Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:10 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Providing the BA spend on new plant and machinery - which includes seats - by the deadline they can offset 130% of such costs against their profits. A very good deal for those who can act in a timely manner. If no profits, then the charge can be carried forward and used against profits in a future year.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:32 pm

Not a bad deal at all. I think it means that BA has confidence in the future of the A380, at least in the mid-term.

I'm not sure how good the upper deck as all CS would be. I think it would be pretty good if the cabins are relatively small, but with van der Post leaving some years ago, I think it will be more like the flying dorm part 2. However, I'd much rather do a flying dorm with CS than CW.

rb211.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:33 pm

Anyone know if G-XWBI is due to fly soon? It’s been built and painted but seems to be sitting stored in TLS..
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by TheMan123
Anyone know if G-XWBI is due to fly soon? It’s been built and painted but seems to be sitting stored in TLS..
Aircraft is still sitting engineless in TLS so guessing it won’t be arriving anytime soon

Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
Aircraft is still sitting engineless in TLS so guessing it won’t be arriving anytime soon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185709...5/50976751897/
delivery has been pushed out till May
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I see G-GATU operated LHR-ABZ today (albeit diverting via MAN).

Is this the first time a GAT A320 has operated from LHR?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I see G-GATU operated LHR-ABZ today (albeit diverting via MAN).

Is this the first time a GAT A320 has operated from LHR?
Yes it is the first time that a GAT A320 has operated from LHR
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I think it was mentioned on here that BA were rotating the short haul fleet, possibly for delayed spend on maintenance.

Given how long COVID has impacted Ops, is it likely there will be a lengthy ramp up period to get enough aircraft active for the summer if we do have strong demand similar to last summer?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SHT88T
I think it was mentioned on here that BA were rotating the short haul fleet, possibly for delayed spend on maintenance.

Given how long COVID has impacted Ops, is it likely there will be a lengthy ramp up period to get enough aircraft active for the summer if we do have strong demand similar to last summer?
They aren’t being rotated to delay spend. They are being rotated because flying them avoids them having to be completely mothballed which would mean major costs and time to get them back flying.

This way the entire fleet is available at shortish notice. The only ones properly mothballed are the 321 CEOS in Madrid which may be there for a year.

The 380s in Madrid are being kept flying for similar reasons.
Genius1, 1Aturnleft, gcuk and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Apologies if this has been posted but I can't find it.

BA CityFlyer Moves To All E190 Fleet With E170s Going To Envoy
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC
G-GATU was out again today on a Belfast rotation.

I wonder if G-GAT* frames will become more common at LHR this summer? Previously I assumed they’d never make it up to LHR as they are old, leased, second hand, and have a different configuration but now things have changed.

(The LHR crew will be happy to see the full rear galley on them though. Golds will be less happy about the lack of bulkhead in row 1)
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
G-GATU was out again today on a Belfast rotation.

I wonder if G-GAT* frames will become more common at LHR this summer? Previously I assumed they’d never make it up to LHR as they are old, leased, second hand, and have a different configuration but now things have changed.

(The LHR crew will be happy to see the full rear galley on them though. Golds will be less happy about the lack of bulkhead in row 1)
I doubt we will see them at LHR this summer. I have heard that IAG has negotiated early lease returns for these aircraft, with all planned to be returned over the next 6 months.

G-GATU is planned to fly to LGW for storage tomorrow.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by RB211
Not a bad deal at all. I think it means that BA has confidence in the future of the A380, at least in the mid-term.

I'm not sure how good the upper deck as all CS would be. I think it would be pretty good if the cabins are relatively small, but with van der Post leaving some years ago, I think it will be more like the flying dorm part 2. However, I'd much rather do a flying dorm with CS than CW.

rb211.
Hearing today the A380's won't be coming back until 2023. And the super hi J config rumoured appears to be now a super hi Y config with 550 seats in total.
Plenty of time for this rumour to morph and develop further over the next couple of years I'm sure
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Hearing today the A380's won't be coming back until 2023. And the super hi J config rumoured appears to be now a super hi Y config with 550 seats in total.
Plenty of time for this rumour to morph and develop further over the next couple of years I'm sure
550 seats on which aircraft, the 380?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The A380's already have 303 Y seats - so not sure there are many destinations BA could send a revised layout with that many Y seats which would be a true money maker year round. I also question the 2023 date given they have kept them active for the past year to enable them get back to flying with minimal time and if internal stories are to be believed, they will be reactivating 6 of them this summer for LAX SFO and MIA routes from July onwards.

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.