Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Another contribution on another website said that Len's position was that the TU would not talk to BA unless BA withdrew the Section 188 letters. Allegedly that's all Len raised with the BA bosses.
There is a flock of large pink pigs flying past my window as I type.

Echoing BS65, what were the numbers in the letter from BA??
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
we would propose to give all employees notice of dismissal by reason of redundancy
That means that everybody would be put on notice. That's the way redundancy works. The 12,000 would then be selected from the pool of people on notice.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
sxc
thanks.

We currently have 6382 Worldwide crew members of which:
• 531 are CSDs
• 1,060 are CSLs
• 4,791 are Main Crew
We currently have 1853 Eurofleet crew members of which:
• 11 are CSDs
• 466 are Pursers
• 1376 are Main Crew
We currently have 6027 Mixed Fleet crew members of which:
• 852 are CSMs
• 5,175 are Cabin Crew
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I seem to recall an email from OH's Unite reps saying that Len and Alex talked and there were refusals all over the shop on these sort of points.
Len just wants the S188 withdrawn and his letters have all gone for the “we can’t meaningfully negotiate on furlough”. If you read Len’s letters to IAG board/Alex Cruz, they’re all very much head in the sand.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I seem to recall an email from OH's Unite reps saying that Len and Alex talked and there were refusals all over the shop on these sort of points.
Now, that's one side of the barricade and all that, but it's clear to me that BA is planning to use this situation as the crowbar with which to break up the crew structure that emerged from 2010. And they will progress to do that.
Unpalatable as that may be, it sounds like it needs doing in the new travel world that will emerge. Quite ridiculous for one group to be on a set of pay and T&Cs that belong in a different era, probably pre-deregulation, pre-LCC, pre the scrapping of Bermuda II. BA needs to survive and to do that needs to take an axe (probably a hatchet) to costs and very fast.

tt is sad for the people involved but they have had enhanced pay and T&Cs for some years now compared to what are now considered the new market rates.....we should not forget that BA (and U2, FR etc) have zero problem recruiting CC at these new market rates. It has taken a major crisis to get it through but in the exact same way the unions operate, you aim to bring change when you know you have the cards in your favour. On this occasion, BA don't just have the card deck in their favour, they hold every single card in the deck. We should not forget, if the unions held all the cards they would not hesitate to try and force change.....remember strikes at peak summertime anyone?
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
What is it with many of you here that you all seem to feel that anyone working in a service industry deserves to have low pay!
How has our society reached this point where I presume intelligent people argue that it is right that certain workers do not deserve a decent living that helps them live in what is the most expensive area in the country?
How is it that society seems to think that a vast swath of the population only deserve to be on low pay now, lower that in previous decades?

It really is bizarre, no one could say that any BA staff are overpaid, whichever contract they are on but constantly we are told here that cabin crew only deserve to be paid lower wages? Why is that then?

BA made 1.92 billion in profits last year while paying it’s staff the current wage bill, so why do some of you feel that BA employees, particularly cabin crew, should be earning low wages?

This doesn’t only apply to BA, but it seems to be a strange view taken about any service industry job? Often put forward by people on much higher wages.

I don’t need any of you to actually answer these questions because I don’t really want to hear what you will be saying, I just wanted to point out how very odd the views a lot of you seem to have are, where people earning quite normal wages, in fact on London standards fairly low, are considered overpaid! Quite odd.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
sxc
thanks.

We currently have 6382 Worldwide crew members of which:
• 531 are CSDs
• 1,060 are CSLs
• 4,791 are Main Crew
We currently have 1853 Eurofleet crew members of which:
• 11 are CSDs
• 466 are Pursers
• 1376 are Main Crew
We currently have 6027 Mixed Fleet crew members of which:
• 852 are CSMs
• 5,175 are Cabin Crew
I'm surprised there are still Eurofleet CSDs left - I thought they'd all gone?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What is it with many of you here that you all seem to feel that anyone working in a service industry deserves to have low pay!
How has our society reached this point where I presume intelligent people argue that it is right that certain workers do not deserve a decent living that helps them live in what is the most expensive area in the country?
How is it that society seems to think that a vast swath of the population only deserve to be on low pay now, lower that in previous decades?

It really is bizarre, no one could say that any BA staff are overpaid, whichever contract they are on but constantly we are told here that cabin crew only deserve to be paid lower wages? Why is that then?

BA made 1.92 billion in profits last year while paying it’s staff the current wage bill, so why do some of you feel that BA employees, particularly cabin crew, should be earning low wages?

This doesn’t only apply to BA, but it seems to be a strange view taken about any service industry job? Often put forward by people on much higher wages.

I don’t need any of you to actually answer these questions because I don’t really want to hear what you will be saying, I just wanted to point out how very odd the views a lot of you seem to have are, where people earning quite normal wages, in fact on London standards fairly low, are considered overpaid! Quite odd.
Don't worry, they would squeal like stuck little pigs if it happened to them. Keyboard warriors. As Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth". You all have my support. I don't think there is another airline (non-LCC) on the planet that seems to hate its employees as much as BA does. Best wishes.
flygirl68, markzz2 and Littlegirl like this.

Programs: BA Gold

Hear hear.

Unfortunately the ‘race to the bottom’ mentality is endemic.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond

So you ask why people have certain views but don't want to hear what they will be saying. The point of your post is therefore what? What makes you think your view is the only one people are allowed to not respond to?

FT is a fab resource and every interaction I have had has been with unfailingly helpful individuals. Thankfully we have different views and (more importantly) are allowed to share them so why stop now?
mguinness likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
CIHY was so right and spotted it so very, very early.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
And now they want to sue the government over the quarantine period....... That would be the government that's paying the wages of the staff you want to get rid of.... Unbelievable.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC

Hear. Hear. Point well made.

It’s a systemic crisis globally and sadly has deep socioeconomic impacts on the generations just starting their careers, which is why they would rather sell their souls for 5 mins of fame on reality tv, Instagram, YouTube fame or become football players than work in the service industries with pride and passion because of the pay and the peer perception.

Incredibly sad and worrying for the service industries future and the future of the people that can’t stomach the jobs because of low pay etc. Why these jobs are beneath or belittled by anyone, simply amazes me.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That means that everybody would be put on notice. That's the way redundancy works. The 12,000 would then be selected from the pool of people on notice.
Yes....I get that...12000 “selected” and given statutory redundancy...and the remaining 30000? Oh yes...Current contract of employment torn up and new, inferior (and Agent69 please don’t say”how do you know it will be inferior? - if it wasn’t then what’s the point of doing it?) offered to them.
What if one of the “lucky” ones says - thanks very much but I’m quite happy with my current contract of employment? What does BA do then?
Whilst writing this I am thinking outside of the crew community where clearly there are issues over different fleets...this is about technical, non technical, administration staff et all!
A need for headcount reduction I get very clearly but this blatant attack on T&C’s is just a clear example of a race to the bottom - using this current pandemic as a convenient excuse to do it.
i cannot believe that any person on this site can find this behaviour acceptable in any way, shape and form.
flygirl68, markzz2 and Littlegirl like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:00 am

Leaving aside the undeniable truth that the UK is a classist society, there's a tension, in the industry, which is behind the erosion of your standards of living and of those who work in the industry at large

We, the public, want cheap tickets. And tickets are a lot cheaper than they were 10, 15, 20 years ago. That's undoubtedly a good thing, but we're in the position were we expect cheap flights.
The investors, on the other side, want larger returns. More revenue, but crucially lower non-fuel CASK. Check out the transcripts of the investors' day of any airline: cost, cost, cost. Larger returns, dividends, share buy-backs.
Then of course top management wants larger bonuses.

The industry is geared towards bringing maximum benefits in the shorter period of time, because the airlines are boom-and-bust, they aren't those stocks that keep on plodding along for ages: you buy 'em low and sell them at the top of the cycle and expect maximum returns in the few years inbetween. The only way to do this is to sell more, but obviously lower the costs. By my reckoning, if BA reduces the people costs by how much they seem to be wanting to, they'll improve non-fuel CASK (assuming constant flying) between 3 and 5%. The City will be giddy with excitement, apart from results day when the stock will dip as analysts expected 6%.

The result of this is the squeezing of the standards of living of those working in the industry. And if you think Mixed Fleet crews have it badly, do yourself a favour and check out the T&Cs of cleaners, caterers, handlers working for handling companies. It's grim.
mguinness likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.