Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to service standards etc after resumption of flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to service standards etc after resumption of flights

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 1:45 pm

For CE flights booked in good faith before coronavirus if there is no lounge or catering do you think there will be any Avios compensation?
Old May 10, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
You are not correct. Please rise.

Air circulation in aircraft cabins is mostly vertical, with air introduced near the ceiling and removed (or ducted into the hold and then fed to the recirculation fan and filter or to the outflow valve) near floor level. This is, not least, so that smoke generated by any fire at one part of the cabin does not immediately fill the entire cabin.

First Class Flatulence remains in First Class. The main exception to airflow compartmentalisation is the cockpit, which has a slight overpressure so that cabin smoke will not easily enter the cockpit. This will send some air from the cockpit towards the front of the cabin, which means that if the cabin crew are smoking then you may well smell it in row 1.

For example, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143711/ for an explanation (in the context of tuberculosis transmission).
This has just reminded me of being in row 1 of a Vietnam airlines ATR 72, in about 2014, and mid fight being aware of strong cigarette smoke. It took me a few moments to realised that the pilots had lit up mid cruise!
Old May 10, 2020, 2:48 pm

I agree with with a fair few of the previous posts. For me, I always try and start the holiday with the journey and I’m lucky that my work travel helps make that easier with lounges and avios etc.. In the post Corona world, if some airlines choose to offer an onboard experience and others don’t at a similar price, then for me I’d be likely to break my BA allegiance. For work travel, I currently try and use one world where possible to make my leisure trips better, but if this is gone (and price is much less of an issue with work flights) then I will just choose the airline that offers the route I want with the best onboard service. I therefore hope this isn’t as clear cut for BA as some are making out up thread and they endeavour to offer something decent (even if it’s gin in a tin from their mates at marks and Spencer to start with).
Old May 10, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by ENTP
Spot on. BA won't be getting a penny out of me for leisure or business travel until a full-ish service resumes - I will choose another carrier
QR appear to be serving food don’t they?
Old May 10, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by paulaf
For CE flights booked in good faith before coronavirus if there is no lounge or catering do you think there will be any Avios compensation?
To be pedantic, there is catering. Biscuits or pretzels depending the length of your journey. You will get both if you fly Band 3 or 4.
Some people managed to get a few avios but some others got nothing even in F. As far as i remember 1 person was offered 500 avios for being a loyal customer. Imagine if he was not!
Try your luck and let us know.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Will100
According to QR forum yes. You get the full service with QR including alcohol. LH group still offers proper J service ( slightly reduced?) but i am not sure about alcohol.

There is seems to be different interpretation when it comes to health and safety rules.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Speedbird989
Transition of all long-haul catering ex-LHR to Do&Co completes on Tuesday, so any restarts will move to the new catering.

Some interesting proposals for the customer proposition floating around currently, with the awareness that people will need to have a reason to travel BA. Watch this space over the next few weeks.
Sounds encouraging, Speedbird989
Old May 10, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird989
Transition of all long-haul catering ex-LHR to Do&Co completes on Tuesday, so any restarts will move to the new catering.

Some interesting proposals for the customer proposition floating around currently, with the awareness that people will need to have a reason to travel BA. Watch this space over the next few weeks.
No.....
I would miss the Gategourmet Mac&Cheese served on WT.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by the810
But at the same time, airlines will be losing those few people who would be willing to fly and pour their money into the travel industry, because they will make the experience miserable to the point, where staying at your own balcony becomes a more sensible choice.
That will be me, too. I'd rather drive in Europe than suffer on a plane with some ridiculous restrictions and pay as much as before for no service.
JimEddie, the810 and paulaf like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: Confirmed
There has been no confirmed case of anyone actually infected onboard. There is a filter and that seems working.

Why do people assume this onboard distancing is so needed and overemphasise it? If lounges / restaurants reopens, it’s only safer onboard because it is better ventilated onboard.
the810 and stampcollector like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Will100
Exactly ... I wonder why that is!
Old May 11, 2020, 2:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
So let’s say until Feb 2021, there is no F&B on flights under 2 hours. I think that’s a reasonable time for people to go without being offered food.
Ah, the US model.

Wait a second... my crystal ball is calling me...

BA email dated 15/01/2021. "Based on customer feedback, we we will be making the temporary changes to F&B a permanent feature on flights under 2 hours. Customers have told us that they prefer the quiet cabin and easier access to the washrooms."
the810, subject2load, ENTP and 3 others like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This idea of 2 hours is long enough without food is not quite that simple. A 2 hour flight has an hour or so of security, walking around the airport, boarding, messing around with baggage, etc, before departure. On arrival it has half an hour (good day/airport) or an hour (bad day/airport) to get off the aircraft and through arrivals checks. Add more time for bad immigration/emigration. So that's thick end of 4 hours, at least, travelling time. If your departure or arrival airport hasn't got any good catering (or any at all!), and this is over a mealtime, you could well be talking delaying a meal by 4 hours or more.

This all sounds fine if you're leaving a well-equipped airport and get food just before you leave, or travel mid-afternoon, or have no onward transit from your destination. It doesn't sound so fine if it's the 17:00 departure from a smaller regional airport with negligible food offerings on a 2 hour flight back to Heathrow with an hour journey home when you get landside at Heathrow. I'd want some food in the middle of that and I think most other people would like that too - even if it is BoB.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
................ I'd want some food in the middle of that and I think most other people would like that too - even if it is BoB.
Can certainly see your point as regards the potential elapsed time between meals even when the actual flight is a very short one ...... and hence an expectation / need of some sort of sustenance.

But I don’t see the restoration of BoB as the most likely solution ; with the amount of interactivity required between crew / pax (handling of various items on the trolley .... touching of plastic payment cards ...), I’m inclined to doubt BoB is ready to make a comeback any time soon.
psollitt likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I was out yesterday for Mother's Day brunch with the wife and our daughter - first time we'd been out as a family since quarantine started here, and first time to a restaurant in 50+ days. Nevada eased its restrictions this weekend so quite a few places opened up again.

The restaurant we went to had probably 30 - 40 % of its usual seating and the staff to customer ratio was probably close to 1:1 so service (and food) was very good. Staff were all wearing masks - which made understanding them quite difficult at times - and gloves. Apart from the reduction in customer numbers and the PPE being worn by the staff I didn't feel that there was any difference in my dining experience. Cutlery, crockery, drinkware was all the same as before. There was no contactless ordering or payment. You still had staff bustling around and walking past you serving other customers, bussing tables, topping up my Sangria etc. That said, I didn't feel any trepidation in eating out. I certainly didn't rush home afterwards for a full body decontamination!

From an airline perspective, people will want to travel again irrespective of the reason why. I have flights / trains booked for later this month and again for July. I had hoped to make it back to the UK in August to see my parents but, given the way the UK is heading, I doubt that will be happening any time soon. People cannot live in a (metaphorical) vacuum or bubble forever. People want to travel for travel's sake as much as they need to travel for work etc. I accept that there may need to be adjustments as a result. For example, my upcoming flights on Alaska have the middle seat blocked. That's all well and good from the perspective of a single traveller, but it's pointless when we're flying as a family unit. It's like my local supermarket telling me that I am not allowed to enter or leave the store at the same time as my wife even though once we're in the supermarket we'll be shopping together or, when we get home, we'll be in bed together! It was a stupid rule that was implemented and enforced without any thought to the practicalities.

I really don't see any logical reason why any airline cannot continue to provide a reasonable level of service in spite of COVID-19. If it means having it on a tray instead of individual courses, I don't see an issue with that. Maybe more in the way of self-service from an improved "Club Kitchen" or self-serve drinks etc. I think you can reduce the amount of staff to passenger interaction but still maintain a level of service that entices people to fly. I want to be able to fly again, and to enjoy the experience. The two are not mutually exclusive ambitions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.