Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket Validity - success with extension?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Ticket Validity - success with extension?

Has anybody had success with having a cancelled flight rebooked beyond their ticket validity (1 year for the date of issue)?

My ticket issued October 11th 2019 - for a flight that was just cancelled (June 2nd), but I would like to fly out on Oct 17-25, agent said its just not possible due to the ticket validity, i must complete my travel by Oct 11 2020.

Wondering if there were any things they could do in the system to extend this, or is this really a case of compute says no, would prefer a rebook vs refund if possible.

Any help appreciated.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Has anybody had success with having a cancelled flight rebooked beyond their ticket validity (1 year for the date of issue)?

My ticket issued October 11th 2019 - for a flight that was just cancelled (June 2nd), but I would like to fly out on Oct 17-25, agent said its just not possible due to the ticket validity, i must complete my travel by Oct 11 2020.

Wondering if there were any things they could do in the system to extend this, or is this really a case of compute says no, would prefer a rebook vs refund if possible.

Any help appreciated.
no chance really unfortunately
Anonba likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:15 am

Yes, I have. Ticket originally issued in December 2018 for travel in March 2019 (first sector - which has been flown), however due to multiple cancellations by BA/AA for remaining sectors, the ticket validity has been extended twice and the final sector will now be flown in 2021. I do feel extremely lucky for the flexibility BA has shown in this specific case, however, I assume being GGL helps to have the "computer says no" approach overlooked somewhat (coupled with some excellent agents who have actioned this on my behalf).

Therefore, it can be done, but only if it suits BA commercially.
Old May 12, 2020, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
(first sector - which has been flown)
I wonder if that is the key difference?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 12, 2020 at 11:51 am Reason: Fix quote
Old May 12, 2020, 7:28 am
Original Poster

yeah there seems to anecdotal evidence of some people managing it, but perhaps its because part of the ticket has been used....
Old May 12, 2020, 7:36 am

I wonder if that is the key difference?
It most likely is. Of course, BA did not need to extend the ticket validity for which I am definitely thankful for it.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Any help appreciated.
I think BA's approach here may be inconsistent with Article 8 of EC261. Article 8(1)(c) states (bolding mine for emphasis):

'1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats'

There is no mention there of 'ticket validity', the choice of date is that of the passenger and is only subject to 'availability of seats'.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the tickets were not expiring, BA would still charge any fare difference and, to be frank, October schedules are completely notional at this point. Why not take either the credit and use it for October tickets or better yet, take a refund. As you have not posted your routing, perhaps it is necessarily a BA ticket, but it may well be that by October, there will be better service on another carrier and having the cash means you get to choose.

Unde
Old May 12, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Even if the tickets were not expiring, BA would still charge any fare difference and, to be frank, October schedules are completely notional at this point. Why not take either the credit and use it for October tickets or better yet, take a refund. As you have not posted your routing, perhaps it is necessarily a BA ticket, but it may well be that by October, there will be better service on another carrier and having the cash means you get to choose.

Unde
That too may be inconsistent with Article 8.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: BA
Just thought would chip in with what happened to me (and can't figure out what the policy is)

Had a 241 booked in First. LGW - BGI 2nd June 2020 return 9th June 2020 (Off - Peak). This was booked November 2019.

Got the cancellation notification for my flights around the same time BA announced the updated policy.

I went onto manage my booking to try my luck and change the flights (managed to find availability 3rd April 2021 return 11th April 2021 - Peak). Got a confirmation on screen saying your new tickets will be emailed to you.

My online BA account hadn't updated for a couple days (kept trying to select seats). Dropped a note to YouFirst just to ask why I can't seem to select seats or see the updated booking on BA exec.

Thanks for your email regarding your upcoming flight booking. I'm sorry to see your flight has been cancelled, we don't underestimate the disruption this must have had to your travel schedule.

got this reply:
I've looked into the details for you and it seems that the booking has changed but the online system has failed to issue the tickets for you. As you have selected the dates outbound 03 April 2021 and inbound 11 April 2021 I've now completed the ticket issue for you. The booking reference will remain the same and you will receive a confirmation with new e-ticket numbers on shortly.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused for you.

I got the email notification, BA exec updated and I could select my seats. Additional avios haven't been taken from my account (yet) even though it has moved from off peak to peak.

Strangely, when I go onto MMB and want to change my flight date I am told I can do this:
  • change to another peak date
  • change to an off-peak date
(e.g.change return from 11th April to 10th April I get an error message saying

Error

• The date you have chosen is more than 365 days from the original date of booking. Please choose an earlier date and try again
apologies for the long post just thought would share my experience. Not sure if I can make the change if I called up.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:38 am
dnw

I have had it done for a cancelled flight booked 355 days before as my rebook options were therefore quite limited, the agent was happy to reissue it and change to a few months later in this circumstance.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That too may be inconsistent with Article 8.
There is certainly no precedential authority for how out a carrier must book (without collecting a fare difference, if there is one).

In addition, current EC Guidance -- which is non-binding, but Guidance nonetheless, suggests that the provision is satisfied with a refund in the current pandemic situation, at the same time as it reinforces that the pandemic does not excuse withholding a refund.

Thus, two hurdles to jump.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
There is certainly no precedential authority for how out a carrier must book (without collecting a fare difference, if there is one).

In addition, current EC Guidance -- which is non-binding, but Guidance nonetheless, suggests that the provision is satisfied with a refund in the current pandemic situation, at the same time as it reinforces that the pandemic does not excuse withholding a refund.

Thus, two hurdles to jump.
Not on my reading of the guidance!
haroon145 and KARFA like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think BA's approach here may be inconsistent with Article 8 of EC261. Article 8(1)(c) states (bolding mine for emphasis):

'1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats'

There is no mention there of 'ticket validity', the choice of date is that of the passenger and is only subject to 'availability of seats'.
All the guidance we are given for cancelled flights is that we can only rebook passengers within normal ticket validity.

Last edited by Anonba; May 12, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by aswat300
Just thought would chip in with what happened to me (and can't figure out what the policy is)

Had a 241 booked in First. LGW - BGI 2nd June 2020 return 9th June 2020 (Off - Peak). This was booked November 2019.

Got the cancellation notification for my flights around the same time BA announced the updated policy.

I went onto manage my booking to try my luck and change the flights (managed to find availability 3rd April 2021 return 11th April 2021 - Peak). Got a confirmation on screen saying your new tickets will be emailed to you.

My online BA account hadn't updated for a couple days (kept trying to select seats). Dropped a note to YouFirst just to ask why I can't seem to select seats or see the updated booking on BA exec.

Thanks for your email regarding your upcoming flight booking. I'm sorry to see your flight has been cancelled, we don't underestimate the disruption this must have had to your travel schedule.

got this reply:
I've looked into the details for you and it seems that the booking has changed but the online system has failed to issue the tickets for you. As you have selected the dates outbound 03 April 2021 and inbound 11 April 2021 I've now completed the ticket issue for you. The booking reference will remain the same and you will receive a confirmation with new e-ticket numbers on shortly.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused for you.

I got the email notification, BA exec updated and I could select my seats. Additional avios haven't been taken from my account (yet) even though it has moved from off peak to peak.

Strangely, when I go onto MMB and want to change my flight date I am told I can do this:
  • change to another peak date
  • change to an off-peak date
(e.g.change return from 11th April to 10th April I get an error message saying

Error

• The date you have chosen is more than 365 days from the original date of booking. Please choose an earlier date and try again
apologies for the long post just thought would share my experience. Not sure if I can make the change if I called up.
Ok so you booked November 2019 for the sake of argument 01 November. Your ticket validity is 1 year from booking so you would need to travel outbound before 01 November 2020 and then inbound within 1 year of your outbound flight.

In your case it looks like an error ive heard about where ba.com books outside of ticket validity but the ticket fails to reissue. Looks like you were very lucky and the mistake was honoured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.