Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer between LHR and LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
From what I read on UK’s inane proposals, transfer between the 2 airports required 14 days quarantine for overseas arrivals. Outbound OK, the return less so ... but it may all have changed by then.

And what’s the official MCT between LHR and LGW these days? 3h or 3h30m? Having had some rather tense connections, we don’t schedule under 4h any more!
With current traffic levels and in my car it could be done in around 14 minutes :-)
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
3 hours is pushing it somewhat with National Express. Some not entirely unrealistic timings: Half an hour waiting for bags, half an hour waiting for the next bus, and an hour on the bus leaves you with only an hour at LGW. Check in closure is T-45mins. A 15min traffic jam and they're stuffed.

With this I would book a taxi, but it's still pretty dicey.

Don't book separate tickets as there is no protection. Although even with a single ticket (if this is above MCT??) there's a high chance they will miss the flight and wait 24 hours for the next one.

A brief Google Flights search finds both FR and EI operate DUB-FAO directly... I would almost certainly choose them rather than chance this connection.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, to travel in a perfect world where there are no delays or disruptions! Here's an extract from Part 3 of a 2018 Trip Report ... which just happens too involve DUB-LHR/LGW-and onward. “Creative Routing”, JER-PHX, with pitfalls!
IMO it's a perfect example of how a 3h25m planned connection can be whittled away to almost nothing by a combination of simple, everyday, occurrences.

DUB-LHR, BA835, 1255-1425 (1h 30m), A310, CE seats 1D/F

Boarding had all the indications of a shambles, as the GA’s walked around encouraging pax to put bags in the hold - it was clearly a full flight again. After much milling around, “families with small children” were called: the definition of “small” is clearly flexible and unenforced! Anyway, at 1255 (our intended departure time) the doors were opened to Group 1 boarding … at which stage we then all stood on the airbridge going nowhere. Eventually allowed to proceed, we took our seats and waited … and waited.

At 1315 the Captain then came on the PA and apologised for the delay. (1) Late arrival of inbound aircraft. (2) A wheelchair pax on the inbound with a very delayed unloading process - indeed, we watched it happening from the airbridge. We eventually pushed back at 1320 (25 minutes late) and joined a long queue of aircraft trying to depart on rw 10 … the captain said there were at least 4 ahead of us, and of course aircraft were also landing on 10. Finally airborne at 1355 (that’s 1 hour late), where I saw another 9 aircraft queueing for takeoff! Fortunately the transit was quite quick, and we made up a bit of time; despite a short hold approaching LHR, we landed at 1447 and were at the gate at 1453 (about 30 minutes late).

However, the timing for the NEx coach to LGW, and the subsequent flight to JER, was getting rather critical. All the time-shifts outlined at the start of this narrative had destroyed our planned stress-free connections, and the need to shift the DUB-LHR (#8 in the list) had eaten much of our MCT for LHR-LGW. Time to demonstrate how quickly OAPs can move!! Head for Reclaim at high speed, inevitably Carousel 11 at the far end! By now there was no chance of catching the 1515 coach (#201) but the 1530 (#200) was still just achievable if the bags would kindly emerge! The next one, at 1540, would probably mean we would be too late for bag-drop at LGW! Phew, there they come at last! Dump on baggage trolley, move briskly through the throng muttering curses under my breath, out into Arrivals and across the plaza to the coach stops. “Where’s the next coach for LGW, please?” .. “Should be down there at stop 11 soon, mate”. And we and the coach arrive at the same moment!! Made it, with less than 5 minutes to spare!!

Off we go, in air conditioned comfort. Oh, good, plenty of congestion on the M25 all the way past the M3 and A3 junctions. But mercifully we reach LGW within the hour … only to call first at LGW(N) Terminal. More delay on the road between the Terminals due to roadworks!! Eventually, at 1640, we’re at the bus stop at LGW(S) … grab cases from the cargo compartment and start moving fast again. Up in the lift, along the walkway to Departures, left to the far end for the BA desks and, happily, one is free! “Bags to Jersey, please”. Access to the quiet “First”desks for BAEC Gold pax is a major benefit at times like this! Scamper upstairs to security, where Premium Gatwick is as friendly and efficient as ever (thank Heavens!). OH dives into Duty Free for some cigarettes, while I look for the Gate. Ah, Gate 4, another long-ish brisk walk … where we arrive at 1710. Boarding commences almost immediately! That was severely tight, and not a lot of fun.

LGW-JER, BA2776, 1750-1850 (1h), A319, CE seats 1A/B

With deep sighs of relief, having made our homebound sector, nothing else mattered. I know food was offered, but it was declined. A stiff Vodka and Tomic for me, and a Champagne for her, will suffice. And so we hopped across the Channel again, landed, recovered the bags, grabbed a taxi and were at home in sunny Jersey at 1920. The cases were left in the hall to be attended to in the morning, as we opened assorted windows and went straight to bed … where we both slept solidly for at least 10 hours
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also OP, why aren't you flying on an EI codeshare for the DUB-LON leg to Gatwick.
Aer Lingus has Dublin to Gatwick direct flights and they are codesharing this route with British Airways.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
The issue is that they are flying Club class using my Avios, so they have limited route options on ba.com
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nollag
The issue is that they are flying Club class using my Avios, so they have limited route options on ba.com
Although very generous of you, I would struggle to be grateful for a 7+ hour journey including the LHR-LGW shuffle - I think I’d happily suck up Y for 2.5 hours direct
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you're on a single ticket so covered against a flight delay on the first leg, 3 hours is plenty. I second the suggestion of using a taxi service, saves a lot of hassle and messing about, won't be massively more expensive. It's about 50 minutes in a taxi outside rush hour (if you're doing this 6-10am or 3-7pm all bets are off). A good taxi firm will know a few short cuts and will advise on practicality given time of day. I've been using a firm called Mid Sussex Cars Ltd for years, very satisfied customer indeed with no connection other than never having been let down, they're easy to find on Google and obviously other firms exist.

Train is reliable for timing, Heathrow Express, tube, and Gatwick express, but awkward for luggage. Anyway come next year BA may not be flying out of Gatwick anyway so might be an easy connection to LHR. I wouldn't go near a three hour connection on a separate ticket, far easier to fly down earlier or the day before and stay over somewhere.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:36 pm

I did a LHR -Gatwick transfer and reverse in February

I went from LHR- Gatwick by tube and then train- it was about 7pm- only hand luggage and the journey was fine- charged to my oyster so not sure of the cost

I did the reverse Gatwick-LHR at 7am by National Express coach. It was a dream. Stepped onto a coach bound for Bristol ( or similar). Under an hour to LHR- 4 people on the coach. Dropped right outside T5- highly recommended

I seem to recall that you could pay National Express a little more for a ticket with flexibility- so good for delays.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"I seem to recall that you could pay National Express a little more for a ticket with flexibility- so good for delays."

Yes, the Flex ticket is, IMO, worth the modest extra cost. Just hop on any suitable bus, whether you're early or late.

Our connections very between NEx and Taxi depending on schedules. If overnighting at an LHR hotel, the firm we use (YoYo Cars
) drops us at the hotel.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
A minicab (there are loads to choose from that specialize in this), or Uber X are the favoured option for us. Its about GBP55-65 so as long as more than 2 you are in the money too.
The bus can take ages if you are not using T5 (that is the first stop), if you have to go to the central bus station and walk it takes significantly longer.
Also taxis can be more creative when the motorway gets jammed and you do need to go cross country (happens about 5% of the time I would guess). In all the travel between the two - I have only missed 1 flight (ie taken more than 3 hours) and on that occasion the M25 was closed in the middle of the day on a Friday...

I have occasionally risked it and not booked a through ticket eg on BA then CX but is a bit more squeaky bum time.
Frankly the biggest advantage on the linked ticket is getting moved to an earlier flight when it only takes an hour at 5am!
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.