Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old May 10, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
From 9 July 2020 to 8 July 2021 you are within your reduced threshold year.

You should be protected for your next year so your card expiry showing on your baec homepage should be 31 August 2022 - but your 9 July 2021 to 8 July 2022 collection period will be at normal threshold levels.
KARFA - this is something (despite reading a number of posts about it) i'm still not 100% clear on. My membership year ends in December (card ends in Jan) and i've had my current status (lowly bronze) extended to Jan 2023. Does the reduced TP Threshold apply until the end of my membership year (i.e. will any flying i do between now and my regular renewal in December count towards a reduced status), or is it more arbitrary than that? I've seen lots of comments about July this year, but i'm not clear if that's just relating to EC members who have a TP reset date around that point anyway, or if (looking at the helpful graph) the TP reduction is only in place up to that point?

Yours confusedly, Efin.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
my HHO has two accounts that reset MAY 8th. one had 90 TP "deducted" and a reset to zero. it states "membership year ends 8 May 2022". the other had no reset to zero cause there was nothing to reset (had 0 TP) and it still states membership year ends 8 May 2021.

is this a common error/mistake/glitch?
Old May 10, 2021, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by efincomputer
KARFA - this is something (despite reading a number of posts about it) i'm still not 100% clear on. My membership year ends in December (card ends in Jan) and i've had my current status (lowly bronze) extended to Jan 2023. Does the reduced TP Threshold apply until the end of my membership year (i.e. will any flying i do between now and my regular renewal in December count towards a reduced status), or is it more arbitrary than that? I've seen lots of comments about July this year, but i'm not clear if that's just relating to EC members who have a TP reset date around that point anyway, or if (looking at the helpful graph) the TP reduction is only in place up to that point?

Yours confusedly, Efin.
The reduced threahold only applies to your current collection year, so 9 December 2020 to 8 December 2021.

Due to the recent announcement you have been protected so your card expiry has been changed from 31 January 2022 ti 31 January 2023 - so you will keep your current status for another year regardless of your earning in your current collection year.

For your next collection year 9 December 2021 to 8 December 2022 you will be back to normal thresholds, they haven't said anything about further years of reduced thresholds.

Originally Posted by Nephoi
my HHO has two accounts that reset MAY 8th. one had 90 TP "deducted" and a reset to zero. it states "membership year ends 8 May 2022". the other had no reset to zero cause there was nothing to reset (had 0 TP) and it still states membership year ends 8 May 2021.

is this a common error/mistake/glitch?
It does seem something odd has happened to the second account since that should also have had the usual year end processing. Maybe give it another day or two and see what happens.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by efincomputer

Yours confusedly, Efin.
Well, I'm not KARFA (tho I see the young gentleman in question has nipped in while I was composing this ) but I will see if I can help clarify things for you.

So, as a December renewal, you have 2 distinct collection years where the lower requirements apply. Those are:
  • Dec 9th 2019-Dec 8th 2020
  • Dec 9th 2020-Dec 8th 2021
You will of course immediately recognise that you are currently in the second of those 2 years. With the latest moves by BAEC, you have had your status protected as you note. That means that you are guaranteed to retain Bronze until Jan 2023. So what does that mean in terms of your collection year that you are currently in, i.e. the one ending Dec 8th this year?
  • If you earn less than 450 TP, including 0 if you don't fly at all, you will remain Bronze until Jan 2023.
  • If you earn 450 TP but less then 1125 TP, you will move up to Silver, which you would retain until Jan 2023.
  • If you earn 1125 TP but less than 3750 TP, you will move up to Gold, which you would retain until Jan 2023
  • If you earn 3750 TP or more, you would move to GGL/CCR which you would retain....well, you get the gist by now
Ok, so what about the next collection year? BA have not announced any further reductions to the TP targets so assuming they do not, it means in your next year, i.e. between Dec 9th 2021 and Dec 8th 2022, you would need the regular amounts:
  • At least 300 TP to retain Bronze until Jan 2024
  • At least 600 TP to retain Silver until Jan 2024
  • At least 1500 TP to retain Gold until Jan 2024
In practical terms, if there are not any new reductions then it means that your current collection year is currently the only opportunity to take advantage of lower targets.

Now of course, no one knows if BA will make further moves in this space. But at the moment, the situation is as I outline above.
efincomputer and KARFA like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks to both of you for the swift and comprehensive reply :-). That takes a bit of weight off, as i have flights planned to take me to Silver by mid-June, and then to Gold in October this year (assuming flights go ahead as planned, which is always a massive caveat in the current Covid-19 circumstances. My three trips in June are domestics (now on their 4th set of rebooked dates, so i know they might change again) and as these are currently for the sole purpose of a wee day out and to get TPs, i'm happy to adjust to different UK destinations as required, so reasonably comfortable that i'll get that milestone at the very least. If my mid-October US flights are disrupted, then i have a couple of months to reschedule them as required, and failing that i'll just cancel FTV and rebook next year, taking the hit for the additional TPs needed to get to Gold - it was more just a case of whether or not my flights were going to count for the reduced TPs before the end of this year or not, as i'd have been more than slightly unhappy if i'd taken my October trip only to find that the TPs didn't get me where i wanted to be and were wiped out by the end of the calendar year.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
It does seem something odd has happened to the second account since that should also have had the usual year end processing. Maybe give it another day or two and see what happens.
My end of year processing was done this morning (10 May) for some reason.
Markie, docsxx and KARFA like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had the same last year when the 8th feel on a weekend (different month).
Old May 10, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
I am GGL/CCR, with end of year processing today, zero flights in the past year, zero flights in the pipeline and only half vaccinated.
Even if I get fully vaccinated soon, with my usual destinations in East Asia and the US still largely closed or with long quarantine measures in place (and no expectation of a significant change in the short run), it is obvious to me now that I will not re-qualify for GGL. Now, BA has to decide how we both move forward in this relationship; they can give me another 12 month extension and I will stay loyal to BA or else I will vote with my feet. It has been fun crossing the world with BA for the last 10 years. No hard feelings. Up to them now!
Old May 10, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
still waiting for my answer in a similar case - its 15 days and counting.
Just out of curiosity, how many TP's you have flown in your current year?
I had 1300TP's + 0 qualifying flights ( + more than 500TP's in terms of cancelled flights ) when I made the request

It's really interesting that BA didn't reply to you in a timely manner.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docsxx
I am GGL/CCR, with end of year processing today, zero flights in the past year, zero flights in the pipeline and only half vaccinated.
Even if I get fully vaccinated soon, with my usual destinations in East Asia and the US still largely closed or with long quarantine measures in place (and no expectation of a significant change in the short run), it is obvious to me now that I will not re-qualify for GGL. Now, BA has to decide how we both move forward in this relationship; they can give me another 12 month extension and I will stay loyal to BA or else I will vote with my feet. It has been fun crossing the world with BA for the last 10 years. No hard feelings. Up to them now!
I am assuming your year end is January 2022 onwards? It may be that BA will do something in due course. They have already acted to protect those with year ends from July - December 2021, so it certainly is possible they may do something for those beyond that point.
docsxx likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Identical situation.
I've got a number of bookings. But two already cancelled, two more looking likely, and zero chance of GGL requalification for March 2022 as it looks.
If BA does nothing and I drop to Silver I will actively seek to attain status elsewhere.
docsxx likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
This year I have zero flights internationally, and 0 tier points for my collection year.

Emailed customer service support about two cancelled bookings that would have put me over 1125, but under 1500 TPs on 10 May.

On 12 May I receive the congratulations email that I have been granted BAEC Gold status.

Thanks BA, definitely going to book with BA for my next trip to Europe now.
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
A gleaming white envelope dropped onto the mat yesterday morning, containing a new CCR card valid until April 2022.

Thus BA have so far done all they promised: fair play to them.

Who knows what will happen next?

I am hopeful we can go to the pub next Saturday and sit indoors away from the cold and rain. I am equally hopeful we can get away in the van to a beautiful corner of the British Isles.

But flying somewhere, while most of the world is still in turmoil? Just can't see it happening this year.

With a wistful glance, I put the card in our desk drawer along with all the other shiny bits of plastic, relics of a former life...
​​​
​​​
Dambus, AdBoy, docsxx and 1 others like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:03 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had the same thing. I did spend some time on the 9th wondering if they were going to let me roll over the 1200 TPs I earned flying LHR-EDI-LHR during the year of Covid, but sadly, no.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Identical for me. In the last 20 years I don't think I've ever gone more than a few weeks between flights. My last flight was March 2020, so that's 14 months. Nothing flown, nothing booked, and also only half vaccinated. My main destinations are US east coast and Bangalore, and I can't see either country letting me enter for a while yet.

Whether it's through desperation to travel, masochism, or poor filing on my part, but I have an unused Concorde room card sitting on my desk at home taunting me. I just hope I get to use it at least once before it expires in September; I'm unlikely to ever get a new one in this new world of Zoom/Teams.
docsxx likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.