BA to sell Art works

Old Jun 10, 20, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
BA to sell Art works

Interesting article in this evenings London Evening Standard. For those not aware the London Evening Standard is a Weekday publication available I believe primarily in the London area. For those whom dont have access to the article as a hard copy see the link below.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4464891.html

ML
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fiver for the broken mirror cloud outside the Heathrow South Lounges.
Old Jun 10, 20, 5:56 pm

I hope they donít sell the horse with lamp shade on its head whatcamacallit. Itís always been the distinctive feature of the T5 lounge!
Old Jun 10, 20, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
I hope they donít sell the horse with lamp shade on its head whatcamacallit. Itís always been the distinctive feature of the T5 lounge!
​​​​
Nothing that can't be reproduced by Wayfair or Argos for a fraction of the price I'm sure.
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:02 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
The article initially implies the artworks in the lounges will be sold, but then says the sale selection is coming from the corporate offices.
Old Jun 10, 20, 11:54 pm

I just hope this isn't actually meaning that they'll get rid of the Museum. It'd be a slap to the memory of Paul Jarvis and a slap at the great curators who work there.

As for art in the offices, there are a number of old posters there as well as some Tracey Emin paintings on the street. In all honesty, I've never quite gotten them, but I'm a peasant.
Cris L, Lynyrd and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Having enjoyed many a pre-flight glass of red with Marilyn in T5S I hope the photos aren’t sold.
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:53 am

This smacks as a publicity stunt. A few £m isn’t going to make an iota of difference to their cash flow. It just makes it sound to the press and, sadly to unions “look things are so bad we are selling the family silver”...

I bid £5 for the horse with lamp in its head

Last edited by sjoh1271; Jun 11, 20 at 12:54 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:58 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I bid 6.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
The article initially implies the artworks in the lounges will be sold, but then says the sale selection is coming from the corporate offices.
The corporate offices have artwork of such value that it makes sense to hold a sale? When they were purchasing these the fiscal responsibility must have been holidaying...
tbm13 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB
Drew Pritchard will probably nab the horse.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It'll probably turn out that these were phonies in the first place - and No, you cannot have the horse from First Wing entrance. I have already bought it to hang clothes. The neighbours are unanimous in their admiration as I had Him Indoors and Monsieur Panier the Gardener put it in the Front Garden.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 2:16 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
The horse lamps are readily available - not that such a thing would find a place in Kasteel V10.

I don't see the point personally, unless they've somehow managed to end up with Da Vinci's Salvator Mundi on the wall of SeŮor Cruz's office. Certainly corporate art ownership is not that unusual and here at least it's serving a purpose.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 2:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by CzeSEN View Post
The corporate offices have artwork of such value that it makes sense to hold a sale? When they were purchasing these the fiscal responsibility must have been holidaying...
BA has built up an impressive portfolio of artwork over several decades, by purchasing and commissioning work by contemporary British artists - including Bridget Riley, Tracey Emin, Damien Hurst, and Anish Kapoor. It has a tradition of commissioning work of the country's emerging talents, many of which can be seen in the lounges at Heathrow and JFK. As the value of the collection has soared over the years, it seems quite sensible to auction off the highest value pieces. I hope this doesn't signal an end to supporting young talent though.
Old Jun 11, 20, 2:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I hope this doesn't signal an end to supporting young talent though.
I for one would rather that they support the talented people, old and young, who work for them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: