Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with BA.com and Chromium Edge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

yup

Version 83.0.478.45 (Official build) (64-bit)
This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Surely what people wish to use for a web browser is up to them - suggesting using another browser that the person might think is superior / denigrading what the person wants to use, hardly helps address if there is an issue with the browser/help person work with it
This is true. In this case, personal experience is necessary to address this issue. And who uses Edge? The bulk of many people's experience with Edge is to download Chrome or Firefox. That is how we fix all problems with Edge, so that's what we advise.

But seriously, I'm sure that Edge is perfectly capable of holding preferences. It is likely a setting somewhere. But like many desktop users, the extent of my experience with Edge is pretty much limited to downloading Chrome, so I cannot say precisely where to go. I seriously doubt it's an issue with BA's website because if it was, the same issue would likely be on Chrome as well.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by g289t
This is true. In this case, personal experience is necessary to address this issue. And who uses Edge? The bulk of many people's experience with Edge is to download Chrome or Firefox. That is how we fix all problems with Edge, so that's what we advise.
many people do use the built in facilities of the OS

And if not having any personal experience or being prepared to test it, then the approproate approach is it (a) to attack the choice o browser or (b) leave it to those that may have the personal experience or are prepared to test it out and assist ?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 8, 2020 at 4:20 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Stormbel
If you do some searching you will find out what to change to reset the inflated address bar at least for the time being.
I sorted v75 with the about:config changes, but haven’t been able to find a similar fix for v77.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OT, but I tried the Iberia website the other day using Edge (as Chrome was playing up) and suddenly the flight selection pages looked modern and useful rather than the 1990's look served up in Chrome!
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Raffles
OT, but I tried the Iberia website the other day using Edge (as Chrome was playing up) and suddenly the flight selection pages looked modern and useful rather than the 1990's look served up in Chrome!
Browser cache can sometimes play a part of this (I.e. displaying old content as opposed to updated content) if it has not been cleared for some time.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
many people do use the built in facilities of the OS

And if not having any personal experience or being prepared to test it, then the approproate approach is it (a) to attack the choice o browser or (b) leave it to those that may have the personal experience or are prepared to test it out and assist ?
I used to work in IT. I worked mostly in Microsoft enterprise software, but at times I would help out on the PC repair bench at my workplace. I know from working with PC home users that yes, many people do use the default features of any OS. I also know that the browser is the one exception. IE and Edge have a miniscule market share. Elderly grandmothers who hardly knew how to boot up their computer would have another browser installed.

I stand by my statement that few use Edge, meaning that few are going to know how to help. The common "solution" is to use another browser.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Hi Chris_G

I've Just used the following version of Edge and same behavior as you.

Oddly - I've also tried Chrome and getting the exact same behavior in Chrome (I'm trying to set to Ireland English) but the site always goes to UK - English when use britishairways.com - so I'm wondering if the site may be directing based on IP address?!?

Most consistent method of getting my chosen local is to use/bookmark the following address:

britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb/
britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_ie/
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by g289t

I stand by my statement that few use Edge, meaning that few are going to know how to help. The common "solution" is to use another browser.
That isn't a solution to a quesiton on how Edge is working with the BA website - maybe few people do use edge as a browser , but the OP's question wasnt 'should I use another browser' but whether this issue applied to others

Accessing It seems that as long as the website is allowed to save cookies , the region seems to be staying with the redirect requested after closing the browser and restarting - once the cookies for BA are deleted it returns to the local site - to OP, check whether BA.com/britishairways.com is able to save cookies / has set any cookies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.