Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFF PEAK more avios to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

OFF PEAK more avios to upgrade?

so i am looking at buying a cash fare in prem economy (LHR - AUH) and upgrading only the inbound leg to club using AVIOS.
peak is 20k, and offpeak is 24k avios to upgrade...
outbound on 9th dec
inbound on 14th dec = 20k
inbound on 15th dec = 24k - ?
Old May 17, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
15 Dec has been set as an Off Peak day as opposed to the rest of December from 12/12 onwards being peak so you are paying 50k -26k for a W-J upgrade as opposed to the 60k-40k you would on a peak day. I would say its an error however DXB also has off peak pricing on 15/12 as well; Might be worth calling BA to see if this is an error unless there is something special in the UAE on 15/12 which would warrant this as an off peak date. But in answer to your question it does cost more to upgrade using avios on this route on an off peak day rather than peak.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes those rates are correct. Remember that the UuA avios cost is the difference between the avios costs for the two cabins,

Rates are

off peak
WTP 26,000
CW 50,000
UuA 24,000

peak
WTP 40,000
CW 60,000
UuA 20,000
Old May 17, 2020, 6:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also see here https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...calendar-2020/

Confirms 15 December is off peak, and 14 December is peak.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:02 am

I think OP’s post suggests that it’s counter intuitive that BA requires less Avios to upgrade for a peak day than an off peak one. While it’s perceivably strange, that’s how the redemption chart has defined it. I too was surprised when this was first rolled out some years back.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I think OP’s post suggests that it’s counter intuitive that BA requires less Avios to upgrade for a peak day than an off peak one. While it’s perceivably strange, that’s how the redemption chart has defined it. I too was surprised when this was first rolled out some years back.
Indeed it's nothing new, it's been around since the start of the off peak concept. Behind this was that the off peak rates for WT and WTP are more attractive - relatively speaking - than the much smaller reduction for First and Club. Varies a bit depending on location and the underlying Avios bands. Now UuA involves necessarily going the other direction, and therefore the cllmb to the next cabin above becomes stiffer. So if you look at KARFA's example, WTP is quite a discount off peak, Club not so much.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Makes sense now i understand how the 20 vs 24k is calculated (thanks KARFA), but it obviously doesn't make sense as a customer, i pay the same cash fare on the 14th/15th, yet it costs me more to upgrade on an off peak day (but at least i understand why now I guess)..
Thanks all, another points quirk to remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.