Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Flights to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

BA Flights to Argentina

Argentina is not accepting external flights until at least 1st September. Indeed, no internal flights are taking place either.
I have a flight booked from LHR to EZE on 7/7, returning 24/8. It still shows as going in MMB. At what point are BA likely to cancel the flight?
I asked BA on Twitter and was told just to wait, seemingly indefinitely. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Welcome to FT!
Most likely is about 3 weeks before, but it could easily be any time up to 14 days before. Most unlikely to be less than 14 days, as then you would be entitled to compensation (not just a refund).

EDIT: just noticed that you've been on FT for some time, but this is a first post.
ens100 and Kevin Armstrong like this.

Last edited by fruitcage; May 9, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old May 9, 2020, 11:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Kevin Armstrong
I asked BA on Twitter and was told just to wait, seemingly indefinitely. Thanks.
You're going to have to wait a bit longer for the July flight to be considered and most likely cancelled but it's certainly not indefinite. If your August return flight is part of the same booking then at least you won't need to wait for that to be cancelled to in order to request a refund. There really is nothing motivating BA to cancel flights further out at the moment and the situation may change as Governments look to adjust their strategies.
Kevin Armstrong likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
For context I had flights for next month cancelled a couple of days ago so based on that and what BA did last month it will be around 3/4 weeks until the July schedule starts to get firmed up and you may get a cancel notice.
Kevin Armstrong likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Argentina is not accepting external flights until at least 1st September. Indeed, no internal flights are taking place either.
I have a flight booked from LHR to EZE on 7/7, returning 24/8. It still shows as going in MMB. At what point are BA likely to cancel the flight?
Have a booking from EZE / Buenos Aires to LHR with BA in early June.

No cancellation as yet.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Welcome to FT!
Most likely is about 3 weeks before, but it could easily be any time up to 14 days before. Most unlikely to be less than 14 days, as then you would be entitled to compensation (not just a refund).

EDIT: just noticed that you've been on FT for some time, but this is a first post.
would be a covid cancellation so no compensation would be due no matter what timescale it's cancelled
fruitcage likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
These have been removed from sale so I imagine it's just a case of waiting for BA to work through their list of cancellations and send out the emails. Expect something in about 2-3 weeks
Old May 9, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Hawk777
would be a covid cancellation so no compensation would be due no matter what timescale it's cancelled
Not necessarily true. The article says that "An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken".

At this point in time I'd say that airlines have had enough time to reasonably program their schedules with at least 14 days notice.
​​​​
IAN-UK likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mario
Not necessarily true. The article says that "An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken".

At this point in time I'd say that airlines have had enough time to reasonably program their schedules with at least 14 days notice.
​​​​
Argentina would not allow international passenger flights until the end of September so it's an extraordinary situation out of the airlines' control.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Argentina would not allow international passenger flights until the end of September so it's an extraordinary situation out of the airlines' control.
But I think compensation could only become due if the cancellation were within two weeks of the date of the flight.

Given that it's pretty clear now that the flight will not take place, and that clarity will increase as flight date approaches, the airline might find it difficult to claim it should not compensate passengers if it waits until the final days before the flight to cancel it.

I imagine formal cancellation will take place when BA is satisfied that Argentina's position is not going to change to make the flight possible
Old May 9, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But I think compensation could only become due if the cancellation were within two weeks of the date of the flight.
Indeed, you are right on this. No compensation if the passenger is informed at least 15 days before the flight.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Given that it's pretty clear now that the flight will not take place, and that clarity will increase as flight date approaches, the airline might find it difficult to claim it should not compensate passengers if it waits until the final days before the flight to cancel it.

I imagine formal cancellation will take place when BA is satisfied that Argentina's position is not going to change to make the flight possible
BA might have a strategic approach, if they cancel all Argentina flights until 30 September at once, it would mean that they would need to refund all passengers who want right now within 7 days. If they wait until 15-21 days before the flight, for the peace of comfort, there would be people who wish to take a FTV and they would delay the refund payments.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Cash flow.

Rolling cancellations, not to overload the refund process, and minimize the coffer depletion factor.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Indeed, you are right on this. No compensation if the passenger is informed at least 15 days before the flight.

BA might have a strategic approach, if they cancel all Argentina flights until 30 September at once, it would mean that they would need to refund all passengers who want right now within 7 days. If they wait until 15-21 days before the flight, for the peace of comfort, there would be people who wish to take a FTV and they would delay the refund payments.

I'm in the same Argentina boat, but with Lufthansa and the end August. So i am following the situation keenly!
No cancelation so far, although all fare classes are zeroed and the FRA EZE is not for sale until 01 September.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm not a regular flyer, hence the first time post after just watching for general info re Covid.
I hadn't considered compensation, I'm just wanting to get an idea of how the cancellations work. Plenty of replies on here so really pleased with the info given.I'll just wait for their email and then try for a refund, as it's not possible to reschedule.
golfmad likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by tjcxx
Cash flow.

Rolling cancellations, not to overload the refund process, and minimize the coffer depletion factor.
Seems to be the new industry standard. I had a flight on LX for end of May. At first the flights showed up as normal, then they were zeroed out, then about 3-4 weeks out they disappeared from the schedule, then 14 days plus a few hours before I received the cancellation email.

Looks like preserving cash flow while minimising chances for compensation claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.