Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Flights to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Given that it's pretty clear now that the flight will not take place, and that clarity will increase as flight date approaches, the airline might find it difficult to claim it should not compensate passengers if it waits until the final days before the flight to cancel it.
Regardless of when the airline chooses to notify of the cancellation, whether it is a situation outside of the airlines's control will not change
Old May 10, 2020, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kevin Armstrong
Thanks for the info. I'm not a regular flyer, hence the first time post after just watching for general info re Covid.
I hadn't considered compensation, I'm just wanting to get an idea of how the cancellations work. Plenty of replies on here so really pleased with the info given.I'll just wait for their email and then try for a refund, as it's not possible to reschedule.
You won’t get compensation, at least not from BA. You may get a refund or a voucher, though. Expect this to be cancelled in mid-June.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the info. I'm not a regular flyer, hence the first time post after just watching for general info re Covid.
I hadn't considered compensation, I'm just wanting to get an idea of how the cancellations work. Plenty of replies on here so really pleased with the info given.I'll just wait for their email and then try for a refund, as it's not possible to reschedule.
You absolutely did the correct thing of asking on here first rather than taking action and compromising yourself. This forum is invaluable to get real life info. There are a couple of stories of users who acted a bit too soon and are now not happy with the outcome.

As annoying as it is, just sit tight and wait for the cancellation to come through. Once this does happen, if the system will still be as it is, be aware that BA will push you towards a future travel voucher on the website. If you would rather have your cash back, try the workarounds listed in the wiki here or just give BA a call and get the refund done via customer services.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think that workaround has been disabled.
ens100 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Regardless of when the airline chooses to notify of the cancellation, whether it is a situation outside of the airlines's control will not change
Perhaps my post lacked clarity.

EC regulations mandate compensation for passengers ONLY where cancellations take place within two weeks of the flight date, with the caveat:
An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
If in May the carrier is aware that a flight is not going to operate in August, but formally cancels the service only in the two weeks before the scheduled departure date, then clearly it has not taken all reasonable measures to mitigate the impact of the cancellation on its customers.

A court might decide that the "COVID as an extraordinary circumstance" kicks in only where a cancellation is forced upon the carrier in the crucial two-weeks immediately before the flight is scheduled to take place.

Outside that crucial two week period compensation would not be an issue.

Thus I would expect carriers to communicate cancellation to ticket-holders outside the two-week period if they possibly can.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is anyone going to claim then? It is clear BA would refuse any request and you would have to be prepared to take some court action probably through multiple levels. Otherwise it is just academic from those who think compensation should be due.

Last edited by KARFA; May 10, 2020 at 5:10 am Reason: change in wording of last sentence
Old May 10, 2020, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by KARFA
Is anyone going to claim then? It is clear BA would refuse any request and you would have to be prepared to take some court action probably through multiple levels. Otherwise it is just academic from those who think compensation should be due.
Academic or not, the argument was developed to address the question of when carriers might reveal that flights are cancelled in a situation where they have been notified some months in advance that the service will not be permitted to operate.

It is most unlikey that this will happen in the two weeks before scheduled departure.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
some people are making claims which I find incredible in the last week or so I've spoken to a few people who have demanded compensation and also a friend who works in another department has told me some eu261 claims have already come in for not giving 14 days notice
KARFA likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Were you planning on using an internal flight once there? I have Aeroparque to Tucuman booked but it won't go ( not cancelled yet ) and though my wife is Argentinian, I'm not looking forward to dealing with Aerolineas and its refund operation.

Edit: This was a response specifically to Bar Operator's earlier comment. Apologies for cluttering up the thread!

Last edited by Kevin Armstrong; May 10, 2020 at 7:38 am Reason: Was intended as a response to a specific poster and not general.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Exec
Were you planning on using an internal flight once there? I have Aeroparque to Tucuman booked but it won't go ( not cancelled yet ) and though my wife is Argentinian, I'm not looking forward to dealing with Aerolineas and its refund operation.

Edit: This was a response specifically to Bar Operator's earlier comment. Apologies for cluttering up the thread!
No internal flights planned, although I have family members who are currently negotiating with Aerolineas for a refund due to cancelled internal flights.

It is proving a challenge, to put it mildly. Vouchers have been offered in lieu of refunds, which must be used before November 2020...given current restrictions in place banning commercial flights in Argentina until September, that offer doesn’t appear to be particularly generous.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Update

Received cancellation notice this morning. Phoned BA at 2pm, 30 seconds to get through! 2 minutes to supply booking details, refund would take about 4 weeks. Operator said details would be passed to Refund Section and all would be done in about 4 weeks. Is that the correct process? I wanted to ask about whether both outward and inward journeys would be cancelled ( I think an earlier answer indicated yes ). From the way she spoke, I was assuming she was about to transfer me to that section but then it was a swift and pleasant goodbye!
Not being at all familiar with BA cancellations, I'm just a tad nervous that I've missed something glaringly obvious!
Old May 20, 2020, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Received cancellation notice this morning. Phoned BA at 2pm, 30 seconds to get through! 2 minutes to supply booking details, refund would take about 4 weeks. Operator said details would be passed to Refund Section and all would be done in about 4 weeks. Is that the correct process? I wanted to ask about whether both outward and inward journeys would be cancelled ( I think an earlier answer indicated yes ). From the way she spoke, I was assuming she was about to transfer me to that section but then it was a swift and pleasant goodbye!
Not being at all familiar with BA cancellations, I'm just a tad nervous that I've missed something glaringly obvious!
No, it sounds about right to me. It only takes 4 weeks if the booking has complexities, it can be less time if it's a more straightforward booking. By all means reach out on the main Rebooking thread (available via the BA Forum Covid-19 dashboard) if you have not seen the money after 2 weeks or so.

For anyone else going to Argentina seeing cancellation emails,, in addition to the full refund you can instead be rebooked free of charge up to one year after you originally booked, or accept a FTV for travel to April 2022. FTVs only make sense if you have an expiring companion voucher you want to use or something similar.
Kevin Armstrong likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For anyone else going to Argentina seeing cancellation emails,, in addition to the full refund you can instead be rebooked free of charge up to one year after you originally booked, or accept a FTV for travel to April 2022. FTVs only make sense if you have an expiring companion voucher you want to use or something similar.
I missed when this changed? I had a booking in April that I was quoted about £1.5k per head when I asked to rebook to later in the year so I refunded instead...
Old May 20, 2020, 8:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I missed when this changed? I had a booking in April that I was quoted about £1.5k per head when I asked to rebook to later in the year so I refunded instead...
they changed the guidelines about two weeks ago for BA cancellations.

Previously for a cancelled flight you could move -3/+14 days and didn't need same selling class, but if you wanted to move beyond that range you paid any fare difference if the same selling class was not available.

Now they have removed the -3/+14 day restriction, so if your flight is cancelled you can change to the same route for any date up to a year from when you ticket was originally booked and you just need any space in the same cabin, you do not need same selling class availability. So if you do want to change any cancelled ones to later this year you should be able to do so without any fare difference.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
I've got a trip booked landing at EZE on 15th December.

BA flights from LHR to Buenos Aires have been running for some time now, however the Argentinian border remains closed for foreign nationals (unless you have family there or from a nearby country Brazil etc.).

Keep reading conflicting reports about borders opening to foreign tourists on 15th December (with a test on arrival), now some say 20th December.

The BA flights have been going to EZE for some time now so it won't be cancelled, until something concrete is written on the Gov website not sure we have any choice but to cancel and take the hit or try and move the dates. Not sure if a voucher is available if the flight is still going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.