Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will reward flight availability and the value of Avios decrease?

Old May 1, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Given that airlines may have to look at social distancing on board and the impact on loading, are there any views on whether we will see Avios seats becoming more expensive and also a reduction in the availability of reward flights?

I have AMEX Rewards points and my Platinum card is due for renewal in June. Given the cost of the card, and the limited access to the card's benefits for the foreseeable future, I am thinking of not renewing and subscribing again once life gets back to some normality. I had initially planned to transfer my points to Avios but given the uncertainty for airlines going forward am not sure this is a good idea and may use against their 0.9 cash for reward points offer...
Old May 1, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Simple answer, who knows.

I have a small-ish 100k Avios currently. Might be an idea to lock something long in (eg 11 months from now). At least then you have a confirmed ticket that would likely be honoured if you are worried.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:53 am
dnw

Just get the fee free rewards credit card and then you can keep your MR account alive and make a decision later.
mikeyfly and Fly2Connect like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Just book and then it is not an issue.

I just booked Sydney return next March.

There is loads of availability to most places except the Caribbean in November ! But I already booked that. Just need the flights to run
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:57 am
Original Poster

A view from Head for Points "You can buy Avios for 1p various times per year, either during a BA promo or one of the Iberia Groupon promos.
You therefore aren't losing much by cashing in now for 0.9p in . If you decided later to top up your Avios, you can buy points via a 1p promotion and you're roughly in the same position, without taking the risk that you may, today, end up with Avios you can't use."

This seems the most sensible option??
Old May 1, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Just book and then it is not an issue.

I just booked Sydney return next March.

There is loads of availability to most places except the Caribbean in November ! But I already booked that. Just need the flights to run
Just wish I had the 250k plus a 241 to do the same!
Old May 2, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Yeah harder to find a productive use for 100k with decent value - generally the odd upgrade where available has been my approach but with no flying scheduled...
Old May 2, 2020, 1:59 am

0.9p is OK for an Amex MR. But used well Avios may provide better value. So much depends on how many you have, how much you fly, do you have a partner and get value from a 241 voucher. I'd say the short answer is 0.9 is OK and if you have concerns then burn them on payment for this value. At 585/year the Plat is not cheap, and the value of it is almost entirely tied up in travel, I downgraded mine to the 60 green card, in the hope of getting the 20K offer to upgrade once travel is on again.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:26 am
Original Poster

I have ~ 600k Avios and we use the 241 every year. No problem collecting Avios but given the uncertainty of the industry I am happy with the 0.9p...

I did not know that you received offers to upgrade, is there a reason why you went for the green card and not basic card (free). Does anyone have the basic card and do you get upgrade offers with this one??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.