Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will the BA / AA joint venture be broken up if Virgin goes bust?

Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various memberships

Had to trim the headline slightly

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...enture-ending/

However good your hearing is, you will have struggled to pick up the sound of British Airways demanding that Virgin Atlantic and Norwegian must not receive Government support and be allowed to fail.

Have you wondered why?

Are we about to see British Airways actively encouraging the UK Government to SAVE Virgin Atlantic? Given the choice of losing competition from Virgin Atlantic or losing the money from the transatlantic joint venture, I think that British Airways is more scared of the latter
Well worth a read
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I do take the speculation articles on HfP with a pinch of salt. The best feature of the site is to provide a summary of the latest points news for people who don't have the time or the willingness to keep up to date via sites like this, but with the lack of interesting points news the quality of their content has gone down (what's the point of a daily chat thread when forums like this do it better?)

I'd have thought a points blog would have picked up the news on this forum that it's now possible to do RFS redemptions in Y on the LHR-JFK route, it'll probably appear in a few days!

OK, I'm a little bitter that HfP decided to make the JavaScript workaround for refunds as a sticky on their site for weeks. If a relatively small number of people on sites like this knew about it BA would have probably left it alone but the prominence of the HfP article made it appear high in Google results for BA refunds at the time and meant BA had the incentive to work on blocking the workaround.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Paging Raffles...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should actually give my view on why BA is not openly campaigning for VS demise - because BA may need state assistance in future and it would look bad to the public if they willingly were wishing their competitors to go under.
Back when Flybe was struggling nobody expected things would get so bad that all airlines were at risk and so it was fair enough to say that one loss making airline doesn't deserve special treatment (and when Flybe collapsed Loganair and Eastern started to quickly fill the gaps until covid-19 really took hold).
So I think from a business perspective BA would be happy losing competition with VS and DY. They may have to quit their joint venture with AA at some point which means they'd compete once again with AA but that doesn't mean they leave oneworld and doesn't stop them codesharing on connections. If someone books BA to the US and then connects on an AA flight, it's still better for AA than if someone flies VS to the US and connects with DL. Same if someone flies AA to Europe and then BA onwards.
navylad, G4K and revorgap like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Had to trim the headline slightly

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...enture-ending/

Well worth a read
BA and Virgin should merge. Rename the airline Willy & Dick Airways. The lviery could be more phallic If you re-painired the front of the plane like a penis head (work it out). In doing so this would also give a whole new interpretation to the area of the aircraft better known as Cockpit. Then if ever in the future the airline failed, the headlines in the Sun would be "What a Cockup"

Probably get my knuckles wrapped by the mods for this but having jusr come off a 2 hr pointless Skype call needed a little chuckle. I'll get me coat............
ML
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
BA and Virgin should merge. Rename the airline Willy & Dick Airways. The lviery could be more phallic If you re-painired the front of the plane like a penis head (work it out). In doing so this would also give a whole new interpretation to the area of the aircraft better known as Cockpit. Then if ever in the future the airline failed, the headlines in the Sun would be "What a Cockup"

Probably get my knuckles wrapped by the mods for this but having jusr come off a 2 hr pointless Skype call needed a little chuckle. I'll get me coat............
ML
would the aircrafts still be named with female names? And carrying any flag?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Smile

Originally Posted by layz
I do take the speculation articles on HfP with a pinch of salt. .
I believe that is a key requirement when reading 'speculation', wherever it may be.

Originally Posted by layz
OK, I'm a little bitter that HfP decided to make the JavaScript workaround for refunds as a sticky on their site for weeks. If a relatively small number of people on sites like this knew about it BA would have probably left it alone but the prominence of the HfP article made it appear high in Google results for BA refunds at the time and meant BA had the incentive to work on blocking the workaround.
Have we mentioned BA Refund Helper in an article? No, so stop complaining :-) Do also please note that I am currently paying the full salaries, no furloughs, of 3 people whilst not paying myself, on income which is running 80% below usual.

We couldn't do the JFK thing today because we'd already pre-published 2/3rd of the Wednesday content early, during Tuesday, which left us slot-constrained today! Will probably run it tomorrow.

Early warning that there is an outstanding deal being launched tomorrow (subject to final confirmation) which I can't cover first thing but will drop in during the day. It will also cause much gnashing of teeth though.

Last edited by Raffles; Apr 29, 2020 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Early warning that there is an outstanding deal being launched tomorrow (subject to final confirmation) which I can't cover first thing but will drop in during the day. It will also cause much gnashing of teeth though.
Any particular time we should be looking out for this?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I've been somewhat harsh, and indeed it's good you can keep everyone on the payroll. It's just I've always rated HFP much higher than the likes of God Save the Points that have always been about clickbait or getting freebies off airlines (at least I know HFP won't say 'Alex Cruz is Awesome' just to get invited to events).
Let's hope when things start returning to normal BA will have some interesting offers to make HFP my first read in the morning once again.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Any particular time we should be looking out for this?
It's just been pulled due to the fall out from the redundancies. Need to wait 1-2 weeks I'm afraid.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:29 pm
Suspended

If Virgin survives as a much smaller airline and BA/AA survives as a JV thats much bigger than Virgin, does the JV have to be altered/ broken up?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Do also please note that I am currently paying the full salaries, no furloughs, of 3 people whilst not paying myself, on income which is running 80% below usual.
Hopefully you saved some of that monstrous salary you told us all about about a couple of weeks ago
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Hopefully you saved some of that monstrous salary you told us all about about a couple of weeks ago
To paraphrase, the easiest way to be a multi-millionaire travel blogger is to work in the City for 17 years before you start doing it :-)
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended

Deleted.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Apr 30, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
I think we forget just how small a player VS are (5.5m passengers per annum if I recall)

Great PR department, however...
Ldnn1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.