Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm an "August" person, and still sitting on a big fat zero points. GGL status is slipping away.....
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
Similar. My reset is July and can see GGL level drifting into the distance never to be renewed.. If only I had a May renewal date like Mrs BB
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bluebrummie2000
Similar. My reset is July and can see GGL level drifting into the distance never to be renewed.. If only I had a May renewal date like Mrs BB
My reset date is the same and it is highly unlikely I will fly a significant amount before then. I assume most are in a similar position and have assumed that status will get rolled over again.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well in relatively unimportant news, my replacement BAEC card arrived today, almost 3 months after my previous card expired.....
Ditto. Mine arrived yesterday for my July reset. 'Emotionally unattached' sums it up nicely. Like you, I'd earned sufficient points to renew pre the June extension so didn't benefit from the infamous email.
No travel for me before Xmas, so 6 months into my TP year I'll still be on 0TP, with no prospect of getting anywhere close to renewing GGL and CCR card by 8 July.
As each month goes by, retaining BA status and remaining loyal becomes less of an issue to me and other options are looked at.
It's clearly a hugely difficult time for the airline but I've still received nothing from BA that I hadn't earned already. Even the letter acknowledges that when it says I've retained GGL because of my current balance!
ThatT1Feeling and Shuttle like this.

Last edited by gcuk; Nov 24, 2020 at 8:09 am
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
I haven't looked at this thread in ages, as I am another of the "requalified in any case before the extension announcement" and this extension offer has given me no additional benefit. I just had a look to see if anything had changed over the last few months for people that had requalified anyway (no). I'm not holding out for any concession from BA next year either.

Similarly to the recent posters, given the travel outlook, the fact that the countries I travel to are all likely to remain with external border entry restrictions and a continuing corporate travel ban, the chance of me getting even the reduced points for requalification next year are nil-to-negligible.

I'm not holding out for any concession from BA next year either.

But as always, it is of some comfort to read I am not the only one :-)

Shuttle
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

I'm still apparently one of their most valued members (as per the letter) but with the end date of the card remaining at Aug '21, their actions aren't exactly matching their words.
Unless something changes - and I hope it does for your sake and others in the same boat - you are being right royally screwed by this.
ThatT1Feeling and Arsey00 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Shuttle
I haven't looked at this thread in ages, as I am another of the "requalified in any case before the extension announcement" and this extension offer has given me no additional benefit. I just had a look to see if anything had changed over the last few months for people that had requalified anyway (no). I'm not holding out for any concession from BA next year either.

Similarly to the recent posters, given the travel outlook, the fact that the countries I travel to are all likely to remain with external border entry restrictions and a continuing corporate travel ban, the chance of me getting even the reduced points for requalification next year are nil-to-negligible.

I'm not holding out for any concession from BA next year either.

But as always, it is of some comfort to read I am not the only one :-)

Shuttle
I’m in a very similar situation Shuttle- had well over 1500TP’s worth of flights booked which got cancelled- I would have hit Gold by late March for an Aug renewal. Unfortunately absolutely no way of making 1125TPs this year at the current rate- I’m hoping there will be some form of concession for July/August 21 renewals, but also not holding my breath on that one!
Shuttle likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Can someone explain what my situation is please?

My date was 8 June 2020 - I reached the standard threshold anyway for renewed until June 2021 - but like others here there is no way I am going to get even 1,125TP by June next year - assuming vaccines and everything is sort of back to normal by April.

My card expiry date is 31 July 2022 - Does this mean I will soft land to Silver in June next year? Or stay Gold for another year?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Spinstorm

My date was 8 June 2020 - I reached the standard threshold anyway for renewed until June 2021 - but like others here there is no way I am going to get even 1,125TP by June next year - assuming vaccines and everything is sort of back to normal by April.

My card expiry date is 31 July 2022 - Does this mean I will soft land to Silver in June next year? Or stay Gold for another year?
You don't need to earn a single TP before June 9th 2021.

To extend your Gold beyond July 31 2022, you need to earn 1125 TP between June 9th 2021 and June 8th 2022 inclusive.
​​​​​
June members do well under BA's policies here, so unlike many above, you've been lucky.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I'm still apparently one of their most valued members (as per the letter) but with the end date of the card remaining at Aug '21, their actions aren't exactly matching their words.
Urgh, that opening sentence in the letter! It's the sort of claim you'd expect from a populist politician, shamelessly and openly contrary to the obvious reality of the situation. You'd almost suspect someone was trolling members
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spinstorm

You are in the most fortunate category. You renewed Gold at 8 June 2020 so your new collection year ended 8 June 2021. You were then extended as Gold for your TP year to 8 June 2022, so June next year is irrelevant and your Gold status is good until 31July 2022. If you fail to requalify at 8 June 2022, you will soft land to silver at 31July 2022. The other good news is your 1125 TP target to retain gold only starts from 9 June 2021.
BertieBadger and Spinstorm like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Urgh, that opening sentence in the letter! It's the sort of claim you'd expect from a populist politician, shamelessly and openly contrary to the obvious reality of the situation. You'd almost suspect someone was trolling members
It reminds me of an open letter from Lucy Kellaway to Oscar Munoz, reproduced here:

After promising to listen and learn (though not, I note, to act or to fix), you add: “Our passion for the safety of our customers and our people will be at the core of everything we do.” If I were you, I’d keep passion as far away from safety as you can. When you are in a metal box hurtling through the air at 30,000 feet, passionate people are a liability: what is needed instead are unexcitable types who thrive on dull precision. To achieve your goal, you pledge: “My co-workers and I will work each and every day.” Again, I urge you to do nothing of the sort. If you work each and every day, you’ll go nuts and accidents will happen. I suggest you all take regular and frequent breaks. ...
Tocsin, ENTP and BertieBadger like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Dear members,

If we look at an objective perspective all members whose tier year starts/ends between January and June are at the moment safe.
For those who have a tier year that starts/ends between July and December; it's obvious that BA needs to re-consider their extension policy or their reduced thresholds.

We are currently in an era where vaccines are tested and things could rapidly change; BA still hasn't adjusted their schedule for 10 January and onwards, plus most of the summer seasonal routes have not been adjusted for S21 yet. Nobody yet knows how travel would continue after February 2021 and it's really hard to make a prediction at this time. We all know that BA waited until June 2020 to announce the reduced thresholds and a +12 month extension while other airlines did it in March or April 2020.

So my takeaway is that; ( these are opinions based than confirmed facts )
- BA might consider an extension or another reduction in thresholds at a later stage ( most likely during Spring 2021 ) depending on how travel evolves.
- BA was not the first carrier to implement the status extension at the first point so I wouldn't expect BA to make their final decision just because airline X has extended their member's status. BA might wait until a later stage.
- If BA wants to be fair to everyone, they would also consider those who've flown this year during these difficult times and met the reduced thresholds ( especially those who paid for CW and F during the cost-cutting period because of their loyalty ).
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:00 pm

September end here, zero TPs and very likey my main destination countries won't allow me in without quarantine until there is a vaccine. Assuming I can travel from May onwards (last 40% of my year), I could probably just get to 750TPs in the final 30% of my year based on planned work and personal travel (and assuming certain destinations open up), but that is closer to 50% of Gold renewal threshold, and a long way off 75%.

Given the roll out of the vaccine will impact people at different rates, it is difficult to see how BA will deal with this in terms of personal willingness to travel and destination allowing travel without quarantine, plus vs timing of vacinations. Those who can travel freely first will be those in older age groups, while those of us travelling for work will mainly be the last...!

Just hope there is another extension, or at least a further threshold reduction....
Or make it conditional upon one or two BA sectors (as Qantas seems to be doing), but even that will only work for those renewing in the final third of the year.

I guess we will need to see what the picture is looking like in early 2021...
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
- If BA wants to be fair to everyone, they would also consider those who've flown this year during these difficult times and met the reduced thresholds ( especially those who paid for CW and F during the cost-cutting period because of their loyalty ).
Would this be fair to everyone? Some of us have been staying at home to control the virus, as advised by our government, plus our employers, their insurance, and/or our destinations have not been willing to let us travel. Plus mindful of family members who need our proximate availability and support with outside logistics (like grocery shopping), meaning we cannot be away for long periods, and certainly not risk being confined to quarantine for 2 weeks in the UK.
If I had felt safe and been allowed to travel, I would have done. This does not make me less loyal than those with different risk perceptions and allowances than me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.