Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A view from Hatton Cross

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
A view from Hatton Cross

I was passing by Heathrow yesterday and decided to have my first look since lockdown

I never seen the roads so empty, some if the perimeter road had been blocked iff

A plane would land ever 20 mins or so

I must have been transported back to the 1970s

Planes were parked up everywhere

I came across a very surreal image when I discovered there was a large empty COVID testing area with the backdrop of the BA maintenance area with its forlorn jumbos

I think its going to be a long time before LHR returns to normal but it was nice to have a little aviation fix and reminded me of visiting airports as a kid

Old May 25, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I am sure that COVID testing area will be well used then things start to slowly get going.

The new restrictions are surely a pre-cursor to either quarantine or pay for a test and don’t scenario. I can’t see any other way that people will be allowed in and out relatively freely
Old May 25, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Will100
I am sure that COVID testing area will be well used then things start to slowly get going.
The testing area is for the general public to use. It'll be ramping up to full capacity this week.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the pics and update. This is such a sorry sight, those planes should be in the air. I know what you mean about the 20 mins gap,I live under the flight path and miss the days of running on flightradar to see if i was correct.

Last edited by ens100; May 25, 2020 at 2:38 am
Old May 25, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Bit late for testing now. Should have been done end of March.
PeteM01, u01sss3 and orlando flyer like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I was passing by Heathrow yesterday and decided to have my first look since lockdown

I never seen the roads so empty, some if the perimeter road had been blocked iff

A plane would land ever 20 mins or so

I must have been transported back to the 1970s

Planes were parked up everywhere

I came across a very surreal image when I discovered there was a large empty COVID testing area with the backdrop of the BA maintenance area with its forlorn jumbos

I think its going to be a long time before LHR returns to normal but it was nice to have a little aviation fix and reminded me of visiting airports as a kid
I was thinking of going to have a look sometime when I've got some time off work soon. Where do you think the best place to go is to have look? I'm thinking of a weekday trip rather than weekend. Did security hassle you at all and what were parking restrictions like on the roads?
Old May 25, 2020, 4:37 am
Original Poster

I wanted to park at Hatton Cross station car park but its closed
They have blocked off the ring road between Hatton Cross going round the back of the hangers

I didn’t actually stop apart from take photos

Best bet would be to take the tube to Hatton Cross but obviously a non essential
journey but Im sure very quiet in the middle of the day. You can then walk round the perimeter towards runway 09R
Old May 25, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Trent900
Bit late for testing now. Should have been done end of March.
Its keeping this thing to low numbers now we are starting to get it suppressed within the UK.

Otherwise how is aviation meant to restart?

EDIT: typo

Last edited by Will100; May 25, 2020 at 5:10 am
Old May 25, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Testing is so key now as the virus surfaces in little blips
Just closed the hospital in Western Super Mare today as mini surge in cases

I am really excited by the new test you can turn round in an hour
This will be fantastic for airports

To clarify the COVID testing area in the pic is one if the general UK ones that just happens to be located in a Heathrow car park It is not airport related.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I
Best bet would be to take the tube to Hatton Cross but obviously a non essential
journey but Im sure very quiet in the middle of the day. You can then walk round the perimeter towards runway 09R
Just a note on runway rotation - at the moment Heathrow is using just one runway at a time and it rotates on a weekly basis. This week they're taking off and landing on 09L (or 27R if the wind changes) so the Hatton Cross area is the best place to go if you want to see the aircraft land from the east.

There is very limited parking if you're lucky by the two Bedfont Football Clubs but, with many people staying at home at the moment, I'd expect it to be near impoosible to find a space right now.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Schind
The testing area is for the general public to use. It'll be ramping up to full capacity this week.
Is it even needed now, with cases in London becoming practically zilch?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Schind
Reading some countries are requiring a test before you fly. Could this facility be for that? How would it work. You turn up a few hours earlier before check in for a test or have it done one the days before flight? Note Antigua (as an example) is saying you beed a negative test at least 48 hours before flight
https://www.timeout.com/usa/news/st-...in-june-052120
Old May 25, 2020, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Is it even needed now, with cases in London becoming practically zilch?
Until everyone can get a test at their local GP or similar then yes. I'm a key worker (apparently). I live 20 miles outside of London but this will be the nearest centre to me so, if I develop symptoms, this is where I'd choose to go.
There's also the fact that, just because there are hardly any positive cases in London right now, people with symptoms still need a test to confirm they haven't got it and can get on with as normal a life as possible.

Last edited by Schind; May 25, 2020 at 7:07 am
Old May 25, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The number of new cases is a little bumpy.
The best website I have found is Sky's, but I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Hounslow - where LHR is - has been single digit new cases for a few days. Slough - where some staff live is even lower. Bucks - which is more like Rupert territory, is a little higher, but is a big county.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...daily-11956258
Old May 25, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Thanks to allturnleft for the heads up. I went to have a look today and to get few photos.

allturnleft and dddc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.