Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK govt quarantine policy and the impact on BAEC status

Old May 22, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks, the moderators seem to think the post has gone a stray. Please discuss it here. Topics in scope:
1) UK govt quarantine policy
2) The details of the policy, including definitions etc.
3) Policy impact on BAEC status renewal

Post from previous thread:
Itís now official. From 8 June 2020 there will be a 14-day quarantine for arrivals into the UK, with the exception of CTA jurisdictions. Policy to be reviewed every 3 weeks i.e. by the end of June.

No specific exemptions for transit pax (happy to be corrected) and importantly no exemptions for flight crew.

So thatís BA business model gone. How does BA expect people to continue accruing TP, when itís not even clear they can operate any flights (no crew exemptions). There now has to be some sort of blanket 12 month renewal policy. Címon BA, do the right thing.

P.S. Someone provided a useful link in the original thread that got removed by the moderator. Iím sorry I canít attribute it to the right person - I cant remember your handle and the post is no longer there. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules
Old May 22, 20, 4:29 pm

Air crew are indeed exempt, under the same provision as lorry drivers. And CWS of course.
Old May 22, 20, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka View Post
Hey folks, the moderators seem to think the post has gone a stray. Please discuss it here. Topics in scope:

Itís now official. From 8 June 2020 there will be a 14-day quarantine for arrivals into the UK, with the exception of CTA jurisdictions. Policy to be reviewed every 3 weeks i.e. by the end of June.

No specific exemptions for transit pax (happy to be corrected) and importantly no exemptions for flight crew.

So thatís BA business model gone. How does BA expect people to continue accruing TP, when itís not even clear they can operate any flights (no crew exemptions). There now has to be some sort of blanket 12 month renewal policy. Címon BA, do the right thing.

P.S. Someone provided a useful link in the original thread that got removed by the moderator. Iím sorry I canít attribute it to the right person - I cant remember your handle and the post is no longer there. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules
re: transit...

To follow up on this, I believe that certain through-ticket transit passengers are exempt based on the gov.uk list of exemptions as of right now (see below link - though happy to be corrected if Iím incorrectly reading)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

ĒExemptions from self isolation requirement...
* a transit passenger, an individual transiting to a country outside of the Common Travel Area, who remains airside and does not pass border controlĒ
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ultimately it is just delaying BA's re-start of operations.... Assuming the quarantine goes at least through some of July then any summer/leisure demand they/BA had will likely dissipate, whereas travel started to see an uptick here in the US this weekend (holiday weekend). I imagine we will start to see July and August cancellations from BA and other carriers flying into the UK at any time.

My speculation is that the quarantine is most likely put in place to stop Britons travelling out of the Country (unless an "air bridge" is determined) and so for me as a frequent visitor to the UK the definition of "essential" travel now needs to be addressed clearly by UK authorities. Is all business travel essential? Is visiting elderly family members essential? Is visiting a second/UK home essential? etc. Further, what if my trip to the UK is <14 days in the first place?

As for status - who knows anymore? BA have been dragging their feet for this long without comment, now they have even longer to try and figure it out to best satisfy their members.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: Executive Club
There is another exemption which is important, a person who commutes to work in another country and normally travels at least once a week. So if someone lives in London but has an office in Paris they visit weekly, this would be allowed without quarantine.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, HHonors Diamond
1. as published: However: another vague, to the point of unenforceable, after the event gibberish that unfortunately, in these very serious days, sums up this mess of a UK govt
2. As above
3. flip a coin ( edited: with so many jobs on line - seriously!)
T

Last edited by Telecasterman; May 22, 20 at 6:43 pm
Old May 22, 20, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
A few weeks ago I still harboured faint hopes of being able to start travelling again for business and pleasure by July. I'm now resigned to there being no travel (certainly not business) for the rest of 2020. What a horrible year this is.
Old May 22, 20, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I will be transiting on July 1st, so quarantine does not affect me directly. BUT, BA Europe schedule will be drastically reduced. Hence, my continuing flight to France is likely to be cancelled.
Old May 22, 20, 8:24 pm

I wonder what would happen if BA has an international-to-international connecting passenger at LHR who missed a connection - but it was a once a day connection (more likely due to reduced schedules?). The passenger would have to go landside as theyíd need to spend the night at LHR... would BA then be on the hook for 14 days of EU261 for the quarantine?
Old May 22, 20, 8:48 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
It is possible to be held airside though in most normal circumstances you'd be allowed to go to a hotel

It may also be like the original Australia situation where it was 14 days or until you left

With regards to status I am beginning to think BA will let it lapse to thin the ranks a bit needing to use lounge etc.
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
It is possible to be held airside though in most normal circumstances you'd be allowed to go to a hotel
It may also be like the original Australia situation where it was 14 days or until you left
With regards to status I am beginning to think BA will let it lapse to thin the ranks a bit needing to use lounge etc.
I do hope they will include the "or until you leave" exemption.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The regulations do exempt transit passengers (defined as "an individual transiting to a country outside of the Common Travel Area, who remains airside and does not pass border control") and also "crew, as defined in paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Air Navigation Order 2016(h), where such crew have travelled to the UK in the course of their work". That Schedule states:
“Crew” means persons carried in an aircraft who are—
(a) a member of the flight crew;
(b) a person carried on the flight deck who is appointed by the operator of the aircraft to give or to supervise the training, experience, practice and periodical tests required for the flight crew under article 114(2) or any provision of EU-OPS; or
(c) a member of the cabin crew
I have to admit that I don't really see the need for another thread discussing the extension of BAEC status during the covid crisis.
Old May 22, 20, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
There is another exemption which is important, a person who commutes to work in another country and normally travels at least once a week. So if someone lives in London but has an office in Paris they visit weekly, this would be allowed without quarantine.
Another example of how they can't realistically enforce this, too many holes.
Old May 22, 20, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Fairmont Premier
Quarantine was a great idea.... in March...

Today itís like someone on a Titanic lifeboat saying Ďitís a touch icy out, maybe we should slow down a bit....í
LCY8737 likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 11:41 pm

Anyone an idea on how someone returning to the UK from abroad will be affected, where they need to transit at LHR and get a domestic flight to another part of the UK (after an overnight stay at LHR due to flight schedule)?

As they will have to exit LHR to go airside to stay in a hotel, does that mean the quarantine period will have to be carried out in the vicinity of LHR or will they be allowed to transit domestically to get home the following day?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: