Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 10:38 am

With today's announcement likely to obliterate swathes of the travel industry, will it ONLY be 12,000 losses? Or is there the chance this will now lead to far more?
Old May 22, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
With today's announcement likely to obliterate swathes of the travel industry, will it ONLY be 12,000 losses? Or is there the chance this will now lead to far more?
Well, with my realistic hat on, it's unlikely that - had Priti rolled out the welcome mat at T5 arrivals, instead of pulling up the drawbridge - there would've been hordes of people anxiously waiting to arrive to the UK anyway.

The 12k job losses (plus BACF, plus BAMC, plus BAIE, plus - I bet - BAMG) are there because travel is going to be impacted for years to come. This quarantine (which is late, stupid and senseless in my view) too shall pass. Eventually, it'll go away; probably July, August and September will be write-offs but, let's be honest, they never were going to be great months anyway.

Friends in BA were telling me that the head of the Cabin Crew community was saying, in her Teams meeting today, that consultations might last for longer due to this announcement. I'm tempted to call BS on it; I find it more likely that they haven't had sufficient proof of 'meaningful consultation' (or they haven't fully done their plans yet, a lot of people still don't know what's happening to their departments and how the proposed new T&Cs are) and they're late.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Waterhorse.
Sorry if the terminology came across badly. I did not mean any offence - I was simply looking at the world from WW's perspective. You will have seen from my other posts on here, that is not my normal position!
Cheers AO, the writren word often comes across without the humanity we intend. No offence intended I'm sure and certainly none taken. My post was meant to gently put across the point that its easy to lose the fact that this is all a bit raw for a lot of us.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
“A campaign is being launched to warn of the “damage” caused by plans by British Airways to cut 12,000 jobs.Unite accused BA of using the Covid-19 crisis to “betray” staff and passengers.

General secretary Len McCluskey has written to members of the board of BA’s parent group, IAG, saying he has authorised a campaign to defend his members’ jobs.

He wrote: “I have no option but to do all I can to protect my members and shine a light on your betrayal of Britain and your cynical use of this crisis as cover for your corporate greed.”

Source: https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/bu...-losses/22/05/
Old May 22, 2020, 12:07 pm

With the entirety of the Head Office function, at least in the UK, also under formal consultation as of today, we could be in for an interesting few weeks.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Website is up:

https://babetrayal.com/
Old May 22, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
so "One Mile at a Time" is a respected blog that Unison is justifying their stance?
Old May 22, 2020, 12:27 pm

Me and my crew friends are laughing our heads off whilst we cancel our memberships. If this is all they can do then they’ve lost the plot.

Many of us are begging them to enter into talks and being ignored.
SpeedbirdLHR and revorgap like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by L1705
Me and my crew friends are laughing our heads off whilst we cancel our memberships. If this is all they can do then they’ve lost the plot.

Many of us are begging them to enter into talks and being ignored.
You contradict yourself in the post, you are cancelling membership yet at the same time begging them to enter talks? I have always had to give my membership number in communications with Unite? By cancelling membership all you are doing is taking away your chance to vote on what will eventually be a proposal. Not sure if you have spoken to reps about what is happening to get a deeper understanding?

A leverage campaign is a good move by Unite and there is mounting political pressure.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
I am not sure what this is expected to achieve? Are they somehow expecting a mass public protest which causes BA to change their plans?
Old May 22, 2020, 12:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Northernbronze
A leverage campaign is a good move by Unite and there is mounting political pressure.
leverage by whom? Has there been an example BA/IAG taking any notice of political pressure before?
Waterhorse likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Wouldn’t a Gov.uk petition possibly have a better impact, if say it gets over 100K signatures, then it is debated in the House of Commons. If I remember correctly.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Has Unite seriously launched a PR campaign rather than attempt meaningful negotiation? Pointless at the best of times, but at a time like this is it'll be totally drowned out.

My sympathies to all. Not only for what their employer is putting them through, but also for the inaction of those they pay to defend them. Awful.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Northernbronze
You contradict yourself in the post, you are cancelling membership yet at the same time begging them to enter talks? I have always had to give my membership number in communications with Unite? By cancelling membership all you are doing is taking away your chance to vote on what will eventually be a proposal. Not sure if you have spoken to reps about what is happening to get a deeper understanding?

Union reps enjoy release from their roles on your contributions. That’s fine when they perform and protect terms and conditions. I’m this case that is very questionable.

Unions = 1970’s = limited impact
L1705 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Wouldn’t a Gov.uk petition possibly have a better impact, if say it gets over 100K signatures, then it is debated in the House of Commons. If I remember correctly.
Yes, it gets debated for 10 minutes at the end of a session (to about 10 MPs), then forgotten about.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.