Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Long-Haul Route Discussion for the 3rd & 4th Quarter of 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old May 21, 20, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
Terminated Routes

​​​​​​
Heathrow - Beirut

Temporary Suspensions for a short while

Heathrow - Buenos Aires ( until 1 Sep 2020 )

Temporary Suspensions for S20

Heathrow - Calgary
Heathrow - Charleston

Route Inaugural Delayed

Heathrow - Portland ( to 2 Sep 2020 )
Print Wikipost

Old May 11, 20, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards

Dear folks,

As you might know, most long-haul routes of BA would not resume for a while; such examples are Buenos Aires, Sydney, and several US destinations that are not approved screening airports.

What do you all think about the future of these routes that are not scheduled to resume for a while?
Would BA immediately open these routes when government restrictions are lifted?
Do you think that BA would pause secondary long haul destinations for a while ( Calgary, Durban, Nashville, Osaka, Rio de Janeiro, etc... )?

Any other similar discussions are welcome.

I would also create a WIKI to support the recent BA long-haul schedule and active flights.

These are the long-haul routes that are not scheduled to operate on June;

Abu Dhabi
Abuja
Accra
Atlanta
Austin
Bahrain
Baltimore
Bangalore
Bangkok
Beirut
Buenos Aires
Cairo
Cape Town
Calgary
Charleston
Chennai
Dammam
Denver
Dubai
Durban
Grand Cayman
Houston
Hyderabad
Islamabad
Jeddah
Las Vegas
Kuala Lumpur
Kuwait
Mexico City
Nairobi
Nashville
Nassau
Newark
New Orleans
Osaka
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Portland
Rio de Janeiro
Riyadh
San Diego
San Jose
Santiago de Chile
Seattle
Seoul
Seychelles
Vancouver

These routes are served with BA codeshare flights so they are not included in the list

Dallas
Doha
Miami

The future of these routes are still pending ( for June )

Beijing
Shanghai
Old May 11, 20, 3:14 pm

I have a booking PHX-LHR for 27/10/2020. I am looking forward to complete an item on my bucket list and believe that the UK will not have the 14 day quarantine in place. If the the PHX-LHR route doesn't open back up, will change it to either LAX-LHR or ORD-LHR. I am determined to visit the UK this year.
GrumpyYoungMan and 20Rothmans like this.
Old May 11, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
What is your definition of a "secondary long haul destination" please?

I think BA will take a pragmatic approach to opening routes. It won't want to have planes grounded for longer than necessary. It needs to be operating flights and moving passengers and freight in order to generate income. If BA isn't operating flights to / from a specific destination then it risks losing market share to other operators who have started flying there again, or potentially losing slots and being unable to operate at all.

I'm not going to wait forever for BA to start flying out of Las Vegas before I consider flying back to the UK. If they decide not to operate from here but I can fly with AA via DFW then I'll happily do that instead. I'd not go so far as to say I'd fly KLM / Delta via AMS if that was the only option, but beggars can't be choosers. BA will have a very narrow window of opportunity to ramp up flights once restrictions are lifted otherwise he who hesitates is lost!
Old May 11, 20, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I've got CAI-LHR booked for 2020-11-08, for what that's worth.
Old May 11, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Blue; BW Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
My daughter booked LHR-SFO-LHR for August. She and her husband work from home so the 2 week isolation on return is exactly how she is living today. Hopefully SFO will survive the limited routes. I would think the primary cities will need to be "fully utilized" whatever that means in the Covid era, before secondary routes are added.
Old May 11, 20, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
What is your definition of a "secondary long haul destination" please?

I think BA will take a pragmatic approach to opening routes. It won't want to have planes grounded for longer than necessary. It needs to be operating flights and moving passengers and freight in order to generate income. If BA isn't operating flights to / from a specific destination then it risks losing market share to other operators who have started flying there again, or potentially losing slots and being unable to operate at all.

I'm not going to wait forever for BA to start flying out of Las Vegas before I consider flying back to the UK. If they decide not to operate from here but I can fly with AA via DFW then I'll happily do that instead. I'd not go so far as to say I'd fly KLM / Delta via AMS if that was the only option, but beggars can't be choosers. BA will have a very narrow window of opportunity to ramp up flights once restrictions are lifted otherwise he who hesitates is lost!
My definition of secondary long haul destination is those destinations;
The combination of some of these;
-which are not served by a majority of carriers to/from the UK and Europe
-which have nearby more major international airports ( within the 500-750km circle )
-which are not transfer hubs
-which are mainly served by LCC ( to/from the UK and Europe )

For your LAS trip, if this approved screening point regulation of the USA is lifted by then, I think that they would either keep one of the LAS flights ( maybe x3 weekly rather than multiple daily flights both from LGW and LHR ). However, I could not say the same thing for Austin, Nashville, New Orleans, and Tampa.

By the way, LHR-DFW and DFW-LAS would definitely be operating during your travel dates.

Also, keep in mind that QR is not resuming major US cities like Atlanta, Miami, and Philadelphia until the winter season.
Old May 11, 20, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Is HND-LHR still on schedule, for late Septpember? Thanks.
Old May 11, 20, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Is HND-LHR still on schedule, for late Septpember? Thanks.
HND is also running during June so it's unlikely to be canceled entirely. However, they could operate this route x1 daily rather than x2 daily; unfortunately, the answer is still hidden in the future.
Old May 11, 20, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
So do you consider both PHL and PHX to be secondary? They are in your list but I'd consider both to be transfer hubs. I can understand BWI (as an example) as being a possible secondary destination as it's within spitting distance of other large airports. For Phoenix the only flights to the UK / Europe are operated by BA and AA, and the latter has said they are only looking to resume service from 7th October. I can't see why BA wouldn't consider flying to PHX once they are able to.

From PHL the announcement from AA was that flights would resume on 4th June - so does that mean BA shouldn't consider flying to / from PHL simply because it's now served by AA?

If BA is the only airline operating to a particular destination then it may be more advantageous to them to resume service there than to consider it "secondary" and potentially lose that route to another carrier. If you look at the west coast of the US, you could potentially argue that you could just fly to SFO on the basis that everywhere else is within a couple of hours of San Francisco. No need for flights to Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, Portland, Vancouver, Las Vegas or Phoenix!
Old May 11, 20, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Compared to badly infected countries the authorities here have been ultra cautious in all areas of virus protection. In fact they've been so OTT with it one has to question why?
EZE won't be operating flights until September at the earliest. Which is no bad thing if you're a tourist as between now and then it'll be dark at the back of six and some days can be a bit nippy.
Old May 11, 20, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
So do you consider both PHL and PHX to be secondary? They are in your list but I'd consider both to be transfer hubs. I can understand BWI (as an example) as being a possible secondary destination as it's within spitting distance of other large airports. For Phoenix the only flights to the UK / Europe are operated by BA and AA, and the latter has said they are only looking to resume service from 7th October. I can't see why BA wouldn't consider flying to PHX once they are able to.

From PHL the announcement from AA was that flights would resume on 4th June - so does that mean BA shouldn't consider flying to / from PHL simply because it's now served by AA?

If BA is the only airline operating to a particular destination then it may be more advantageous to them to resume service there than to consider it "secondary" and potentially lose that route to another carrier. If you look at the west coast of the US, you could potentially argue that you could just fly to SFO on the basis that everywhere else is within a couple of hours of San Francisco. No need for flights to Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, Portland, Vancouver, Las Vegas or Phoenix!
No, PHL and PHX are AA hubs and not secondary; as you mentioned, Baltimore would be a secondary destination. If I'm not wrong, they are the only European carrier alongside Condor at BWI. For the Bay Area, San Jose would be the secondary destination. For Southern California, San Diego would be the secondary destination.

Los Angeles and SFO are major airports that there is excessive demand compared to other airports so we could not describe them as secondary.

And yes, IMO, San Jose, Portland, San Diego, Baltimore, Nashville, New Orleans, Austin, Charleston, Tampa, and Calgary would be shelved for a while.

From the AA announcement, yes, they plan to resume PHL on 4 June but for a while, where the demand allows, AA would be the only one operating that route. It would not make sense for BA to operate the route at the same time as AA as there would be no demand for the second flight. IMO, BA would resume Dallas and Miami before Philadelphia and they would resume Philadelphia. By the way, still, we have no information when the US approved screening point restriction would be lifted so I pretty doubt that AA would be able to resume PHL-LHR on 4 June; we'll all see.

By the way, until AA resumes PHX-LHR, it may be feasible for BA to resume the route; however, the only European competitor is Condor so they might also like to add another ORD, JFK, DFW flight instead and connect these passengers to American.
Old May 12, 20, 12:48 am

We are booked to go LHR to CPT 11th November 2020. What I am not sure about are 2 things:
1.Currently 2 flights are listed per day - we are booked on the later one arriving at 11:30
2. Both are using the B744
Will there still be 2 flights per day and will they bring the B744 back to service?
In the past BA have used the 52J model on the CPT flights are and I understand that future plans by BA might involve becoming less premium heavy so this does fit. My concern is that we have reserved seats at the back of the WTP cabin as we do not like to recline in other peoples faces and I want to make sure that we will be at the back of whatever WTP cabin is deployed. I know CPT cannot accommodate the A380, I would not mind a change to the A350 though.
Further still, will they still use T3 or will it all be consolidated at T5?

Last edited by bigbadjoe; May 12, 20 at 12:55 am
Old May 12, 20, 1:00 am

We are in a situation from which no one seems to have a a way out. The government has announced a 14-day quarantine with unknown start date, end date and functioning. There’s absolutely zero clarity on what “social distancing” looks like in airports and onboard... I’d say that predicting which long haul routes will be open in the second half of the year is deeeeeep into crystal ball territory.
Old May 12, 20, 2:07 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
How is DUR a secondary airport? I believe it does very well. It is the only direct flight from Europe and connects to other flights.

(Oh and I have it booked for next Easter with 2 internal flights as well on Avios)
Old May 12, 20, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
We are in a situation from which no one seems to have a a way out. The government has announced a 14-day quarantine with unknown start date, end date and functioning. There’s absolutely zero clarity on what “social distancing” looks like in airports and onboard... I’d say that predicting which long haul routes will be open in the second half of the year is deeeeeep into crystal ball territory.
But that's all the fun of being on here, isn't it?
13901, Yreal, Geordie405 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: