Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fire Suppression System Deployment Incident LHR BA Hangar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire Suppression System Deployment Incident LHR BA Hangar

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Are we sure this wasn't an engineer looking to make sourdough starter that got a bit out of control ?
toothy and nancypants like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Really interesting to see. Does anyone familiar with the system have any more insight? How is the foam discharged? Is it likely to have been dangerous for staff on the ground?
Old May 4, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Not too bad for a relatively 'tall' aircraft which you enter via a door - not so good if you have to get in through the window:

Old May 4, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends if that foam has fluorinated surfactants in it. If it has then it will need to be scooped up and incinerated,the burnt residue is tiny. If it hasn't got fluorine or other nasties in it then the slow discharge into the public sewerage system may be allowed, but it needs to be done to prevent polluting open waterways and closed courses. There will be a well managed drill for this at Heathrow I'm sure, due to the use of foam in training exercises.
Bit ironic, given that is supposed to suppress fires . Good insights though CWS..
Old May 4, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
How was that a "malfunction"? To me, it seems it functioned correctly, by covering everything with foam. Was someone smoking in the hangar?
We had an accidental discharge at work and the root cause was a faulty microswitch in the emergency release button. Nearby work caused vibration which caused a short, that definitely counts as a malfunction, as would any sensor that incorrectly detected a fire/smoke.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
The day mass redundancies are announced - a coincidence, I am sure!
Old May 4, 2020, 1:56 pm

According to Twitter, the APU did it. Nozzles appeared to be pointed towards the floor, rather than the ceiling, luckily.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
G-YMMB is being towed over to T5B tonight so mustn’t have suffered any damage.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Tottie66
According to Twitter, the APU did it. Nozzles appeared to be pointed towards the floor, rather than the ceiling, luckily.
Hi Tottie, do you have any more info about the system? So is the entire hangar rigged with a system that will douse the space in foam? Do all the maintenance hangars have this. Is there not a chance to cancel the alarm once it is triggered, before the suppressant is released?

I never knew hangars had this so it's interesting!
Old May 4, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
This isn't an isolated incident as Delta had a similar incident at the end of March!
https://simpleflying.com/delta-lax-h...oam-discharge/

Edit: it was also reported on the Delta board here:
Delta LAX Hangar Accidental Foam Discharge
Old May 4, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Hi Tottie, do you have any more info about the system? So is the entire hangar rigged with a system that will douse the space in foam? Do all the maintenance hangars have this. Is there not a chance to cancel the alarm once it is triggered, before the suppressant is released?

One possible explanation is, if a single heat or smoke detector is activated, an intermediate alarm may sound for a period time to allow the cause to be investigated and, if necessary, reset. However, if more than one detector is activated, the system would interpret that as the fire spreading. In that situation it’s straight to ‘sprinklers on’ with no opportunity to reset.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by TedToToe
If a single heat or smoke detector is activated, an intermediate alarm may sound for a period time to allow the cause to be investigated and, if necessary, reset.
At that point a message would sound on the loudspeakers: ‘would inspector Sands come to the control room immediately’.
BOH, wrp96 and Tottie66 like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
This isn't an isolated incident as Delta had a similar incident at the end of March!
https://simpleflying.com/delta-lax-h...oam-discharge/

Edit: it was also reported on the Delta board here:
Delta LAX Hangar Accidental Foam Discharge
Interesting the number of posts on the Delta forum (6) compared to here. We are a chatty lot on the BAEC board.
BOH and TedToToe like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:25 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
At that point a message would sound on the loudspeakers: ‘would inspector Sands come to the control room immediately’.
Ah yes, good old Inspector Sands!

He has been around for a few years and have heard him paged a few times now whilst traveling in London. Have told a few family members and work colleagues about this and twice now on hearing it I have edged my way towards an exit in order to be the first out. The first time I heard it the place was evacuated so was one of the first out, the second time it was stood down.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by noFODplease

Yes, all hangars have this sort of stuff. In Madrid's La Muñoza, where the hangar is basically one enormous cavernous hall where you can fit 2 340s and still have space, they have some massive cannons... quite impressive to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.