Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - Looking forward to welcoming us back!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Lynyrd
Having to wear a mask for 4 hours will be the most irritating thing.
Make your choice. Want to travel? If so do it, if not don’t.

I definitely will. The delights of travel await once again.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 3, 2020 at 3:54 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
All sounds hideous quite frankly. Until flying is at least tolerable and preferably comfortable, I'm staying at home.
Well I’m staying at home too. Although ..... that is not because of any discomforts, low-quality food rations, or even newly-announced quarantine restrictions. It’s more because - as a socially-responsible UK citizen - I personally choose to observe Government policy under which overseas travel remains prohibited (even if not strictly illegal), other than for ‘essential purposes’ (some folk will have a totally different perspective on that policy, I’m sure).

Setting aside the rights or wrongs of individual travel decisions, we should at least recognise BA’s understandable enthusiasm to get things moving again, and it goes without saying that none of us who contribute to a Forum devoted to air travel wants to be stuck with the current miserable scenario for any longer than absolutely necessary.

It already seems an age ago that we received the infamous email from Snr. Cruz, in which he assured us that the return to the skies - whenever it comes - “will be epic”. Well ..... is that special day now drawing near ? And if so, would it not be a good thing to mark just how “epic’ it is, by welcoming everybody onboard with the offer of a nice glass of chilled champagne ?? Oh .... hold on ..... maybe not.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
The crisp flavours may be epic! We are yet to find out.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I was told by someone senior in BA that he doesn't expect free alcohol to come back for 'some time' if at all as it not only saves hundreds of thousands of pounds, but it also keeps flyers sober.
Is there anywhere after security that you can buy alcohol? (for those that might not be able to last the flight without a bottle of LPGS).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK guys, it's a tough crowd in tonight, and the usual echo chambering is going on. No-one is forced to fly and at least you know what you are getting, and there is a lot of positivity in BA's information, for those who are not permanently cynical. Yes, it's a bit of an imposition, but bear in mind there is at least a few FTers who have not left their home at all in 3 months. Smile and be grateful.

Originally Posted by testycal
BA needs to clarify onboard service as front door to front door my journey will be 30 hours so I need to pack a few lunches as I am uncertain of food availability in airports meals and take on board snacks. Passengers without much food on 9.5 hour flights may become ornery...or perhaps BA will pass around the tuck box and we all get a sugar high.
On longhaul you absolutely will not starve. There are plenty of snacks on board, they aren't very healthy on the whole, biscuits, chocolate and crisps dominate, but so long as you are not too fussy you won't go hungry. It probably is worth having one or two fresh food items, however. On shorthaul they only load biscuits and crisps, but there are plenty loaded.

Originally Posted by Dan72
I suspect for those that have to fly at the moment, the choice of carrier will be determined by who is actually flying and what is the least complex route. I doubt few travelling at the moment will be choosing to route through DOH, or wherever, just because they offer better catering or lounge access.
Absolutely. By all means go indirectly (AMS frankly is a better choice in terms of a range of destinations) but the notion that there is a wide range of destinations on a variety of airlines at a sensible price is frankly an illusion, at least as things stand.

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I'd missed the one about no priority boarding, though frankly IME it was always more honoured in the breach...
I am biased, but honestly it is so much faster and gets bags much better distributed. If those at the back board first, their bags end up there.

Originally Posted by MaukC504
There are two other fast track security lanes, are those also closed? It certainly suggests that.
No Fast Track in either LHR or (hypothetically in terms of BA) LGW at the moment. The only UK airport that is offering it is GLA. But frankly everyone is clearing security pretty quickly, it's not an issue.

Originally Posted by 13901
From what I read it seems that it'll be a case of BYOM - Bring Your Own Mask. It wouldn't have gone amiss for BA to provide masks/Purell as a washbag.
HAL are offering masks, and BA staff will give you a mask at check-in if you ask. You are not being made to wear them.

Originally Posted by Agent69
Is there anywhere after security that you can buy alcohol? (for those that might not be able to last the flight without a bottle of LPGS).
No, not at LHR (and more to my concern, no tea or coffee either, unless you want them cold). But as I say, I'm sure you can all manage a few more hours of being clear headed, that aspect doesn't seem to cause problems on the flights I have taken. But I guess you can bring 100ml containers as part of your 1 litre liquid bag. The onboard announcement highlights that people can consume their own food and presumably drink on board.
testycal likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Masks are required on Transport For London as another example, therefore if using this to reach LHR or return from LHR, then your journey from the very beginning or end, means wearing a mask.

When using our services please follow instructions from our staff, wear a face covering and respect the space of fellow passengers to help maintain a 2 metre distance.” TFL
Masks are not compulsory on TfL services and take up is relatively low in my experience - maybe a third of people wearing them if that?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Masks are not compulsory on TfL services and take up is relatively low in my experience - maybe a third of people wearing them if that?
If that - I took 4 tubes on Monday and would say it was c. 20%
Nobody was ever sat within 2m so not wearing a mask seemed proportionate. I carried one but did not wear it because of this
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On longhaul you absolutely will not starve. There are plenty of snacks on board, they aren't very healthy on the whole, biscuits, chocolate and crisps dominate, but so long as you are not too fussy you won't go hungry. It probably is worth having one or two fresh food items, however. On shorthaul they only load biscuits and crisps, but there are plenty loaded
this is where there is some confusion so some further explanation is important. Although the FAQ page mentions “meals” can we realistically assume based on these comments that meals = snacks / current snack bag offering?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Masks are required on Transport For London as another example, therefore if using this to reach LHR or return from LHR, then your journey from the very beginning or end, means wearing a mask.

When using our services please follow instructions from our staff, wear a face covering and respect the space of fellow passengers to help maintain a 2 metre distance.” TFL
They are required on TfL but very few people are actually using them.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
this is where there is some confusion so some further explanation is important. Although the FAQ page mentions “meals” can we realistically assume based on these comments that meals = snacks / current snack bag offering?
On shorter longhaul such as JFK and BOS you would get a sandwich and snacks and plenty of them. On the longer services such as LAX you will also get that pizza slice box that was formerly offered in WTP and WT, photos below. I'm told that Do&Co (who are also providing the limited menu) are coming up with a new meal service which will require minimal crew involvement, but I don't know timings or specifics. I was vaguely under the impression it was for July, but I don't know why that's in my mind.

TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Executive Club
OK guys, it's a tough crowd in tonight, and the usual echo chambering is going on. No-one is forced to fly and at least you know what you are getting, and there is a lot of positivity in BA's information, for those who are not permanently cynical. Yes, it's a bit of an imposition, but bear in mind there is at least a few FTers who have not left their home at all in 3 months. Smile and be grateful..
I really respect your posts CWS normally but I have to take issue with this statement. I am "forced" to fly because I own a hotel which is reopening, I have a 9 year old girl I take care of who I need to get into a new school and an insurance claim which needs me in the country to sort out. I work hard for my money, and I have graced BA with my business instead of a competitor airline because I like BA's business class product. And to me there is absolutely no "Covid" reason not to provide me with some alcohol and something decent to eat in J. My journey takes 19 hours door to door. Other airlines are providing proper meals and alcohol in J, and I think it is completely indefensible for BA not to provide these. Especially since they just expect us to put up with this, no part of the fare is being refunded. In my case, we're talking nearly £2,000 for a flight where I will get a bag of crisps and a bar of chocolate and a bottle of water. In just the same way as BA has seized the Covid opportunity to sort out wage disparity, it's also cashing in by offering the lowest possible food and drink and pretending this is something to do with the virus.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:49 pm

How long do you think this will be the norm? (crystal ball gazing I suppose)

I have a few 1st/club flights booked late July, August, Sept and at the moment if the countries let me in I think I will be going. Quarantine on return isn't an issue luckily.
But after the email today and reading this thread I am considering downgrading to WTP or swapping airlines/routes. The only advantage of all of my LBA connections being cancelled is that I have the opportunity to shop around or change bookings.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
On shorter longhaul such as JFK and BOS you would get a sandwich and snacks and plenty of them. On the longer services such as LAX you will also get that pizza slice box that was formerly offered in WTP and WT, photos below. I'm told that Do&Co (who are also providing the limited menu) are coming up with a new meal service which will require minimal crew involvement, but I don't know timings or specifics. I was vaguely under the impression it was for July, but I don't know why that's in my mind.

Whilst QR is still managing a full service complete with alcohol etc. This is cost saving from BA, nothing more, nothing less.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaB
IOther airlines are providing proper meals and alcohol in J, and I think it is completely indefensible for BA not to provide these. Especially since they just expect us to put up with this, no part of the fare is being refunded. In my case, we're talking nearly £2,000 for a flight where I will get a bag of crisps and a bar of chocolate and a bottle of water. In just the same way as BA has seized the Covid opportunity to sort out wage disparity, it's also cashing in by offering the lowest possible food and drink and pretending this is something to do with the virus.
I certainly would suggest you use another airline if you are that annoyed/concerned about it, BA can't afford to lose many passengers voting with their feet/wallet. I have challenged BA management about the catering, which I've reported previously, and they are adamant that it is to do with crew / passenger safety. Most but not all crew go along with this line too, given the previous CW meals require a lot of handling (40 sets of ihandling on average). Some crew would prefer zero catering. I doubt that this will be believed any more than the last time I posted this, but at least it has come from having seen it for myself. BA are certainly aware that they won't keep CW passengers if other airlines offer a better option, hence the urgent search for alternative low handling meal options. In the mean time it's probably better to pay WTP fares rather than CW, since the CW package is certainly taken a hit. But the cost-cutting issue is transparently incorrect: they have lost millions of pounds of bookings, saving £3 on a meal - given how few that being consumed - is a drop in the ocean, it isn't realistically the airline's focus.
Crampedin13A and Agent69 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
Note also that BA states that if you have food alergies etc, these will not be catered for.

This means, for example, that a member of my family that has a gluten alergy must bring all food supplies irrespective of cabin -.
TangoOneSeven likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.