FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Trading while Insolvent (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2017892-trading-while-insolvent.html)

clansey1973 May 17, 2020 11:28 am

Trading while Insolvent

That BA is giving Vouchers for refunds and is making it difficult for people to get their Cash back is truly appalling. British Airways is being managed with all the ethical spine of the worst of bucket-shops. The business is clearly bust and it can only be a matter of time before this shameful treatment of Customers is challenged in the Courts. It wouldn't surprise me if some Bright-Spark in Waterside is working on a Debt-for-Equity plan : "Loyal Customers" can exchange their Vouchers for future travel for Shares in British Airways plc (2020) Ltd. I appreciate the whole of society is going through an appalling time, that British Airways think forcing the little-people to give them effectively an interest free loan represents a new-low in corporate arrogance.

Why do I pay good money for an Amex Card with this shameful organisations logo on it? Why would any sane person be loyal to organisation that treats people like this?

KARFA May 17, 2020 11:31 am

Have you been refused a refund for bookings with cancelled flights clansey1973? I haven't.

I have been refused refunds by other European full service airlines though - fortunately I have got my money via amex chargebacks..

T8191 May 17, 2020 12:18 pm

The OP has an opinion, as is his right.

I’m not quite sure about the basis of that opinion, though. My BA and other refunds have come through smoothly ... more to come, of course, and hoping they are handled in same manner.

dcmike May 17, 2020 12:23 pm

My BA refunds came through within 10 days. My OS (and from what I understand, all of Lufthansa group) refund is currently over one month and still counting....

fruitcage May 17, 2020 12:41 pm

BA refunds are certainly more tricky to request than they used to be, but simple cases seem to be processed within a few days.

BA is losing money but is undoubtedly solvent.

CharlesWindsorClive1964 May 17, 2020 12:51 pm

I don't think the terms of a refund have got worse - they have got better.

If the flight is cancelled, you get a refund - no change.
If the flight isn't cancelled and you don't want to travel, you get a voucher (dates permitting) - new change.

Before a flight you wanted to cancel by choice would result in significant loss. I'm not a BA cheer leader, I hate the fact they made a refund harder, but I don't think your comment is fair...

Scots_Al May 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by CharlesWindsorClive1964 (Post 32383216)
I don't think the terms of a refund have got worse - they have got better.

If the flight is cancelled, you get a refund - no change.
If the flight isn't cancelled and you don't want to travel, you get a voucher (dates permitting) - new change.

Before a flight you wanted to cancel by choice would result in significant loss. I'm not a BA cheer leader, I hate the fact they made a refund harder, but I don't think your comment is fair...

Agreed, but let’s not pretend there hasn’t been a wee bit of sharp practice by BA.

CharlesWindsorClive1964 May 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 32383226)
Agreed, but let’s not pretend there hasn’t been a wee bit of sharp practice by BA.

Believe me, I'm no fan of BA other than the practicality of their routes for me (London based). I despise so much, which is why I'm actively looking into other FFPs for '21 with the view it might be more logical for me to be Sapphire with AY and equivalent with *A than to be Emerald with BAEC.

However, I think BA have gone beyond what is expected of them with the flexible cancellation policy. Despite the voucher not being worth more (e.g AY +10%), validity of use is very generous. I've not heard of a single case of BA turning down a refund for a cancelled flight.

BA could just turn away from vouchers and tell you to talk to your insurance. I'm not sure what more is expected when they're already going beyond what is legally required?

Scots_Al May 17, 2020 1:35 pm

They have gone beyond what is legally required on one hand, but on the other have engaged in some seriously sharp practice with the way they have also tried to encourage the impression amongst people who are legally entitled to a refund that their only option is to accept a voucher (albeit I accept that you will get one if you ask). And I’d imagine that they have been pretty successful in this approach, savvy FT-era notwithstanding.

gcuk May 17, 2020 1:37 pm

My BA refunds came through in 3 days. No issues with BA here. Can’t say the same for 2 other airlines.

Keiran Newberry May 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Clansy, go sit down, have a cup of tea, some deep breaths, and try again.

There is a lot of emotion and anger in your post with very little of anything factual. I can appreciate these times are hard but BA, for all of their faults with the way they're acting at the moment, are one of the better European airlines for getting refunds. Try getting one from RyanAir or TUI.

Offering vouchers isn't despicable. They're trying to cling on to the cash that the industry as a whole is hemorrhaging. No one is forcing you to take a voucher.

No one is forcing you, incidentally, to pay for a BA Amex card

LBA_flyer May 17, 2020 1:57 pm

So, we can confirm that BA are being less worse A-holes than other major european carriers, and for that we should applaud you...... Congratulations Mr Walsh/Cruz etc.

Often1 May 17, 2020 1:59 pm

It would be most helpful if OP would point to the specific instances where he has been due a refund from BA and one has not been refused (as well as what action his credit card issuer took when he initiated a chargeback).

Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion, but the allegations here are factual so the facts would be helpful.

It does appear that BA makes relatively timely refunds on request and has also provided a significant loosening of the fare rules passengers agreed to, to the substantial benefit of passengers.

plunet May 17, 2020 2:48 pm

BA refund - one phone call and received money 3 days later.
Beijing Capital Airlines - twenty phone calls, mystery fraudulent emails in Chinese offering to refund via Alipay, eventually got my money after 14 weeks.

YMMV

mikeyfly May 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Good grief