Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sitting on 1 million+ Avios - What should I do?

Old May 10, 20, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Currently sitting on over 1 million Avios and increasingly skeptical about their value given that BAs future as the organization we know today is looking more uncertain by the day

Assuming scenarios could occur such as potential administration / separation from IAG / government buy-out (or some combination of all of these)....Id be interested to hear from others about their plans for their Avios. In these scenarios, Im also assuming that Avios would effectively become worthless....

Some thoughts I am considering:

- Buying 2 First class redemption tickets with Avios in the (futile?) hope that a ticket is ultimately more valuable than Avios should the airline enter into administration

- Buying First / Business redemptions via BA.com with Avios for flights on other airlines that may stand a better chance of survival (e.g. Qatar / American). Would this present any realistic opportunity to reduce my risk, even though the ticket would ultimately be BA ticketed?

- Booking hotel stays (towards end 2020 or early 2021) with Avios. I am assuming this option would ultimately be refundable.

- Just spending it all on wine now that this feature is possible again

Have others been looking at the same ideas?
Old May 10, 20, 4:18 am

I honestly think that your are worrying too much.

Let me put it this way.

If things will be so bad that IAG / BA goes bankrupt, I guarantee you that you will have other things to worry about, than your 1 million avios.

Please dont worry. Be happy. Stay safe. And look forward to spending your 1 million avios hopefully next year.
Old May 10, 20, 4:23 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
I honestly think that your are worrying too much.

Let me put it this way.

If things will be so bad that IAG / BA goes bankrupt, I guarantee you that you will have other things to worry about, than your 1 million avios.

Please dont worry. Be happy. Stay safe. And look forward to spending your 1 million avios hopefully next year.
Agree - rushed decisions are usually irrational decisions. Personally, I have a large stack of both Avios and SAS points and have resigned myself to just see what happens, and book when the outlook looks brighter. Ultimately we do not have an influence on it anyway (and what good are airline or hotel bookings if you cannot travel anyway due to government restrictions..)
Old May 10, 20, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm actually looking to double down and buy more with the 75% offer. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a life changing loss even if everything else goes belly up. There's nothing you can do with them that isn't just as risky as sitting tight, anyone can go out of business in the current climate and you probably won't even be classed as a creditor.
Old May 10, 20, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
But having one less thing to worry about would be good.

I can easily imagine a scenario in which some airlines - even BA - fall into bankruptcy while the rest of the world carries on regardless.
Old May 10, 20, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
My Alitalia miles are still there, after the airline was nationalised. So I don't think there's a reason to worry about Avios.
let_BAegones_be likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
I certainly wouldn’t book flights that I would not otherwise have wanted to take. The wine is quite poor value, so I would sit tight for a while. Things may deteriorate but I don’t see any urgency to dump Avios.
Old May 10, 20, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
But having one less thing to worry about would be good.

I can easily imagine a scenario in which some airlines - even BA - fall into bankruptcy while the rest of the world carries on regardless.
You have a much wilder imagination than me.
Old May 10, 20, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
I'm actually looking to double down and buy more with the 75% offer. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a life changing loss even if everything else goes belly up. There's nothing you can do with them that isn't just as risky as sitting tight, anyone can go out of business in the current climate and you probably won't even be classed as a creditor.
Interesting position. I can't imagine swapping cash for Avios at present given the level of uncertainty.
Old May 10, 20, 5:42 am

Transfer them to me I'll put up with the worry about them being devalued 😂
Old May 10, 20, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold,
I tend to the view that if we get to the stage that BA goes down and all my Avios are wiped out I may be too busy worrying about how I'm going to pay for food to care much.
tbm13, RafKa, HarbourGent and 5 others like this.
Old May 10, 20, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Its the devaluation possibility that concerns me for my miserable 160k of Avios.

It might be best to use them now and book flights, but that means getting in the hole with BA for another 500 to 600 for the cash element...

Difficult to know really...but I think that J and F travel aren't going to be the same after this anyway...with reduced service levels, but higher prices, to reflect people's desire for extra space in the cabin and the reduced chance of virus transmission.

Scoffing your F class taster menu through a cotton mask isn't going to be quite as fun...

Chris
Old May 10, 20, 5:57 am

But seriously if anyone is that worried start planning next year's trips? Flights out up to end of April now start planning. Some people might be out off buying cash tickets at moment because of the corona situation but given the flexibility of Avios tickets anyway and the biggest loss being 35 per ticket id be planning
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 6:01 am

Same boat, over 1 Million Avios and a 2 for 1 voucher, I did get a bit worried at first but as others have said if things get that bad BA disappear the Avios will be of no concern as traveling will be bottom of the pile. I decided to just carry on collecting Avios via the Amex BA card and Avios eStore as normal so if a devaluation of Avios happens, which it hopefully won't, but if it does I have even more to counteract the increase required to redeem.

I do have points in other schemes like the Tesco Clubcard, Natwest Reward and Amex Rewards which I would normally convert to Avios, but for the time being I will keep them there and not convert to Avios until I feel more secure with BA's future. I've written off traveling for 2020 or at absolute best maybe a Christmas getaway if things improve fast enough. So for me it's a case of keep collecting and hope to redeem next year.
Old May 10, 20, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
What to do with one million avios ......

I’d save them for a rainy day.

Oh ....... wait a minute ...........
Qatar Airways and hotel_user like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: