Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA hotel partners: No more Langham or Mandarin Oriental perks with a gold card

Old Jun 4, 20, 5:32 am
Original Poster

British Airways had a long-standing partnership with the Langham Hospitality Group, the hospitality arm of one of a major Hong Kong property development company. Langham has hotels in Asia, Australia, the US and London, where suites at The Langham in Portland Place apparently cost as much as £24,000 (USD 30,000) per night.

As well as being able to earn 500 Avios per night on Langham hotel stays, BA gold members could automatically be enrolled in the hotel’s loyalty scheme, 1865 (the year the London property opened), at ‘Voyager’ level.

Benefits of Langham’s Voyager status, which would usually require five stays or 15 nights in a calendar year to achieve, include 6pm check out, free internet, a room upgrade (subject to availability), free fruit on arrival and an additional welcome amenity (such as a bottle of wine).

That partnership has now come to an end, as confirmed on the British Airways website.

Similarly, Executive Club members were previously able to earn 800 Avios per night at Mandarin Oriental properties, though this group has also been removed from BA’s list of hotel partners. In the past, BA silver and gold members were eligible to receive a free upgrade to the next room category.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I had a feeling that my BA gold card might unlock some perks at luxury hotel brands, so I decided to revisit the airline’s list of hotel and accommodation partners.

The programme is nowhere near as generous as I thought, and it seems I won’t be getting any perks as a result of my British Airways status, now that British Airways has ended its partnership with Langham and Mandarin Oriental.

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page.

Source: my blog, Take Off With Guru
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 4:32 am

Well thats a shame. Was planning on staying at a Langham to gain and take advantage of premier membership (as a one off treat/experience), but trip delayed due to COVID. Would have booked prior to April 2020 as well.
I will look at cheaper options now...
They are really nibbling at the edges. What similar perk will replace these I wonder?
Old Jun 5, 20, 4:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Free breakfast at Holiday Inn Express is more in line with BA's current market positioning.
Old Jun 5, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
The benefits with Mandarin Oriental have always been inconsistent - despite being BA Gold I was never able to secure a room upgrade (and we always stay in Mandarin’s around the world) and presenting my card was quite often met with confusion at the front desk so I’m not surprised it’s gone - the MO teams didn’t seem to be particularly aware of the partnership for the last few years.
DoctorCopper and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
Free breakfast at Holiday Inn Express is more in line with BA's current market positioning.
Pre-packed "breakfast snack" at a price is more in line etc. etc....
Greenpen and ENTP like this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 8:58 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Free internet at Langham properties. I thought we were living in 2020 when internet should always come included without the need for status customers only?
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Hope the hilton diamond for GGL will survive. Having said that - at current tp levels my GGL is probably going first... Three months without earning and no end in sight...
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
Free internet at Langham properties. I thought we were living in 2020 when internet should always come included without the need for status customers only?
The 1865 bits about WiFi are marketing spiel and mean nothing as WiFi comes as standard at Langham properties.
Old Jun 5, 20, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
I thought we were living in 2020 when internet should always come included without the need for status customers only?
Many hoteliers still live in a mindset of the 1970s and 1980s, when they earned handsome ancillary income from large mark-ups on voice telephone services. Their continuing sense of self-entitlement means they feel they can charge large amounts for internet access now that the voice telephony traffic goes to your personal mobile device.

There has yet to be a global correction on this point, though the attitude is clearly flaking as more innovative hoteliers (especially in the budget and "affordable luxury" categories) treat wifi as guests expect: included with the room, like running water and towels.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Many hoteliers still live in a mindset of the 1970s and 1980s, when they earned handsome ancillary income from large mark-ups on voice telephone services. Their continuing sense of self-entitlement means they feel they can charge large amounts for internet access now that the voice telephony traffic goes to your personal mobile device.
I remember once spending well over £100 on a phone call at InterCon Le Grand - this was probably around 2005 - ringing my OH (now Mrs) back in London on the hotel phone!
Old Jun 6, 20, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Many hoteliers still live in a mindset of the 1970s and 1980s, when they earned handsome ancillary income from large mark-ups on voice telephone services.
I was quite shocked on check out at a hotel in the USA last year to find a $5 charge for a telephone call from my room listed on the bill.

I queried this with the lady on reception who attacked her computer and responded, ‘yes sir, one call made at 1815hrs’.

That was the time I rang housekeeping to report that there were no towels in my room.

The receptionist eventually let me off after a bit of a stand-off but thought it a little off, to charge people for ringing internal hotel phone numbers to complain about something the room was deficient of.

If I were to ever stay there again (God forbid), I would use my free USA ‘roam further’ minutes on my ‘personal device’ to call the hotel to report any deficiencies.
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:04 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
In other words yet another reason to seek out independent/boutique properties.
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:36 am

This is my first time hearing of someone being charged for an internal phone call to housekeeping! Which hotel was this?
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642 View Post
The benefits with Mandarin Oriental have always been inconsistent - despite being BA Gold I was never able to secure a room upgrade (and we always stay in Mandarin’s around the world) and presenting my card was quite often met with confusion at the front desk so I’m not surprised it’s gone - the MO teams didn’t seem to be particularly aware of the partnership for the last few years.
The only two Mandarin Orientals that I’ve stayed with, where I had presented my BA card and asked for its associated benefits, are HKG and KUL. It was quite funny that the receptionist in both locations would stare blankly at my card, then confer (in Cantonese and Malay, respectively, both languages which I can somewhat comprehend) to the tune of “what on earth is that?”
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
I remember once spending well over £100 on a phone call at InterCon Le Grand - this was probably around 2005 - ringing my OH (now Mrs) back in London on the hotel phone!
I think probably the late 90's I was in a motel style property on I-Drive in Orlando, a Red Roof Inn I think. It was $60/night type place. There was a significant problem at work and I spent much of the day using the hotel phone as a dial-up modem, whilst speaking to them on my mobile. When I checked out the receptionist said something along the line of OK you prepaid it's just incidentals, and then stood shocked as the printer churned out page after page of telephone charges, totalling around $1,000 from memory. I could see her preparing herself for an angry customer when I just said that's fine, I had to call the office.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: