Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Avios Thank You Appeal : donate Avios to UK NHS workers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Just received this email:

Say thank you with Avios

Introducing the Avios Thank You Appeal

Dear Mr Wilsnunn

Every day NHS workers are going above and beyond to keep us safe.

We’re very proud that many of our colleagues are volunteering in their local communities and health services as part of our company-wide taskforce and today we’re delighted to introduce the Avios Thank You Appeal, a new initiative from our friends at Avios.

The aim of the Avios Thank You Appeal is to reward NHS workers for the amazing work they’re doing around the country, by giving them Avios to enjoy, when they can finally take a break.

As an Executive Club Member, you can support by donating your Avios today and the more Avios that are donated, the more NHS workers we can thank.

By gifting Avios, an NHS worker can choose a reward that best suits their needs after this difficult period. This could be a flight for that well-deserved getaway, a trip to the theatre with their loved ones, or a weekend away in a relaxing hotel.

What’s more, Avios is offering over 200 million Avios to kick start the appeal. This is enough to reward at least 3,500 NHS workers with 60,000 Avios each and with your help, we can reach many more.

Together, let’s thank our NHS.

Last edited by wilsnunn; May 18, 2020 at 10:42 am
Old May 18, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
A nice idea from BA however I am sure it will turn into a PR Nightmare for them when we get the following headlines:

1. Hard working Nurse can't get any flights during holidays
2. BA demand Ł999 for "Free Flights"
3. Avios worthless, it would have been cheaper to fly Ryanair

Now we all know about availability, surcharges, using them for a return to Paris isn't good value (Flexibility aside) but many of the hard working recipients wont and the medial (Daily Mail) will make a mountain out of it.
stevie, MaxFlyer, Lenis and 10 others like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I guess they could use them for a case of wine.... or a couple of nights actually free in a hotel... not everyone works out the value of Avios
Old May 18, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
For completeness, here are the FAQs from the webpage:

How will my Avios be deducted?
If you donate via the buttons with specific amounts – please allow up to 24 hours for your donation to display in your account. If you’d like to specify your own amount via the online form - this will be reflected in your Avios balance within five days. When viewing all transactions you will see – “Avios adjustment NHS thank you appeal” – appear under the description column.

Where will my Avios go?
Every single Avios raised will go to nominated NHS workers after this difficult period. Each nominated worker will receive 60,000 Avios so the more Avios raised, the more workers we can thank.

Which NHS workers are you helping?
You will be helping NHS workers from across the UK, from over 250 NHS hospital trusts, ambulance trusts and other healthcare organisations involved in the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

How will the NHS decide who to pick?
Avios awards will be divided across the hospitals, ambulance and healthcare organisations, and workers will be nominated by Trust management teams.

When will the Avios be received by the NHS staff?
Avios Group are working with the NHS management teams over the coming months to allocate the Avios to the different Trusts, which will happen after the customer donation campaign has finished in June. The NHS trusts will nominate their colleagues at different times over the remainder of 2020, as the care peak subsides.

Why are Avios only supporting NHS workers and not other key workers?
Avios value the contribution that all our key workers are making in the fight against Covid-19 but have chosen, in this instance, to focus on NHS workers.

How many NHS workers can we help?
Avios have kick-started this appeal by donating 210 million Avios, which is enough to reward at least 3,500 workers - but with your help, they’d love to reach many more.

Can the donation be completed via the call centres?
Donations can only be made on ba.com, there is no ability for the call centres will be unable to process any Avios donations.

Will a donation of Avios count as an activity to avoid a Member’s account from expiring?
Any spend on an account counts towards activity. This means if a member donates Avios, it will count as an activity on their account and extend their expiry date.

I get an error message when selecting a donation option, what does it mean?
This might be due to a technical error - please try again later. If the error persists, please use this form to submit your donation manually.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agree with others that this will backfire if NHS staff are expected to go through normal avios redemption route.

I'm also curious if there is a tax swerve embedded here -- if I 'redeem' my avios to BA this way, and BA 'donate' some reward flights on my behalf, are they going to pocket the tax relief on the value of the flights? Very beneficial for BA in that case.
MaxFlyer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I think that the idea of doing something for healthcare workers is a great idea, and most likely kick started by the QR offer of 100,000 free tickets for healthcare workers.

I see a few issues with this though:

- The Avios will be given to nominated workers, some people might see the Avios that they receive as completely worthless, it might be better if there is some form of opting into it
- Given that the NHS gets to pick who will receive the Avios, might this end up getting taxed as a bonus? (I have no knowledge of this kind of thing so it is purely conjecture)
- Without some form of “education” for those who do not know the world of air miles, the value and usability might come as quite a surprise, the points raised by CT-UK highlight the main flaws
Old May 18, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
These things are often "donate 10,000 Avios and we'll give Ł10 to charity" mini scams.

But when I read the email I thought "why not just treat your own employees with respect" instead of trying to buy some positive PR.
stevie, DYKWIA, JimEddie and 8 others like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Oh well, whatever, I just donated some.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Yet other airlines (AA and QR) are giving flights away off their own back, rather than relying on others to pay for them...
Old May 18, 2020, 10:52 am
Suspended

Daily Fail head line ‘ I received BA Avios but there are no flights to Rhodes’

I hope BA works with a big retailer so Avios can be redeemed easily on something that can be enjoyed.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Yet other airlines (AA and QR) are giving flights away off their own back, rather than relying on others to pay for them...
Well, Avios group did donate 210,000,000 Avios so they have done something. The NHS staff will of course then be expected to pay the taxes/fees/charges on top of the Avios that they get though.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
I have a relative working in the NHS, (her other half is a paramedic), They have 3 kids under 7, Im sure IF they were fortunate to receive 60K of Avios its really going give them a nice holiday (SAID SARCASTICALLY ...)

Thats not to mention any other costs that BA will apply....Something for WW to tell the select committee next time ..Deflection from their attitude to BA staff..PR Stunt..
Old May 18, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Perhaps BA could just focus their efforts on refunding their customers properly rather than these fake PR type schemes.
They can't even administer the refunds properly.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:17 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I think that the idea of doing something for healthcare workers is a great idea, and most likely kick started by the QR offer of 100,000 free tickets for healthcare workers.

Aegean also did this for Greek Covid-19 designated hospitals some weeks ago.

Miles for Medics
wilsnunn likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
AA currently has their "Honoring health care heroes" scheme running in conjunction with Hyatt. I had a few thousand AA miles sitting in my account that were going to expire soon so I donated those. I didn't have enough to book a flight so donating them rather than seeing them expire seemed a good idea!
MaxFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.