Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TXL to close temporarily from 15 June [apparently now remaining open till Nov '20]

TXL to close temporarily from 15 June [apparently now remaining open till Nov '20]

Old May 2, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
Has anything changed since I was last in Berlin? I was due to go in May but that won't be happening. Obviously the BA flights are non-schengen but they arrived in the A terminal and it was still a pleasure from landing to the taxi.

It's not the best airport to wait hours in but like LCY you don't need to get there too early.

I can imagine it's hell if you're not on a stand in A but I can see a future for a scaled back TXL with higher airport charges that'll serve shorthaul flights from passengers who appreciate the convenience of the location, a bit like LCY.
All civilian/commercial flights (of which there are not many at the moment) are currently operating out of Terminal C at Tegel.

So unlike Terminal A which is shut, no gate-only operations like immigration, luggage belts, check-in security etc.. This is all centralised in Terminal C.

As mentioned on another thread civilian operations will likely move to SXF soon - their set-up is also everything centralised rather than gate-governed.
irishguy28 and Nephoi like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Nephoi
why you doubt that?

txl had a little over 20 million pax last year.
sxf 12 million
---
32 million pax.

if your running at 40% - and thats optimistic - sxf should handle 12.8 million pax p.a.
Why do I doubt that?

If Lufthansa are prepared to go to court to keep TXL open at the moment then I think there must be significant reasons for that during the summer. I'm sure they know more than anyone here about projected traffic levels.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Why do I doubt that?

If Lufthansa are prepared to go to court to keep TXL open at the moment then I think there must be significant reasons for that during the summer. I'm sure they know more than anyone here about projected traffic levels.
i agree with you that Lufhansa MAY (or may not) know more that we both do. but we all dont know the reason why Lufthansa is preparing to go to court. as you said there "must be significant reasons". but this could mean ANYTHING, not just PAX numbers.

as a "data point": „In Tegel werden zurzeit an einem Tag weniger als eintausend Passagiere abgefertigt“, sagte er. „Auf den Anzeigetafeln können wir derzeit die Flüge für drei Tage im Voraus anzeigen, früher war dort Platz für eine Stunde.“https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/t.../25754174.html "in TXL there are 1000 pax per day. he (Lütke Daldrup, airport chief) told. on the display we can list flights for three days now.."

i dont see any reason not to close one of the two airports for 2 or 3 months. if you do, tell me.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This makes sense, a mate who is a LH pilot told me that they are going to court to stop the closure of TXL! It's obviously to stop it in June rather than what I assumed was for later in the year which I found odd since LH have just told me a flight I'm booked on with them will now route FRA-BER rather than FRA-TXL.

I doubt even in lockdown mode there is capacity at SXF to handle the traffic over the summer.
What argument would LH bring to the court?
Nephoi likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What argument would LH bring to the court?
I think you would be better asking them that rather than me.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:57 am
Original Poster

you broght the argument...
Old May 3, 2020, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you ask your mate the pilot? In the longer run, LH is moving to BER. Keeping two stations open doesn’t sound sensible to me.
irishguy28 and Nephoi like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:35 am

The lounge refresh at TXL went well then didn’t it? Presumably BA will take the newer chairs with them.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by slicktony
The lounge refresh at TXL went well then didn’t it? Presumably BA will take the newer chairs with them.
Straight back onto eBay is my guess
Old May 3, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
With Germany already relaxing Lockdown rules and German domestic flights largely monpolised by Lufthansa Group at some of the highest margins in the industry, I am not sure that SXF capacity alone will be sufficient. Also, BER will almost certainly be more expensive to operate from than TXL and I’m sure LH would love to keep that pricing as long as possible.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
BER has ‘been opening’ for years.

I’ll believe it when I see it !
It has actually been certified this time.

It will happen.

And given the great reduction in traffic, it's probably the best conditions to open a new airport. They have already planned to move airlines gradually, rather than all in one big bang as was the original plan from 2012. And given that TXL is likely to be closed to civilian traffic from June onwards, there is even a possibility that some airlines may begin operations from BER rather than the adjacent SXF ahead of the currently-planned opening dates.
wrp96 and Nephoi like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
I think that TXL is very popular here and that it will be much missed. An airport by the way is somewhere to catch a means of transport, it should not be primarily a shopping and dining experience. If other airports retained that as the major reason for being they'd all be a much better experience.
I couldn't agree more! I had several trips planned during this spring and summer, and I am more than a little disappointed that I will now never again see TXL as a working airport
dougzz and Nephoi like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
With Germany already relaxing Lockdown rules and German domestic flights largely monpolised by Lufthansa Group at some of the highest margins in the industry, I am not sure that SXF capacity alone will be sufficient. Also, BER will almost certainly be more expensive to operate from than TXL and I’m sure LH would love to keep that pricing as long as possible.
there just will be no significant time frame where TXL and BER will be both open.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Never mind Dear - I love Berlin I really do - but this nonsense has done them few favours. I still am sorry that they closed Templehof and I never got the chance to use it.
Slightly off topic, but if you at least want to explore Templehof, a group has been running tours of airport. I took the tour a little over a year ago and it was really fascinating. While it's not the same as actually traveling from there, you get to see a lot of places behind-the-scenes you couldn't have visited otherwise, and at least in my case our tour guide was passionately interested in its history. Tours aren't running right now of course, but it's well worth the experience when they're on again: https://www.thf-berlin.de/de/fuehrungen/
BlueThroughCrimp and wrp96 like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twa777
Slightly off topic, but if you at least want to explore Templehof, a group has been running tours of airport. I took the tour a little over a year ago and it was really fascinating. While it's not the same as actually traveling from there, you get to see a lot of places behind-the-scenes you couldn't have visited otherwise, and at least in my case our tour guide was passionately interested in its history. Tours aren't running right now of course, but it's well worth the experience when they're on again: https://www.thf-berlin.de/de/fuehrungen/

and its absolutely funny to walk/run/lustwalk over the runways and make aircraft noices.... vroooooooooom.

The Tempelhofer AIrfield is one of the "111 places in Berlin you must have seen". and a very diverse spot with different thinks to see. urban gardening, sports, dog parks, and even the "Freilandlabor Britz" has a dependance on the Tempelhofer Feld where school groups can discover the nature. IIRC there are birds building nests in the area that were nearly extinct several years ago....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.