CityFlyer back in the skies?

Old May 7, 20, 8:59 am
zsc
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver (upto 2017) / BA Silver (2018 onwards)
CityFlyer back in the skies?

Thought I was hearing things until I realised it was an actual plane I heard taking off from LCY! Turns out though that it was merely doing what seems to be actual takeoffs/landings which I assume is to maintain pilot certifications?

Old May 7, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
There have been a couple of movements today, one bird coming back from NWI, and one going further. In fact G-LCYO is on its way back from WAW right now. Maybe a good sign, or as you say, just a way to keep pilots ratings...
Old May 7, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Seems like it would be cheaper to use the sim to keep pilots current.
Old May 7, 20, 11:12 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Does not City need specific qualification / maintenance for the steep approach etc?
skipness1E likes this.
Old May 7, 20, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
Does not City need specific qualification / maintenance for the steep approach etc?
Yes it does.
Old May 7, 20, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There is also the question of regular exercise for the aircraft if any are kept in a "ready to go" condition rather than a "long term stored" condition. It can be more efficient to have a crew fly the aircraft for them both to remain current.
Old May 7, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue
When this all started, BACF sent most of their fleet to Norwich/Southend for storage, however they kept 4 at LCY. These were then surrounded by big grey blocks, so to remain untouched.

My only thinking is that now the NHS won’t need the Nightingale and are closing it, LCY will also definitely not be needed for medical flights. Therefore, they have probably told BA they can return some aircraft there for parking. Also, the aircraft doing circuits today were G-LCYK/N/X, which were frames locked in by the blocks. So I imagine everything has been cleared and the airport is free to park/store planes on stand again.

Last edited by BAeuro; May 7, 20 at 6:18 pm
Old May 7, 20, 11:16 pm

"So I imagine everything has been cleared and the airport is free to park/store planes on stand again"
Not quite. Work was underway yesterday to remove the temporary barriers and hoardings, but that work certainly isn't complete yet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: