BA/Kulula/Comair Cancellation Question

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 2:40 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
BA/Kulula/Comair Cancellation Question

Hello,
I have a multi-city booking booked through Kulula for 3 domestic flights within South Africa which I need to cancel. While all of these flights are booked through Kulula, Comair the parent company also flies for BA and those flights are part of my itinerary. I have been unable to reach Kulula for support on a refund and the online site errors out. These flights are for this summer, and have been cancelled but I cannot get my money back. Should I charge back?
Old May 28, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Kulula has entered into business rescue proceedings. More info under the reservations tab here:
https://www.comair.co.za/business-rescue
Old May 29, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
They can't issue refunds while in business rescue so you would need to speak with your insurer or credit card company.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
Is your ticket Kulula or BA. I have had 4 BA tickets refunded in cash.....in fact my understanding is that they cannot issue a voucher for SA BA flights!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: Mr
I also have a multi-city booking for Comair with a July 2020 departure, CPT-VFA-JNB. I booked them through the British Airways website last February. It's supposed to be fully refundable. Now, of course I would like to cancel them. I already contacted Comair via e-mail last April 3, and after giving the agent a copy of my international flights from Asia to Africa (booked separately with the Comair flights), she told me that she already processed my refund and that it would take 6 to 8 weeks for the refund to appear in the credit card. When I checked my account in British Airways directly after, the booking was already gone (which should be a good sign). This was all before Comair entered business rescue. Now, it's almost 12 weeks and the refund has not reflected in the card. What's my best next course of action? Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chspw1
Is your ticket Kulula or BA. I have had 4 BA tickets refunded in cash.....in fact my understanding is that they cannot issue a voucher for SA BA flights!
I have a FTV for a JNB - MRU return booking that was still showing as operating when my outbound from LHR to JNB was cancelled. They were separate PNR's but they issued two vouchers. It was booked at BA.Com
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
We had 5 Comair flights booked via BA for this summer around South Africa. BA ticket and flight numbers. All cancelled, got the usual BA emails, rang them and got a refund which arrived in a few days. No hassle at all.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Got Comair flights booked through BA in December - received the following mail today:

We understand that you may have questions about your upcoming travel at the moment, and we wanted to reassure you that we’re working around the clock to help our customers get to where they need to be.

You’re currently due to travel to Johannesburg on 28 December 2021, however due to the changing situation, we wanted to let you know that should your plans change, we have a number of flexible rebooking options available for you.

Is this likely an attempt to get us to accept vouchers before a cancellation is actually announced?

I know Comair had been trying to start flying again by December, but the reports I am reading are starting to say "not likely to fly again until next year".
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Is this likely an attempt to get us to accept vouchers before a cancellation is actually announced?
Is this email any different from the ones being sent out for mainline flights? What are the "flexible rebooking options"? Are they any different from the usual options that would be available on mainline for your booking and travel dates?

Most importantly, are you still planning to travel on that route then? If not, then I would have thought that doing nothing for the moment would be the best strategy, especially if you're seeing noises that Comair's restart is less likely to happen during 2020. As you have a BA ticket, your protections are clear.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this email any different from the ones being sent out for mainline flights? What are the "flexible rebooking options"? Are they any different from the usual options that would be available on mainline for your booking and travel dates?

Most importantly, are you still planning to travel on that route then? If not, then I would have thought that doing nothing for the moment would be the best strategy, especially if you're seeing noises that Comair's restart is less likely to happen during 2020. As you have a BA ticket, your protections are clear.
re if it is the same as mainline flights I have no idea as I have only received this with regards the Comair flights. “Flexibility” seems to be the usual can change dates, can get voucher etc. Yes, still need to travel that route, and as it is Christmas prices are rising. The question was more if anyone had received anything similar before a flight was then cancelled? Will in all likelihood book an alternative anyhow as I am feeling less and less confident that Comair will get flying again soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.