Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gradually the future of Air Travel becomes Clearer...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gradually the future of Air Travel becomes Clearer...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 7:23 am

Reading ALL your opinions make me cringe and definitely not want to travel at all during the pandemic and the months to come. I am not a fan of those who are excited to travel during the pandemic as they like to see people cramped up, no decent food, dramas on board, toilette issues etc.

I hope the authorities in my country will uphold the travel ban and the 14 days mandatory quarantine untill the pandemic is over, in order to deter useless travelling which can only help spread Covid19 more easily and kill people!
DYKWIA, Silver Fox and allturnleft like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Redmax - stop sitting on the fence .... just say what you think
Old May 13, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Redmax - stop sitting on the fence .... just say what you think
I said it loud and clear! Do what you want but do not it in my country with our people!
Old May 13, 2020, 7:30 am

Random thoughts...some tongue-in-cheek, some not.

1) I look forward to all the aircraft standing on their tails as the boarding from the back proceeds and the baggage handlers haven't put enough weight up front yet!

2) As the air circulates mainly front to back between scrubbing, F and J seats will be at an even higher premium.

3) Whilst prices are likely to increase and the airport experience be even more arduous, the pleasure element will reduce. Many may conclude that it is better to stay home, take the train or drive.

4) Due to the above, longhaul travel will shrink massively and prices for those flights will increase dis-proportionately and largely be on either infrequent large aircraft or more frequent small/single-isle .

5) Airline staff will be at such increased risk that any semblance of customer service on board will vanish and many may look for alternate employment.
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:31 am

You absolutely did say it loud and clear, Redmax !

May I ask which country you are speaking about ?
Old May 13, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Come on, we are talking about how air future would be affected in terms of service, measures, restrictions here in this thread.
Not, if we are planning to fly if there are measures or not, nor if we would risk getting affected COVID-19 onboard.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:35 am

You absolutely did say it loud and clear, Redmax !

May I ask which country you are speaking about ?
In Europe
Old May 13, 2020, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Come on, we are talking about how air future would be affected in terms of service, measures, restrictions here in this thread.
Not, if we are planning to fly if there are measures or not, nor if we would risk getting affected COVID-19 onboard.
The airlines will use the fear of the people to reduce services and therefore save money. They will find grounds to excuse why certain permissions on board are necessary, why food items are not offered anymore etc. I do not like to fly with people all masks, in overalls, shields etc as if I am in a ICU ward in hospital. There is not yet a 100% airfilter which can recycle the air onboard virus free. So for me why bother fly and risk my health and life. No air travel in this world is so important!
Old May 13, 2020, 7:48 am

@ ISTFlyer - the thread itself has been prompted entirely by Covid-19. And the ongoing threat of Covid-19 will determine not only what type and scale of changes we will see in terms of service and restrictions - but also the levels of passenger traffic ; which, in turn, will affect airline revenues, expenditure, and ....... service levels. These issues are so intertwined as to be logically inseparable.
Redmax likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I don't think you'll have much choice. What are you expecting? Most countries have been affected badly, so nothing will be the same again, however much we bury our heads and stamp our feet.

Airports won't be the same. I can't see airport lounges open with their buffets for a long time. I was told by a senior BA pilot he doesn't see alcohol returning on long haul as it's really good excuse to clamp down. When it returns, it will be deliberately restricted. BA will be serving your food as a pre-packed product through 2020.

On top of this, your airline has been hit hard, they'll want to reduce costs massively.
I always have the option of not flying, one of the privileges of being a leisure flyer. If service is reduced below the level I deem acceptable, I will simply not hand over the money, and spend it on something other than flying.
the810, DelTroon and Redmax like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Redmax
The airlines will use the fear of the people to reduce services and therefore save money. They will find grounds to excuse why certain permissions on board are necessary, why food items are not offered anymore etc. I do not like to fly with people all masks, in overalls, shields etc as if I am in a ICU ward in hospital. There is not yet a 100% airfilter which can recycle the air onboard virus free. So for me why bother fly and risk my health and life. No air travel in this world is so important!
I respect your opinion. Everyone has the right to agree/disagree with each other.

However, it's true that there would be a population who wouldn't care about COVID, still would like to travel and experience the full product for what they've paid.
As the flight loads would decrease and the fares would increase for an unestimated time period, passengers would expect more from the airlines.
The number of repatriating people has decreased significantly and the number of non-essential travelers ( who travel on their own will without any external factor ) are increasing.
If they keep the service level low, restrict access to toilets, and take similar precautions; I'm sorry to tell that toll-roads and highway outlets would earn the money that airlines and duty-free stores would have.

@ ISTFlyer - the thread itself has been prompted entirely by Covid-19. And the ongoing threat of Covid-19 will determine not only what type and scale of changes we will see in terms of service and restrictions - but also the levels of passenger traffic ; which, in turn, will affect airline revenues, expenditure, and ....... service levels. These issues are so intertwined as to be logically inseparable.
The information in this post is completely true, I forgot to mention the factors that you had mentioned in your post.
However, we have many threads here that discuss issues like " I would not fly unless there is a vaccine ", etc...

Sorry, if I misinterpreted the posts above.
the810 and kanderson1965 like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Looks like Seatguru will need to change it's review on seats near to the lavatory to being a good seat and seats far from the lavatories as something like. "This seat will require you to have a strong bladder" Wonder what colour they would ue for this seat?

ML
It really couldn't be anything but YELLOW surely ?
Old May 13, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Removal of alcohol ( as now I believe) is odd, but to be honest so is people desire to drink on an aircraft.

I used to drink ( sometimes a lot, mostly not) but had to stop last December as I had a heart condition and booze increases your pulse ( by quite a lot) which I was trying to avoid.

The funny thing 6 months later having had nil booze I really dont miss it at all.

Alcohol free beer, wine, champagne if you choose well is fine. If you dont it is crap as are the fake gin " botanicals" which are without exception (to me) hideous.

I make by partner a drink every night so I am not against booze in any way, but you might be interested what happens if you stop drinking it. There really are no downsides that I can find.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by jmd
I am sure that the technology does work well for you, and if that allows you and your organisation to save on travel then that is great. There are lots of journalists out there who keep saying the same sort of thing. However, I don’t think you can generalise based on your own experience. For anyone whose role involves dealing with matters where negotiation around difficult, contentious or emotive issues is required, zoom/video calling is a nightmare. The reason why business travel has survived is that in many areas the benefits of face-to-face contact are impossible to replicate. I will be flying as soon as it is reasonable practical to do so, and so I am sure will be many others.
But not nearly as many as before. Which is the point. The balance is changing, and that has structural consequences.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
To echo the post above, there can't be a CFO on the planet who hasn't seen their business working without travel or accommodation outgoings and immediately thought "£¥$€!!!!"...

I think discretionary business travel will really, really struggle going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.