Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels LHR-BKK on 7th July - but booked with Amex 241 and Avios - options ?

Old Jun 5, 20, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club

BA cancelled LHR-BKK leaving 07/07/20 on 03/06/20 which was about 34 days before the outbound leg. The inbound leg due 29/08/20 has not been cancelled.

On the telephone, BA only wanted to offer a refund, which is useless, as even refunding the Amex 241 is pointless as we already have another for next year.

They then said they could not reroute on a non Oneworld carrier but the guy on the phone had no authority to book a flight on any carrier.

Where do I stand ? We need to fly, Thailand is open from 01/07/20 so BA could fly but has chosen not to. My brief read of the CAA material suggests BA have to arrange flights or we can purchase and sue to recover from BA.
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

I should add that this booking was made T355 back in 2019.
Old Jun 6, 20, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Did you ask about being rebooked on Qatar for 7 July?
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:05 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Do note that Thailand is not confirmed to re-open for international flights in 1 July, it is only ‘planned’, and much can change between now and then.

Add to that, nobody knows the requirements for entry into the Kingdom at that time either - before the emergency decree went into force banning pax flights into the country, the measures in force were already a de facto closure of borders, so if they go back to that you may have a hard time entering the country.

As for BA, I think as long as they offer you a refund, they have no obligation to rebook you on other carriers given they notify you this far in advance.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
As for BA, I think as long as they offer you a refund, they have no obligation to rebook you on other carriers given they notify you this far in advance.
Just to clarify, for a cancellation you are always entitled to your choice of a refund or re-route regardless of when you were informed of the cancellation. The 14 day notice period for a cancellation only relates to whether compensation may be due.
Tobias-UK and pauldb like this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
It is highly unlikely as a foreigner you will be granted leave to enter Thailand in July without a work permit or some form of long stay visa for retirement etc.
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Thailand is not open for tourism from 1 July. Thailand is closed to all visitors until 30 June. Nothing further has been officially announced, and there is a big difference. I would expect the ban on tourism to be extended but the entry for essential travel to be relaxed (as has already been announced.)
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:50 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Thailand is not open for tourism from 1 July. Thailand is closed to all visitors until 30 June. Nothing further has been officially announced, and there is a big difference. I would expect the ban on tourism to be extended but the entry for essential travel to be relaxed (as has already been announced.)
Exactly - especially the fact that they only just now allow people like myself holding a valid work permit to enter provided you fulfil a set of very strict requirements indicates that the country will not open up to tourism any time soon. As much as I would like to travel, this is not something I will avail myself of except in case of emergency as I would effectively leaving the country without being 100% that certain I can return.

I hope the country will open sooner rather than later - but I suspect we will open up to Chinese tourists as some of the first, and stay shut to most others.
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Do note that Thailand is not confirmed to re-open for international flights in 1 July, it is only ‘planned’, and much can change between now and then.

Add to that, nobody knows the requirements for entry into the Kingdom at that time either - before the emergency decree went into force banning pax flights into the country, the measures in force were already a de facto closure of borders, so if they go back to that you may have a hard time entering the country.

No, Thailand is open from late on 30/06/20.

Yes, it could be extended, but at the time of writing this and at the time of BA cancelling, it is open.

Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
It is highly unlikely as a foreigner you will be granted leave to enter Thailand in July without a work permit or some form of long stay visa for retirement etc.
This is pure speculation but of no consequence as we hold Thai passports.

This is not tourism. Thai passport holders returning to Thailand.

In addition, the current regulations have an end date and time. Nothing more is required as they will elapse at that time. Though a confirmation of position would be welcome.

Exactly - especially the fact that they only just now allow people like myself holding a valid work permit to enter provided you fulfil a set of very strict requirements indicates that the country will not open up to tourism any time soon. As much as I would like to travel, this is not something I will avail myself of except in case of emergency as I would effectively leaving the country without being 100% that certain I can return.

I hope the country will open sooner rather than later - but I suspect we will open up to Chinese tourists as some of the first, and stay shut to most others.
There is a list you are correct but this is Thai passport holders returning to Thailand.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 6, 20 at 5:03 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Talay View Post
No, Thailand is open from late on 30/06/20.

Yes, it could be extended, but at the time of writing this and at the time of BA cancelling, it is open.
Sorry, but you are wrong.
Thailand is slowly opening up to domestic tourists, but not international tourists. No date is set for international tourists. The fourth quarteer has been repeatedly mentioned. But this is Thailand , so anything could quickly change. But I doubt that high-risk Britain will be on top of the list.
Here is a recent CNN article. A bit old but no news since:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...0of%20Bangkok.

Also note that TG is in banruptcy proceedings and cancelled all flights till end-July.

Sorry, you posted that you are not tourist while I was writing
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Talay View Post
This is not tourism. Thai passport holders returning to Thailand.

In addition, the current regulations have an end date and time. Nothing more is required as they will elapse at that time. Though a confirmation of position would be welcome.
Ok, so in your case Thailand was never closed to you.
cjb666 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Under EU261 you are entitled to be re-routed on any other airline. I suggest you phone again and ask to be moved to either Qatar via Doha or even Royal Jordanian via Amman, both airlines have flights departing on 7 July. Alternatively request a reroute via Eva Air which according to ITA Matrix has a direct flight LHR-BKK departing on 8 July. I am not sure about the quarantine issues in Jordan but I am pretty sure you can get to Bangkok on Qatar. Good luck.
Old Jun 6, 20, 7:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Ok, so in your case Thailand was never closed to you.
... but Thailand was closed to all inbound international passenger flights save for 2 Thai Airways repatriation flights.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 8:09 am

If you are Thai returning home, best coordinate with the Embassy in your location beforehand considering the requirements in place.

Regardless, you can’t sue BA for not offering rebooking on every other airline.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 20, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GOLD/ VS SILVER / WY GOLD/ SQ SILVER
out of interest which class where you booked in?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: