Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - Looking forward to welcoming us back!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Masks not compulsory, and weird (to me) advice to change them every 4 hours if worn. At the moment, I'll be flying any airline that makes mask wearing compulsory. This is only temporary though; I suspect I'll stop caring about that in a few months.

Plus, having remembered that weird infomercial showing someone nit-picking (hopefully not literally) a first-class seating area, and comparing it with reality on board and photos here, I don't believe BA's pictures or text regarding their new cleaning procedures.

Mainly, though, as I dropped to Bronze, I'll simply be flying the cheapest airline which at the moment appears to be Easyjet (short-haul) and Qatar or Cathay (long-haul).

And finally, despite all of the above, I'm currently not planning to fly anywhere for the next few weeks so what I wrote has no impact on anyone
NBA makes it clear that masks must be worn at all time at the airport and during the flight:
"We ask all customers to wear a face mask at all times in the airport and onboard. As a guide, a face mask could last up to 4 hours, so please make sure that you bring enough for the duration of your trip. We'll ask you to remove it for any passport checks but you'll be advised to do so by our colleagues. Please be aware that some airports now mandate that you wear face masks so make sure you check your destination airport and country guidelines before you travel, so you can arrive prepared."
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:42 am

It is a shame to see the cynics out in force.

I, for one, cannot wait to resume flying (and earning!), and am doing so w/c 15th June in full compliance with the respective regulations - and it will be a full ramp up to typical number of weekly sectors for me. Despite not being on BA initially, I look forward to flying other carriers and things like food and beverages are of the lowest concern. I look forward to my first BA sector which is planned for early July (quarantine restrictions permitting).
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
For several weeks yet, I would say.

But in fairness, BA are certainly not the only airline to be cutting back right now - whether in terms of catering, or other passenger ‘comforts‘ generally.

Qatar have - according to reliable sources - cut their range of inflight wine choices by 50%, and even removed the warm dessert option from the standard a la carte menu. They have just one lounge operating at DOH. And word is that even big-spenders Emirates will suspend the onboard shower facilities when their 380’s come back into service.
There is a huge difference between only providing tea, coffee and water in F or J and what you find on other airlines.

QR might have reduced its huge wine list of 12 different wines (and champagne) in J, but even 50% allows a big choice and can be justified by the very light loads. Removing the hot dessert option is sad, but rather minor compared to BA dismal snack food offering.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 3, 2020 at 7:54 am
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ brunos - totally fair comment, I guess

Difficult to argue with what you say.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BA executive club
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Our First Wing won’t be open initially, but we have opened dedicated desks for premium customers which are signposted at Terminal 5.
At this time, Fast Track is unavailable.
At the moment, all our lounges are closed.

Can't wait 😱
Why, on earth, would fast track be unavailable? What good reason is there for that?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I'd missed the one about no priority boarding, though frankly IME it was always more honoured in the breach...
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MaukC504
Why, on earth, would fast track be unavailable? What good reason is there for that?
Because it leads, at LHR at least, directly into the First Lounge which is currently closed.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Can you still use the lounges (including the Arrivals lounge) at Heathrow?
At the moment, all our lounges are closed. Any updates will be published on this page.

Is there still priority boarding?
We are trialling a new boarding process. Priority boarding will only be available for families and customers who may need additional time to board.

What drinks will be available on board?
We'll still provide tea, coffee and water, please ask a member of our cabin crew on board.

I think I'll keep waiting. Flying on this magic school bus with a mask stuck to my face will dirty my happy memories of flying.

Me too. There's going to be absolutely no pleasure in flying. I'm only going to travel if I absolutely need to until the situation improves.
BearX220 and allturnleft like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA executive club
There are two other fast track security lanes, are those also closed? It certainly suggests that.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by subject2load
For several weeks yet, I would say.

But in fairness, BA are certainly not the only airline to be cutting back right now - whether in terms of catering, or other passenger ‘comforts‘ generally.

Qatar have - according to reliable sources - cut their range of inflight wine choices by 50%, and even removed the warm dessert option from the standard a la carte menu. They have just one lounge operating at DOH. And word is that even big-spenders Emirates will suspend the onboard shower facilities when their 380’s come back into service.
Iron fist in a velvet glove there!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Masks not compulsory, and weird (to me) advice to change them every 4 hours if worn. At the moment, I'll be flying any airline that makes mask wearing compulsory. This is only temporary though; I suspect I'll stop caring about that in a few months.
The advice to change them is well-founded, no mask can be worn indefinitely and the longer you have it on the more likely you are to touch it and spread whatever is trapped on it. After a certain point as well the mask becomes an increased transmission risk because the filtration (or lack of) it provides becomes full and allows particles to pass through. It's also worth noting that once a mask is removed is should be binned (or put in a bag to be washed if it's a washable one).

I have a feeling as well that them not being compulsory is partly due to the government guidelines, especially that children under 2 should in fact not wear one as it just presents a heightened risk of transmission of any virus/ bacteria. There are also relatively few studies on the immediate side effects that are related to wearing a mask for an extended period of time, including reduced oxygen inhalation, reduced vision (yes if you're wearing most masks, especially disposable ones properly they do stray into your field of vision), and reduction in the ability to freely move around (due to reduced oxygen inhalation); all of these I can attest to as I have been wearing them for work since the middle of March and it is surprising how much they impact on your ability to function normally!
adrianlondon likes this.

Last edited by stampcollector; Jun 3, 2020 at 8:14 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:20 am

From what I read it seems that it'll be a case of BYOM - Bring Your Own Mask. It wouldn't have gone amiss for BA to provide masks/Purell as a washbag.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by MaukC504
There are two other fast track security lanes, are those also closed? It certainly suggests that.
That would be my reading, since it mentions First wing and fast track in two separate posts. The fact that it says check local airport website makes it seem fasttrack is closed for all airports.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 13901
From what I read it seems that it'll be a case of BYOM - Bring Your Own Mask. It wouldn't have gone amiss for BA to provide masks/Purell as a washbag.
That will not help much, maks are 'required' to be worn at all times withn many airports - and that now includes LHR and MAN.

From heathrow.com:

"Following on from the Government's updated guidance for dealing with COVID-19, we now require all passengers aged 6 and older to wear face coverings whilst within the terminal buildings at Heathrow. These will be offered free of charge to all passengers prior to check-in (departing passengers) and before Immigration (arriving passengers)."
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Once it’s time for food and drink, then watching those who are required to wear a mask “at all times” onboard will be most entertaining.
Especially if anyone rocks up with one of these masks:

I note that at pretty much every mouthful, they manage to brush their food against the mouth-opening and the whole thing looks like a ridiculous idea (where does the "remote control" dangle while the user isn't eating, for one!
jjLDNY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.