Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current BA onboard social distancing and use of washrooms

Current BA onboard social distancing and use of washrooms

Old May 25, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
BA, in a corporate sense, continue to be (unless I have missed something ?) oddly silent on the much-debated matter of wearing face masks whilst onboard.

Under their own FAQ’s on britishairways.com, this appears :

Do you need to wear a face mask ?

“Please be aware that it’s now mandatory to wear personal protective masks at some airports. Please make sure you check airport guidelines before you travel, so you can arrive prepared”

Qantas recently sent me an email, setting out - in some detail - various new procedures under two separate headings ‘Pre-flight’ and ‘Onboard the plane’.

No such email received, as yet, from BA - and yet I generally fly far more with BA than I do with Qantas (and have no direct status with QF),

There is a section in the Qantas email advisory, specifically relating to masks, which reads as follows :

Masks will be provided to all passengers - while these are not mandatory from a safety point of view, they are recommended to be worn for everyone’s peace-of-mind. Customers can also bring their own mask if they would prefer.”

The section on enhanced cleaning procedures now being implemented includes this :

Sanitising wipes given to all passengers to wipe down seat belts, trays and armrests themselves, if preferred.”
Old May 25, 2020, 6:31 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by the810
There is a difference between evidence that masks can stop some amount of droplets (I don't think anyone denies that) and evidence that wearing them by general public is beneficial for overal public health. Some of your links only deal with the former.

The Medrxiv link you posted even specifically states following: "The evidence is not sufficiently strong to support widespread use of facemasks as a protective measure against COVID-19. However, there is enough evidence to support the use of facemasks for short periods of time by particularly vulnerable individuals when in transient higher risk situations. Further high quality trials are needed to assess when wearing a facemask in the community is most likely to be protective."
This sentence is about protecting the wearer, not preventing the spread. The same link also says:
Greater effectiveness was suggested by observational studies. When both house-mates and an infected household member wore facemasks the odds of further household members becoming ill may be modestly reduced by around 19%
Somehow all you need to focus is this:

Originally Posted by Misco60
So, wearing a mask does not protect the wearer but does prevent the spread of infection from an infected person. As it is not always apparent whether a person is infected, it seems not only sensible but also desirable to require everyone in public spaces to wear a mask.
Misco60 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.