Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL First Awards Pulled?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 6:18 am
Original Poster

JAL First Awards Pulled?

Anyone notice that JAL first awards haven't been showing on BA's website lately? Lately, search results have come up saying "First Cabin not operated on this flight". This is despite selling the same ticket for cash on their own site! I've checked JAL's website and they're still offering the award in F, as well as selling it for cash. This doesn't seem to be a LHR specific issue. The same problem comes up for JFK, LAX, SFO, CDG, etc.

I reached out on Twitter and received the standard, "It isn't showing because the first cabin is not operated on this route." response. That's not the case, so anyone know what's going on here?

JAL F for sale on BA.com

JAL F cabin "not operated" for award redemptions
Old May 28, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Others may be able to offer more specific / comprehensive data, but I myself have found F class award space (via ba.com) to be something of a rarity for quite some time ...... ie. not just in recent weeks during Covid.
EuropeanPete and DelTroon like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Big Meech
Anyone notice that JAL first awards haven't been showing on BA's website lately? Lately, search results have come up saying "First Cabin not operated on this flight". This is despite selling the same ticket for cash on their own site! I've checked JAL's website and they're still offering the award in F, as well as selling it for cash. This doesn't seem to be a LHR specific issue. The same problem comes up for JFK, LAX, SFO, CDG, etc.

I reached out on Twitter and received the standard, "It isn't showing because the first cabin is not operated on this route." response. That's not the case, so anyone know what's going on here?

JAL F for sale on BA.com

JAL F cabin "not operated" for award redemptions
yes someone else raised this a few weeks ago. It seems there are JAL F reward seats available but ba.com isn’t showing them. I think the person who reported it used the QF site to check for availability and then called BA to book.

Last edited by KARFA; May 28, 2020 at 6:56 am
Old May 28, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Others may be able to offer more specific / comprehensive data, but I myself have found F class award space (via ba.com) to be something of a rarity for quite some time ...... ie. not just in recent weeks during Covid.
I've still been able to find first seats on BA and Cathay. It just seems to be JAL that's having issues.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I've still been able to find first seats on BA and Cathay. It just seems to be JAL that's having issues.
Apologies ....just realised there was a (vital !) bit of info accidentally omitted from my post : I meant to say F award space with JAL
Old May 28, 2020, 7:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
Apologies ....just realised there was a (vital !) bit of info accidentally omitted from my post : I meant to say F award space with JAL
there is a technical fault with ba displaying them. There is plenty of JL F reward space if you check elsewhere or call ba
Old May 28, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
for JL41, it doesnt have first only business. That would explain that one
Old May 28, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by aidy
for JL41, it doesnt have first only business. That would explain that one
Flights like JL 5 operated by 77W that for sure DO have F are showing either "unavailable" or "first cabin not operated" on the BA website though. I couldn't find any JL F seats on the BA website, then I searched on AA.com and managed to book a JL F award ticket with AA miles, all while BA continued to say the seat didn't exist. Ticket has been confirmed and issued.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Flights like JL 5 operated by 77W that for sure DO have F are showing either "unavailable" or "first cabin not operated" on the BA website though. I couldn't find any JL F seats on the BA website, then I searched on AA.com and managed to book a JL F award ticket with AA miles, all while BA continued to say the seat didn't exist. Ticket has been confirmed and issued.
Thanks for the DP. Did your AA award actually ticket? I've noticed they seem to be showing a ton of phantom award availability on JL. Ex: showing 2+ seats on days where they just don't exist, even with Mileage Bank.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:27 am
Suspended

Thanks for the DP. Did your AA award actually ticket? I've noticed they seem to be showing a ton of phantom award availability on JL. Ex: showing 2+ seats on days where they just don't exist, even with Mileage Bank.
Yup, ticketed.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Free agent
This happens pretty regularly. Inventory from JAL in J and F will disappear on certain flights and routes for days at a time on both BA and AA. After a few days of checking it will usually show back up. I watched JAL3/4 and 5/6 for about 3 months while planning some award travel earlier this year. Calling in is the surest way to check the inventory.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:18 am

I've found JAL F award seats on BAEC but few and far between, on various routes and times of the year.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:24 am

Yup, ticketed.
What date if you dont' mind?

After checking a ton of different dates, AA absolutely has phantom availability all over the place - especially close to end of schedule.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
What date if you dont' mind?

After checking a ton of different dates, AA absolutely has phantom availability all over the place - especially close to end of schedule.
Nov 9 on JL 5
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:02 pm

Nov 9 on JL 5
Thanks for that! I managed to snag an F redemption from AA on JL 9, Nov 7. Never showed up on BA but got ticketed on AA within 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.