Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I qualified (as a new BA Gold) with cancelled flights that was over 1125 but below 1500
When was that, and how did you manage it?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by just_starting
I emailed in early May and I received word back a few days later.

The booked flights were all in J and would have taken place in January - March of this year. Nothing to extraordinary I told them that these flights would have gotten me to Gold and I’m hoping they can take it into consideration
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:15 pm

The booked flights were all in J and would have taken place in January - March of this year. Nothing to extraordinary I told them that these flights would have gotten me to Gold and I’m hoping they can take it into consideration
So your TP year ended earlier this year I take it? That is promising news... I'm a Jan year-ender, still hoping for another extension though!
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Has there been any experience recently regarding requalification based on cancelled flights?

I might be able to just about make it to 1125 TP including my cancelled flights, but not 1500.

If it's still a case of either having to meet the reduced threshold with flights that went, or having to meet the full threshold with cancelled flights, then I won't bother trying to get to 1125...
I qualified (as a new BA Gold) with cancelled flights that was over 1125 but below 1500
Similar situation: When I have flown 1300TP on partners and 0 BA/IB segments, I have just filled out the Exec Club contact form on BA.com clearly stating information about my cancelled BA flights ( route, date, flight number ), PNR's and all relevant details and in 3 days, my BAEC Gold status was honored.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
If BA really wanted to be different they should offer everyone a credit at the end of their year of the amount of tier points they had in their year before the pandemic (for the past year and the current year). This would give everyone a renewal but also give some incentive to those who can fly to move up a level.

The current form is confusing, discourages extra booking, and also penalizes lifetime status. I’ve lost nearly 10000 points towards GGLfL and also am still just below GfL. Not that it matters all that much as I’m ~14-20 years away from GGLfL so two more years isn’t a big deal.

Until BA runs anywhere near a full routing network, and as long as Covid testing and quarantines make more frequent travel possible, no amount of reduced earning thresholds is truly an equitable option in my opinion. And at this point US-based members like me are at a huge advantage as we can fly TATL and the domestic US network is close to normal ( though few in my industry are taking business trips yet ). I’m on pace to reach ~3000 TP by April 8th which is mostly a waste from a status perspective. I’ve turned previously planned business trips into workcations.
Arsey00 and drwook like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jflyer123
That won’t be enough for those of us with Jan renewals we need another extension. The ability to travel for work is next to zero and the US and Asia continue to be closed. Double tier points are a nice idea but they’d be better to reduce the thresholds instead from a company perspective as otherwise LTG is achievable for 17500 doubled TPs. Given the GGL line feedback we have to believe a further extension is likely - I’ve already matched to Virgin through work who have guaranteed a 2 year extension at Gold until May 23. Now that’s a statement of commitment!
I'm a January 2022 expiration as well, but based in the US I didn't need the year extension from 2021 to 2022 because I had earned all 4 BA marketed segments plus almost all of my 600 TP for silver in late January through when the world shut down in March 2020. I was 140 TP away and missed out by a week, and flew 4 AA short-haul F segments over the summer to get there.

Since then, I've been spending down my BA and AA stash of Avios so I only have 10 TP so far. It'll be easy enough to get the TP by January 8 2022, but there is no real way to get the 4 BA segments at this point. Even an extension to July 2022 would be very helpful. Otherwise, I'll just drop to Bronze and decide in March if the BA benefits on AA and AS are worth requalifying. (I can't use BA status on AA domestic web saver awards, so it's already diminished.)
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

Interesting - I've just had a holiday cancelled that would have got both my children to silver, based on the double TP promotion and reduced thresholds. Even without the promotion they'd have made bronze... maybe it's worth giving it a go here, nothing to lose! Would be nice to have enough lounge access for the family for the next couple of years...
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
In my case, BA has played the lower-TPs promotion for GUF1 / GUF2 well.

Based on the current extensions, I should have no motivation to earn any particular number of TPs before 8th July, but in fact I have made very sure that I do manage to reach the required 500 TPs by the end of June, including paying a little extra for CE on MAN trips which I really don't need to do for a 40-minute flight.

I wonder if we will continue to see targeted stretch opportunities focused on specific situations over the next 12-18 months to just give the extra impetus to keep as many people flying as possible
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:16 am

Not sure how in-tune people are to other programs but after moving back to Norway, I've naturally switched to SAS. Qualification periods similar to BA (non, calendar year, 3 months granted post status expiry). My BA status has been extended to end '22 which happened in March (?). My SAS year was extended last year, however so far no extension given, so unless there's something significant about to happen, my status will expire end February. It took me 12 months to gain said status.

No reduced earning; they had a 4x status point earning in spring but of course most gained 0.

You may not like how BA is doing it, but out of my sample set of 2, far beyond its competition.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well I am disappointed to have just cancelled my trip from the US to MAN this month. Looking at the latest curves and pervasive spread of the Delta variant it doesn't seem like a great time to visit.

I finally made GGL in early 2020 and my year renews in May. I've still got a good window of time but unless things get a lot better in the UK quickly it is going to be really hard to travel / retain GGL. I am hoping August will be good to travel.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If I got BA Silver or Gold as someone's gift, will this get extended?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I got BA Silver or Gold as someone's gift, will this get extended?
Yes, there shouldn't be any distinction on applicability of any extension/protection done by BA for partner cards. I also know those with partner cards I had given out prior to last June have been extended.
lsquare and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Well I am disappointed to have just cancelled my trip from the US to MAN this month. Looking at the latest curves and pervasive spread of the Delta variant it doesn't seem like a great time to visit.

I finally made GGL in early 2020 and my year renews in May. I've still got a good window of time but unless things get a lot better in the UK quickly it is going to be really hard to travel / retain GGL. I am hoping August will be good to travel.
Yes I think it's sensible to avoid Manchester at the moment - the rates are very high there at the moment - at Manchester security can be quite a scrum and there isn't much social distancing.

I have already cut my weekly visits to once a month for the moment and I am more than likely to drive rather than take any kind of public transport from there for a while.
UrbanLegend likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Not sure how in-tune people are to other programs but after moving back to Norway, I've naturally switched to SAS. Qualification periods similar to BA (non, calendar year, 3 months granted post status expiry). My BA status has been extended to end '22 which happened in March (?). My SAS year was extended last year, however so far no extension given, so unless there's something significant about to happen, my status will expire end February. It took me 12 months to gain said status.

No reduced earning; they had a 4x status point earning in spring but of course most gained 0.

You may not like how BA is doing it, but out of my sample set of 2, far beyond its competition.
SAS is appalling in this regard. Their miles expiry has not been extended and you can't even buy stuff in the Eurobonus shop to be delivered to the UK due to Brexit tax woes! They are not even hiding the fact their aim is to expire miles without them being redeemed.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've read as much as I can but couldn't answer my question, can you help please?

I had a return flight US-LHR booked for late September 2021. My tier point year ends in October and with the September flight I would have retained "Silver" -- I've been told my status is being extended all the way to 2022 regardless of how many tier points I get this year. Now BA have emailed to say my September flight has been cancelled.

Is there any advantage to still making the tier point threshold in this year? Or should I re-book the cancelled London flight for a date a few weeks later but inside the next tier point collection period?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.