Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:08 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Biscuittin
A comparison of how BA and RR and going about dealing with their staff does actually show........um......well, you know.....how BA are treating their staff vs. how RR are treating theirs. It's thus valid.

Your contention, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that the fact that neither BA nor VS plan to resume operations at LGW in the near future (if ever) constitutes proof that no airlines anywhere are returning any capacity to any market over the near term. Faulty logic.
Then a) state the actual capacity being returned b) which airlines are returning and c) by when? Sounds like you must be clearly in the know.....so state facts rather than your current assertion many airlines are returning capacity "over the next little while" which I believe qualifies for nothing more than a vaguely wild guess and you really have no idea?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A comparison of how BA and RR and going about dealing with their staff does actually show........um......well, you know.....how BA are treating their staff vs. how RR are treating theirs. It's thus valid.
Except they are different industries facing different challenges.

Your contention, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that the fact that neither BA nor VS plan to resume operations at LGW in the near future (if ever) constitutes proof that no airlines anywhere are returning any capacity to any market over the near term. Faulty logic.
I would be surprised if any European major airline is anywhere near 100% of the pre-COVID capacity by then end of 2020 - hardly surprising since most major economies are facing double figure decreases in GDP this year and massive increases in unemployment, to say nothing of possible second waves of the virus of course. In fact many airlines including BA are only planning to get to that level in 2022/23 - they are already cutting the fleets to reflect this.

There is clearly an immediate cut in capacity to under 5%, an intermediate period hopefully during this summer where airlines can start up again and get at least back over 50%, and a very long recovery which will largely depend on how long it takes for the economy to revover.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Then a) state the actual capacity being returned b) which airlines are returning and c) by when? Sounds like you must be clearly in the know.....so state facts rather than your current assertion many airlines are returning capacity "over the next little while" which I believe qualifies for nothing more than a vaguely wild guess and you really have no idea?
Are you really not aware that Virgin Atlantic just announced that it will being operating again next month, that EasyJet will restart in a couple of weeks, that Air Canada is now operating significantly more long haul that it was operating a couple of weeks ago? That Turkish is restarting? That KLM and Lufthansa have restarted routes that were dropped? Etc etc.

Or does that fact that neither BA or VS will operate from Gatwick again soon somehow disprove the above?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
What members of Parliament feel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVB6nD...ature=youtu.be
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
How Mr. O’Leary is treating his staff.

Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:30 pm

Or does that fact that neither BA or VS will operate from Gatwick again soon somehow disprove the above?
It proves that airline capactiy is returning very slowly and greatly reduced.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:32 pm
BOH

Are you really not aware that Virgin Atlantic just announced that it will being operating again next month, that EasyJet will restart in a couple of weeks, that Air Canada is now operating significantly more long haul that it was operating a couple of weeks ago? That Turkish is restarting? That KLM and Lufthansa have restarted routes that were dropped? Etc etc.

....you forgot part a) of the question. VS "will begin operating again next month" or "Easyjet will restart in a couple of weeks" and the others you stated are not facts on what actual capacity is returning, is all simply hearsay. What is the ACTUAL capacity.

And yes, BA in particular not operating any flights from the UK's second busiest airport for the foreseeable future is pretty significant in terms of anything like capacity returning soon.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764
It proves that airline capactiy is returning very slowly and greatly reduced.
Nobody said otherwise.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=RsfMfu8U7ws
If only there was a way for the unions to meet with the airline to put a similar propoal forward.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:35 pm
BOH

Nobody said otherwise.
Got to be post of the day
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
....you forgot part a) of the question. VS "will begin operating again next month" or "Easyjet will restart in a couple of weeks" and the others you stated are not facts on what actual capacity is returning, is all simply hearsay. What is the ACTUAL capacity.
I don't have the figures on actual capacity, but I don't need them to state that they're adding capacity. Going from zero to a small operation that will probably expand in increments is adding capacity which is all I said was occurring in the first place. Can we stop being pedantic?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:42 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Littlegirl

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=RsfMfu8U7ws
Nice to see O'Leary being considerate like that for once. So why didn't Len the 70s dinosaur state in that earlier interview link you posted that he has some specific plans and ideas he wants to discuss with BA to mitigate job losses? Instead he just peddled his usual outright lies and came out of that interview with zero credibility.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:52 pm
BOH

I don't have the figures on actual capacity, but I don't need them to state that they're adding capacity. Going from zero to a small operation that will probably expand in increments is adding capacity which is all I said was occurring in the first place. Can we stop being pedantic?
But whilst there may be tiny positives in that (and remember a headline grabbing doubling in capacity simply moves you from 5% to 10% of original schedule) there is no way the traffic will return to anything like previous in the next few months or even within two years. Therefore BA (and all airlines) do not need anything like the staff they had on their headcount on 1st January. This is what is whole thread is about and sadly that 12,000 definite redundancies may not be be deep enough.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
But whilst there may be tiny positives in that (and remember a headline grabbing doubling in capacity simply moves you from 5% to 10% of original schedule)
Yes, and I'm not sure why you needed to spend so much time arguing that that wasn't the case.

Everybody knows that staff reductions are necessary. Continue to cheer BA on for the way they're going about it if you like.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by OhLordy
So you know the plan then? Would you care to share?
I don't know the plan, but where has it been confirmed that all staff will be made redundant and offered new contracts? It's just not true.
JFX1764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.