Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

* 20 Apr '22 UPDATE * : BAEC : status extensions & qualification thresholds reduced.

* 20 Apr '22 UPDATE * : BAEC : status extensions & qualification thresholds reduced.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 22, 9:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Wiki Link
AS OF 11 July 2022:

BRITISH AIRWAYS PROTECTS TIER STATUS FOR ITS LOYAL EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
  • Gold Guest List with renewal dates July-December 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Gold members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Silver and bronze do not get any further renewal
  • However, Silver members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will given a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed (From 600 to 300 TPs)
  • Everyone else still gets the 25% reduction in tier points until 31 December. This also applies if you want to qualify for a higher status level.

See post 796 for further details https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32452931-post796.html

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

20 Sep 21 Update - see post #3594 onwards

21 Dec 21 Update - see post #3942 onwards

20 Apr 22 Update - see post #4483 onwards

The graph Illustrated below covers simple renewal milestones (collection year start/end dates) onto a blue bar (mid blue represents your current membership year; dark blue represents the extension periods). This does not touch the effect tier jumps have on the extension end dates. You can find confirmation of the extension being added to your BAEC account via "My Executive Club". This is signified by the "Card expiry date"

Updated 20 September 2021

Coronavirus: How the Executive Club is supporting you
We’re adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership – so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.

What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrades thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.

This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds, as shown below:

Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
Gold: 1125 Tier Points
Gold Guest List: 3,750 Tier Points (to attain), 2,250 Tier Points (to retain) [not in the original email but understood to be true]

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’ve applied 6-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

See link to BA site for further FAQs.

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 24, 20, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (OWE) -- FB Platinum -- *A Gold
Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but I'm wondering something regarding the lowered TP requirement:
My collection year ends on 8th November, and I need 365 more TP to reach the 1125 required to get Gold (as showed on both the app and the website). So that means the lowered requirement already applies to me (I'm not sure why since I've requalified back in February but anyway).
Here are my questions:
1) If I become Gold before the 8th, will I keep it until December 2021 or 2022?
2) Will the reduced TP requirement still apply to me next year regardless?

Thank you for your insights
Old Oct 24, 20, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by The Young Traveller View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but I'm wondering something regarding the lowered TP requirement:
My collection year ends on 8th November, and I need 365 more TP to reach the 1125 required to get Gold (as showed on both the app and the website). So that means the lowered requirement already applies to me (I'm not sure why since I've requalified back in February but anyway).
Here are my questions:
1) If I become Gold before the 8th, will I keep it until December 2021 or 2022?
2) Will the reduced TP requirement still apply to me next year regardless?

Thank you for your insights
A couple of pointers that’ll help clarify this:

1. So essentially on June 11th, what was your status? Whatever you status was on that day will be what your status should be till December 2021 as a minimum
2. If you did go ahead and achieve Gold by earning those 325 TPs before November 8th 2020, the question of whether your Gold status would be till December 2021 or 2022 will depend on if you’ve ever achieved Gold before. If you have never achieved Gold in the history of your BAEC membership, then you will likely keep Gold until December 2022. If you have been Gold before, then it’ll remain December 2021.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 25, 20, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
A couple of pointers that’ll help clarify this:

1. So essentially on June 11th, what was your status? Whatever you status was on that day will be what your status should be till December 2021 as a minimum
2. If you did go ahead and achieve Gold by earning those 325 TPs before November 8th 2020, the question of whether your Gold status would be till December 2021 or 2022 will depend on if you’ve ever achieved Gold before. If you have never achieved Gold in the history of your BAEC membership, then you will likely keep Gold until December 2022. If you have been Gold before, then it’ll remain December 2021.

Hope that helps.
1. On June 11th I was Silver, as I had already requalified in February, so the year extension was no benefit to me.
2. Last time I was Gold was three years ago, so I would upgrade this year if I earned those 365TP in time, but would that give me an extra year then?
3. Will the reduced TP requirement still apply for my membership year starting this 8th November?

Thank you.

Last edited by The Young Traveller; Oct 25, 20 at 2:49 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Data Point
Collection year ends Nov 8th.

Since the 12 month extension was announced I have progressed from blue through bronze and on to silver.

Neither of the two promotions has triggered an extra year so account still showing until Dec 21.

Has anyone had any joy with requesting the years extension through BAEC?
Did you progress tiers very recently? There are a lot of data points over the summer of people getting the extra 12 months so if you progressed back then that's unlucky. If it's more recent then it could be that ba has changed the logic.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:10 am

Progressed to silver last week and have flights booked to take me to gold before my year end.
My dilemma is whether to delay those flights until my new collection year and try to get to gold quickly (more expensive option) or take the flights as planned and hope for the year extension.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by The Young Traveller View Post
1. On June 11th I was Silver, as I had already requalified in February, so the year extension was no benefit to me.
2. Last time I was Gold was three years ago, so I would upgrade this year if I earned those 365TP in time, but would that give me an extra year then?
3. Will the reduced TP requirement still apply for my membership year starting this 8th November?

Thank you.
1. You can take comfort in the fact that you're not alone in this case.
2. That will be a luck of the draw kind of thing. Some have, some haven't.
3. Yes.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:48 am

All right, thank you alex67500 and AirbusA350
alex67500 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Progressed to silver last week and have flights booked to take me to gold before my year end.
My dilemma is whether to delay those flights until my new collection year and try to get to gold quickly (more expensive option) or take the flights as planned and hope for the year extension.
That's a tricky one, and I doubt there's much point in hoping for BA putting it 'right' in case you don't get an extension. Since you've already progressed through bronze and silver and not benefited from the extension, I'd be minded to think Gold also won't trigger the extension. Whether the stop on extensions when moving up tiers is universal or not, it seems your account is one of the unlucky ones that didn't benefit from it anyway.

Would be good to hear from recent data points of people benefitting (or not) from the extra 12 months when moving up a tier.
Old Oct 25, 20, 3:53 am

Thank you
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club: Silver
I see here that a number of people were successful in claiming the next status level based on cancelled flights, without actually accruing the tier points needed, even with the reduced requirements (congratulations if you were one of them!). I'm about 400 TPs short of the reduced 1125 TP requirement for a 8 Nov collection end date. My bookings for the summer that saw cancellations from BA (and one from me due to quarantine requirement) over the summer would have gotten me past the threshold, so would have the domestic TP runs I had booked for now, some legs of which got cancelled. All in all, I had 2 distinct sets of bookings (one over the summer and one now) that would have earned me the TPs I need to get Gold that didn't go through, and my third set has now seen a cancellation.
  1. Do I have a decent case to claim the upgrade?
  2. Those of us who do get upgraded, to they get it for just one year or also the extension?
  3. Is this the right place to write to them: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal ?
Thanks!

Last edited by GXWBA; Oct 26, 20 at 10:42 pm
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GXWBA View Post
2. Those of us who do get upgraded, to they get it for just one year or also the extension?
I was upgraded to Gold because the flights on which I was booked and which BA cancelled would have taken me beyond 1,500 in the 2019-20 membership year. My Silver had already been extended from a 2020 expiry to a 2021 expiry, and the upgrade to Gold did not get me a further year's extension.
GXWBA likes this.
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:18 am

My current silver status is valid till Dec 2022, if I succeed in convincing them to upgrade me, will it be 2021 or 2022?
Thanks!
Do you mean your silver is valid until Dec 21? The only way you could have silver until Dec 22 is if you've already benefited from extension twice, right? Have you already gone from bronze to silver this year?

I would think if they agree to extend you then they'll just change silver to gold and not mess around with dates, but upgrading without flying TPs seems to be a fairly manual process (hence no additional 12 months awarded usually) so who knows what will really happen
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:24 am

Do you mean your silver is valid until Dec 21? The only way you could have silver until Dec 22 is if you've already benefited from extension twice, right?
My collection end date is 08 Nov 2020 and Silver was valid until Dec 2021 before extension. They extended it to Dec 2022. This makes it particularly enticing to get Gold assuming it remains valid for another 26 months!
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:47 am

My collection end date is 08 Nov 2020 and Silver was valid until Dec 2021 before extension. They extended it to Dec 2022. This makes it particularly enticing to get Gold assuming it remains valid for another 26 months!
Ah OK so you had already qualified for Silver in this TP year before the extensions were processed. Certainly seems worthwhile asking them to consider your cancelled TPs, and failing that, push for a last minute TP runs (remember you can most likely also get 2 week grace period past your collection period end).

Let us know how it goes!

edit: from your earlier post, you seem to have 400 TPs cancelled, plus a now cancelled domestic TP run. Does adding the latter to your lost TPs count bring you above 1500 TPs total? It seems BA are more likely to grant you Gold if your earnt TPs + cancelled TPs are above 1500 TPs rather than the reduced threshold
GXWBA likes this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 10:52 pm

I wrote to them and received the most generic response about how they're extending memberships by 12 months and reducing TP requirements (everything from back in the summer), which suggests that they didn't even read the email where I detailed how I missed multiple opportunities to reach Gold due to BA cancellations. It was absolutely nothing like the responses I see above where they at least engage in a pertinent discussion (including "Sorry but we don't think you qualify because.."). Is https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal the right place to write to them?

Originally Posted by s1362083 View Post
edit: from your earlier post, you seem to have 400 TPs cancelled, plus a now cancelled domestic TP run. Does adding the latter to your lost TPs count bring you above 1500 TPs total? It seems BA are more likely to grant you Gold if your earnt TPs + cancelled TPs are above 1500 TPs rather than the reduced threshold
Counting the lost TPs due to cancellations in the summer and two runs which were cancelled now does bring me up over 1500, though they only cancelled one or two legs of the runs so I wonder if I have much of a strong position there?

Last edited by GXWBA; Oct 26, 20 at 11:29 pm

Search this Thread