Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fire Suppression System Deployment Incident LHR BA Hangar

Old May 3, 20, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Just saw on Aeronews:

Todayís incident from Heathrow airport: A fire suppression system apparently malfunctioned at TBJ or Tech 6, in the hanger where a Boeing 777Ė200ER (G-YMMB) was parked.
Old May 3, 20, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Pictures from Aeronews
AlanA, Stez, WHITMIMI and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 20, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Itís quite ironic that this is the 3rd incident with a BA aircraft in a matter of weeks, and they are barely flying
Old May 3, 20, 7:22 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Fire Suppression System Malfunctioning at BA Hangar at LHR

The video below is from the BA hangar in LHR. Unfortunately, the fire suppression system in the hangar malfunctioned and G-YMMB was there.

In case the video does not pop-up
https://www.facebook.com/AeronewsGlo...3416027018542/
Old May 3, 20, 10:26 pm

How was that a "malfunction"? To me, it seems it functioned correctly, by covering everything with foam. Was someone smoking in the hangar?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old May 3, 20, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit View Post
How was that a "malfunction"? To me, it seems it functioned correctly, by covering everything with foam. Was someone smoking in the hangar?
Obviously we don't know what the trigger was in this case, but I'd argue in general that if something does its job properly when it's not supposed to, that would indeed be a malfunction.

Impressive pictures though! Interesting that the fuselage looks almost perfectly clean (apart from the jet-bridge outline).
Old May 3, 20, 11:21 pm

Programs: QF WP
If itís anything like the fire suppression system in my office it just goes off by itself anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

(I tell myself itís triggered by the steam coming out of my ears from having to deal with ....wits)
flygirl68, wrp96, golfmad and 5 others like this.
Old May 3, 20, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
That is quite impressive, I am guessing it does not take to long to shut off, so I suppose it must have done all that in a very short period of time
AAtticus likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 12:51 am

I didn't appreciate how much foam has been discharged until I zoomed in on the second photo. It seems to be as deep as the wheels on the parked transit van!
Old May 4, 20, 2:10 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
How is that stuff cleaned up? Washed away with water - or like alot of foam based fluids does it slowly just disintegrate?
Old May 4, 20, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
How is that stuff cleaned up? Washed away with water - or like alot of foam based fluids does it slowly just disintegrate?
also is it PFAS/PFOS based and likely to result in a class action down the track, or is that strictly an Australian thing?
Old May 4, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Years ago I used to work in tbj and tbk and the link. Where's tech 6? I never heard anyone mention tech 6 in relation to tbj or tbk back then.

Great pic ! It's lots of foam. Glad to see it works well!
Old May 4, 20, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
also is it PFAS/PFOS based and likely to result in a class action down the track, or is that strictly an Australian thing?
No, we had PFOS issues here in Jersey, caused by run-off from the Airport's Fire Service training area. Polluted the ground-water, in an area where many houses rely of wells. Our BiL's house was right in the middle of the 'plume' area.

https://www.jerseyairport.com/PFOS/P...ackground.aspx
Old May 4, 20, 3:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Depends if that foam has fluorinated surfactants in it. If it has then it will need to be scooped up and incinerated, the burnt residue is tiny. If it hasn't got fluorine or other nasties in it then the slow discharge into the public sewerage system may be allowed, but it needs to be done to prevent polluting open waterways and closed courses. There will be a well managed drill for this at Heathrow I'm sure, due to the use of foam in training exercises.
BOH likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 3:17 am

Could be a VERY expensive mistake!

After a hangar fire at my airfield, the loss adjuster was telling me about an incident where the foam had gone off accidentally. All the parties involved took so long to discuss what should be done etc that the aircraft was scrapped. Apparently the foam rotted lots of seals - windows, engines, gear etc - and made it beyond economic repair. If I recall correctly, he seemed to think you had as little as 24 hrs to clean the aircraft?

Hopefully, with lockdown, something like that doesn't happen here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: