LBA suspended

Old May 27, 20, 9:55 am

In an ideal world the UK would've learnt from the errors and successes of other nations when planning HS2, so that it allowed links between LHR and cities like Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham, Germany being a good-ish example (DB ICE passing through DUS airport, or FRA) and Italy not (although both MXP and FCO are in the wrong places for the high speed lines). But alas we've got a project where HS2 passes very close to LHR but doesn't get there. If it did, it wouldn't have been impossible for connections to all those cities to be available via fast train.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 10:12 am

Apparently a change of airport within 300 miles is possible. So Dublin or Amsterdam to avoid Manchester?
I know I have to get there but usually lots of cheapish options from LBA. Apparently my taxes will be lower form Amsterdam and they will reprice.
He also thinks that a 2 for 1 BA voucher will still work from Amsterdam as it is their change (usually need a UK starting point)
Old May 27, 20, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I had been keeping a watch on the passenger numbers on the CAA site over the years and I know the number of flights. I had assumed 5 rows of CE on average for the A319s since domestic CE started in April 2017 - that means 133 seats per flight. Based on that these are my guestimate figures for loads since it started in 2012:

2012 from December - 20,328 -> 27%
2013 - 118,717 -> 44%
2014 - 132,325 -> 54%
2015 - 148,796 -> 60%
2016 - 160,703 -> 60%
2017 - 162,042 -> 64%
2018 - 103,706 -> 76%
2019 - 100,189 -> 76%
2020 to March - 20,328 -> 71%

In terms of where they will go,for those who are connecting many will go to KL who have continued to maintain 3/4 daily flights to LBA over the years. Some who want to stay with BA may go over to MAN or NCL (although capacity has been reduced at both over the last 2/3 years). Train will continue to be an option for point to point - the BA route was never that popular for point to point - and for going to LHR/LGW. There are more options heading east from MAN too on oneworld with QR, CX, and AY. Going west from MAN is not so great going west on AA and I think they only go to PHL now. However, EI have aggressively been pushing as the best choice if going to the US, and they serve LBA and MAN.

Looks like I will be busy for a few days sorting through this!

We were on the same flight in July.
Old May 27, 20, 10:19 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA, LH M&M
Meanwhile LBA are ploughing on with plans to redevelop and expand the airport. Commencing work in late 2020.
Their confidence in the aviation industry is surprising, to say the least.
Old May 27, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
Meanwhile LBA are ploughing on with plans to redevelop and expand the airport. Commencing work in late 2020.
Well if you own an airport there is not an awful lot else you can do with it, it’s sort of a one use item. You therefore have to make it as attractive to your customers as possible. The only other alternative is to close it and look to sell the land for other uses.
Old May 27, 20, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
Whereas ... https://www.itv.com/news/channel/202...o-be-reviewed/

There are however, some Safeguarding (safety clearance) issues to be resolved.
Old May 27, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Originally Posted by Barnaby100 View Post
Honestly?
It can take 4 hours to get from Harrogate to Manchester by Car -certainly wouldn't allow less. The train - no seats so standing for 2+ hours.
Don't get me started on the hell hole that it Manchester airport.

I remember going to watch planes at LBA and MAN as a kid. Disappointed to see this decline in service at LBA and the service drop at MAN. Reminiscing.I used to live in York and rarely used LBA but I would commute to MAN every week dropping the car at T3 with Dave at the CPS parking service within 1 minute. Left home at 0500 in the lounge by 0615/0620, security was a 5 minute affair at most. The big choice was which way to skirt Manchester over the NW or the SE on the new ring road motorway
Executive lounge had showers so I would shower then eat breakfast and wander down for BA to, if I remember, ORK, DUB, LYS, CDG, DUS, AMS, MXP they all left about 0650-0720.

In 2018 we flew with Easyjet from MAN to AMS and even though we paid the 10 Pounds for Rapid security it was a 30 minute ordeal. Priority Pass got us into a lounge which was OK.

Pre Covid I only flew LAX-AMS or SNA-XXX-AMS nowadays and its certainly not perfect but it makes me cry to hear about MAN.

Be safe
Old May 27, 20, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 View Post
Apparently a change of airport within 300 miles is possible. So Dublin or Amsterdam to avoid Manchester?
I know I have to get there but usually lots of cheapish options from LBA. Apparently my taxes will be lower form Amsterdam and they will reprice.
He also thinks that a 2 for 1 BA voucher will still work from Amsterdam as it is their change (usually need a UK starting point)
taxes are not recalculated on a invol reroute

Last edited by Hawk777; May 27, 20 at 12:50 pm
Old May 27, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I detest MAN as a departure point- planning to use NCL wherever possible now
tigertanaka, KARFA and LBA_flyer like this.
Old May 27, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is unwelcome news, LBA close by and when the timing of connecting flights is right, it works very well.

Otherwise I've found it infinitely preferable to take the train down to LHR than put up with the toxic combination of the M62 and MAN.
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Absolutely pants this! I have flown the LBA route many times - it's convenient and easy. Bit of a two fingered salute to West Yorkshire....
Old May 27, 20, 1:47 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Sadly, this has been inevitable for some time and I was just surprised that BA hadn't pulled the plug sooner. I think BA would have come to this decision relatively soon without the COVID-19 situation. Passenger numbers have been declining, as KARFA's data showed. This was partly due to BA cutting the frequency, but of course, this would have been driven by their assessment of the route performance. Even with improved load factors over the last couple of years, these remain below BA's average load factor. I will be sad to see this option disappear.
Old May 27, 20, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Disappointing as even though NCL is quicker for me to get to, sometimes LBA made more sense if the connecting flights worked. Also LBA was always a fruitful supply of POUGs at a good price.

I know LHR-LBA was only around 10 flights a week but discontinuing routes like this surely makes it a tiny bit harder for BA to keep all their slots when the LHR slot restrictions kick in again (presumably for summer 2021)?
Old May 27, 20, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I know LHR-LBA was only around 10 flights a week but discontinuing routes like this surely makes it a tiny bit harder for BA to keep all their slots when the LHR slot restrictions kick in again (presumably for summer 2021)?
Well we’ve now seen permanent cuts on:

Helsinki (7pw)
Beirut (7pw)
Leeds/Bradford (10pw)

As you say, these slots will need to be used when the 80/20 rule is back, so I guess LGW routes will have to move up.
tigertanaka likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 1:02 am

Young rapidex is up in arms. Now living in Sheffield LBA was very convenient for him,and now thanks to being part of the army reserve call up he has the money to travel.

Search this Thread