Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr

For employees ot s LOSE/LOSE, forbidden to work elsewhere, no guaranteed minimum amount of hours per week, as on zero-hours can't even claim social security as unavailable to work as "employed already"
With respect to the bolding, that used to be the case when on a zero hours contract, however, employers cannot now claim exclusivity on a zero hour worker and they are free to take on roles elsewhere.
From a personal perspective, a zero-hour contract works fine for me and I have declined the opportunity of a full time contract. I have the flexibility whether to take on work or not and I still retain the full employment rights as my full time colleagues.
I fully accept that a zero-hour contract is not suitable for most workers, but there are those who find such flexibility more suitable to their own circumstances.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
​​​​​​...What would a strike achieve when there's not any flying to disrupt? It's why BA is doing it now. A strike will be pointless and on the cusp of major economic decline, they know they'll not have an issue filling the new contracts with people desperate to keep a job
Yes it is hard to see how the unions have much power at the moment.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
It's a shame. I guess the unions will have to try and get the best that they can, without pushing too far as they've got nothing in their arsenal
Old May 3, 2020, 3:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Indeed. After making lots of noise about the pilot strike last year, they capitulated when it became clear that BA weren't going to budge.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Indeed. After making lots of noise about the pilot strike last year, they capitulated when it became clear that BA weren't going to budge.
BA will be rubbing their hands together - if they couldn't negotiate well when they had the leverage, what are they going to be able to do now!?

I feel very fortunate that my Union is very strong and has a good relationship with my employer. I feel for those with weak ones, especially in this situation
Old May 3, 2020, 3:52 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
BA has been invited to appear before the Transport Select Committee next week, apparently after MP Gavin Newlands was unhappy about the news.

Old May 3, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
BA will be rubbing their hands together - if they couldn't negotiate well when they had the leverage, what are they going to be able to do now!?

Absolutely right (wrt both posts) !

The disruption caused (by just a few days of strike action) last summer / autumn - in both financial and logistical terms - was huge, creating a true nightmare scenario for BA exec management. Yes, they played hardball and ‘won the day’ ...... but there is little doubt that they would have been forced to capitulate if the pilots, and their Union, had shown more steely resolve.

A real missed opportunity for the pilots (regardless of the merits of their case) if ever there was one. It seems inconceivable that in the foreseeable future, BA pilots (and perhaps those working for almost any airline ...?) will get a better chance to make an impact.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:33 am

Warren Buffet has just announced he has sold out his entire half billion investment in the big 4 US airlines. His statement is that the aviation industry will do nothing but chew money for the foreseeable future and Buffet always thinks long term. He usually gets it right as well. The t&cs working for BA and probably anywhere else in that industry are in for some serious downgrading sadly
Old May 3, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Swissroll
Warren Buffet has just announced he has sold out his entire half billion investment in the big 4 US airlines. His statement is that the aviation industry will do nothing but chew money for the foreseeable future and Buffet always thinks long term. He usually gets it right as well. The t&cs working for BA and probably anywhere else in that industry are in for some serious downgrading sadly
He’s got no reason to think long term nowadays. He’s 90 this year and has already said he won’t be passing on his wealth to his children.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there is a huge difference, in the present market, of an investor looking at a company and making their own thoughts of the market. Versus a company making changes they had possibly long wanted to make and using this opportunity to make such changes.

Sadly a lot of companies especially in retail and travel will make decisions that they have wanted to do for a long time and havent been able to do, unions and building leases for example.

As earlier people have said the unions have never regained they power. They are not really going to call a strike now.

The market will pick up over the next 24 months and then further when a vaccine is found and given to everyone.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
He called this too late, unless he sold in January.

The Dow is now roughly as high as it was last June. Explain that one ....
origin likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:44 am

I wonder, with MP's now showing an interest, if it might just turn out that in their rush to get this process started, coupled with WW, AC and IAG in general apparently seeing themselves as the supreme and untouchable rulers of all that they survey, they've actually shot themselves in the foot by drawing more attention to it than would have been the case if they'd waited for the JRS to end and business to find its new normal?

Still wrong, either way.

Best wishes to all my former colleagues.
13901 likes this.

Last edited by OnceCrew; May 3, 2020 at 5:47 am Reason: added "with MP's now showing an interest"
Old May 3, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by OnceCrew
I wonder, with MP's now showing an interest, if it might just turn out that in their rush to get this process started, coupled with WW, AC and IAG in general apparently seeing themselves as the supreme and untouchable rulers of all that they survey, they've actually shot themselves in the foot by drawing more attention to it than would have been the case if they'd waited for the JRS to end and business to find its new normal?

Still wrong, either way.

It may attract some negative PR but the British public are fickle and have short memories. Do it now and endure the bad press when they're not fighting for custom and then by the time it's all over, people will have long forgotten.

Realistically, what can the government do, without setting what would be considered a dangerous precedent for getting involved in private business?

As others have pointed out, the date of consultation coincides with the end of the JRS - and BA could (and probably will) argue that once the JRS ends this is necessary as it can't afford to keep them
Old May 3, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by OnceCrew

Still wrong, either way.

With respect I suspect the opposite may be true - by doing this IAG is actually sounding the alarm as loudly as possible as a warning to governments that if they don’t co-ordinate to ensure conditions exist to facilitate a resumption in international air travel as soon as practicable, the result will inevitably be large scale job losses. This approach may ultimately result in more jobs surviving than would otherwise have been the case, if it results in swift government action to address the underlying challenges facing the airline and tourism industries.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:28 am

Heathrow may also be forced to make redundancies.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...ety-air-travel

Need to get rapid testdetectors installed like these developed by Oxford Uni.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-03-18-oxford-scientists-develop-rapid-testing-technology-covid-19

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.