Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

* 20 Apr '22 UPDATE * : BAEC : status extensions & qualification thresholds reduced.

* 20 Apr '22 UPDATE * : BAEC : status extensions & qualification thresholds reduced.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 22, 9:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Wiki Link
AS OF 11 July 2022:

BRITISH AIRWAYS PROTECTS TIER STATUS FOR ITS LOYAL EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
  • Gold Guest List with renewal dates July-December 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Gold members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Silver and bronze do not get any further renewal
  • However, Silver members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will given a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed (From 600 to 300 TPs)
  • Everyone else still gets the 25% reduction in tier points until 31 December. This also applies if you want to qualify for a higher status level.

See post 796 for further details https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32452931-post796.html

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

20 Sep 21 Update - see post #3594 onwards

21 Dec 21 Update - see post #3942 onwards

20 Apr 22 Update - see post #4483 onwards

The graph Illustrated below covers simple renewal milestones (collection year start/end dates) onto a blue bar (mid blue represents your current membership year; dark blue represents the extension periods). This does not touch the effect tier jumps have on the extension end dates. You can find confirmation of the extension being added to your BAEC account via "My Executive Club". This is signified by the "Card expiry date"

Updated 20 September 2021

Coronavirus: How the Executive Club is supporting you
Were adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever youre ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.

Whats more, it will be even easier to retain your status next time youre up for renewal, as weve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrades thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.

This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds, as shown below:

Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
Gold: 1125 Tier Points
Gold Guest List: 3,750 Tier Points (to attain), 2,250 Tier Points (to retain) [not in the original email but understood to be true]

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, weve applied 6-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

See link to BA site for further FAQs.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 21, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
Agreed - I'm also in the same boat and have been itching for any travel to open up since Feb - yet nothing. We will be looking at now a full half-year of flying not even allowed as it stands currently, and who knows when things will open up even for short haul EU destinations - so how can anyone earn status?

I think it is incredibly unfair because while some short-haul and the US/Middle East may open up in the next few months, it is very unlikely Asia/Australia/NZ/Africa/South America will open up till sometime in 2022. How is it fair that we have to earn 75% of the required tier points to requalify with none of those options available and at best half a year to earn anything?
Quite agree with everything here. Short of BA doing an individual analysis of everyone's common routings and a judgement on whether they are disrupted, it would be very unfair to assume that everyone can and has the need to fly just because some destinations are opening up.

I really think going forward BA should have a 25-50% reduction to thresholds on ALL current status holders (at their existing status), and a rolling blanket extension when more than that percentage of the year are disrupted (and by disrupted I mean any limits compared to the pre-COVID route network not operating (minus those routes announced as axed)). As I have said a few times before, someone who regularly travels to destination X will not just go to destination Y with the same frequency just because one destination is open and the other is not!

I also think that given the potential additional costs of travel, e.g. 200-400 covid tests for a return trip, some thought needs to be given to tweaking tier thresholds. If I am having to pay for COVID testing, I am less likely/able to upgrade a cabin (be it personal, or for work as we operate with fixed travel budgets which may not be adjusted to reflct testing costs). This is not due to my willingness, but changes in costs of travel.
HB7 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
So I was downgraded from silver to bronze last year. My TP collection ended in March. I was pretty irritated when I saw April TP expirations get extended to 2021 and I guess 2022 now.

Has anyone had any success complaining to BA who was downgraded? I was planning a couple of trips in the future and status/no status would make a difference on what I booked...
Old Apr 9, 21, 11:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
So I was downgraded from silver to bronze last year. My TP collection ended in March. I was pretty irritated when I saw April TP expirations get extended to 2021 and I guess 2022 now.

Has anyone had any success complaining to BA who was downgraded? I was planning a couple of trips in the future and status/no status would make a difference on what I booked...
Did you have trips booked in your 9 March 2019 to 8 March 2020 collection year which were cancelled due to COVID?
Old Apr 10, 21, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

I'm not sure how much of an argument you will have considering BA was operating most of it's normal schedule up to about mid March when the US ban for UK/EU came into effect.
Old Apr 10, 21, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
Sure, I could do a number of LHR-MAN-LHR returns if I was that desperate to retain status. But realistically, who is going to do that?!
To honest though, given that it will probably be one of the only hassle free (no testing etc) routes we are legally allowed to do at the moment why would you not do it? The only reason I haven't booked any yet is because LHR is a bit difficult for me to get to within a reasonable timeframe (can't stay away from home overnight obviously). However I would have been on those LGW-MAN flights had they not pushed them back.
drwook likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 4:12 am

I've finally found an advantage of dropping to Bronze at the end of 2019. I don't care about any extensions
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:40 am

I for one will benefit from the continued reduction. Tier year end in January, 2 x First flights to the US later in the year and 1 x Club flight to Spain over summer will get me to gold for the first time. I would never have been able to get to gold without the 25% reduction or the lack of travel last year meaning I have more this year to spend. It seems there are a lot of disappointed travellers out there and the odd few like me who are coming out on top.

Now heres to praying that the domestic flights dont get culled much more resulting in overnights at LHR 🤞🏻

Last edited by Mr Silver K; Apr 10, 21 at 6:49 am
Old Apr 10, 21, 6:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Spire Elite and lots more....
Quick question, is there any reduction in earnings requirements for new members or are these all at the standard rate?
Old Apr 10, 21, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Did you have trips booked in your 9 March 2019 to 8 March 2020 collection year which were cancelled due to COVID?
I did. 2 trips in march, in fact.
Old Apr 10, 21, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SonicStar817 View Post
I'm not sure how much of an argument you will have considering BA was operating most of it's normal schedule up to about mid March when the US ban for UK/EU came into effect.
Yeah. Well, I usually requalify in March on 2 or so us-lhr round-trips, but those got cancelled
Old Apr 10, 21, 9:36 am

I did. 2 trips in march, in fact.
ok. But I assume your didnt earn sufficient points in your 9 March 2019 to 8 March 2020 collection year to maintain silver? How far were you off in that collection year? I only ask as if you had trips cancelled in that collection year which would have made up the deficient you could ask ba to look at that.
Old Apr 10, 21, 9:54 am

ok. But I assume your didnt earn sufficient points in your 9 March 2019 to 8 March 2020 collection year to maintain silver? How far were you off in that collection year? I only ask as if you had trips cancelled in that collection year which would have made up the deficient you could ask ba to look at that.
Hm. Actually, looking at my account, it appears that my tier point year resets on May 9th.

I had two J trips booked from the US-LHR on this account, on on March 14 and one on April 17, both cancelled due to COVID. I think that they would have been enough to requalify for silver.

I had 0 TP in March, though. My strategy is usually to renew BA status at the end of the TP year. Most of my flying is used to requalify for AA/EXP status.

​​
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 10:06 am

Hm. Actually, looking at my account, it appears that my tier point year resets on May 9th.

I had two J trips booked from the US-LHR on this account, on on March 14 and one on April 17, both cancelled due to COVID. I think that they would have been enough to requalify for silver.

I had 0 TP in March, though. My strategy is usually to renew BA status at the end of the TP year. Most of my flying is used to requalify for AA/EXP status.

​​
Aha, ok. So for April-June 2020 year ends there was a 30% reduction in thresholds which is discussed here COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Additionally if you had trips cancelled during the March to 8 May 2020 period which would have got you to the reduced silver threshold you may be able to request BA renewed you at silver in May 2020, a few people did do that when they provided details of the cancelled bookings and TPs they would have earned. May be worth a shot, but as we are a year on it may be difficult to get it agreed.
no2chem likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 10:21 am

Aha, ok. So for April-June 2020 year ends there was a 30% reduction in thresholds which is discussed here COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Additionally if you had trips cancelled during the March to 8 May 2020 period which would have got you to the reduced silver threshold you may be able to request BA renewed you at silver in May 2020, a few people did do that when they provided details of the cancelled bookings and TPs they would have earned. May be worth a shot, but as we are a year on it may be difficult to get it agreed.
Thanks! Yeah, Im not sure why BA had to do it in this weird way and not give out blanket extensions to begin with like every other carrier. I guess I haven't flown once in the last year so I haven't paid much attention to it, should have when they gave out the extensions last June.

Will try even though it's been a year and report back.
Old Apr 10, 21, 10:24 am

​​
Ah okay then. So you were affected after all. At this point you can take Karfa's advice and try emailing using the webform with your cancelled flight details from last year. Its worth a shot but I can't see it being successful given the time past. But who knows, maybe they would surprise us.

Search this Thread