Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unite have also raised a legal challenge.
Have they actually raised a legal challenge? I know they haven't in the UK, telling memebers there is nothing they can do now to stop redundancies, but will look at taking it to tribunal after the fact. They were talking of rasing a legal challenge in Spain, have they done so?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
have a read of the thread. Unite are refusing to talk until BA stop the clock on the s188 period. Unite have also raised a legal challenge.

https://twitter.com/LenMcCluskey/sta...294853632?s=20

https://www.ft.com/content/bfc32ac1-...6-384d881d5b98
Thank-you for your informative post.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JFX1764
Have they actually raised a legal challenge? I know they haven't in the UK, telling memebers there is nothing they can do now to stop redundancies, but will look at taking it to tribunal after the fact. They were talking of rasing a legal challenge in Spain, have they done so?
they did as far as i know but i can't see any recent update https://ukaviation.news/unite-launch...ways-job-cuts/
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by BOH
Are there any specific examples you can give though of a recent strike in the UK (say last 10 years) where a concession has actually been extracted from the employer as a result? Where the concession outweighed the loss of employees pay during the strike?

Teachers are really not relevant because it is not in a competitive market and when was the last ATC strike in this country and what did the strikers manage to get?
Do you think that people should not have the right to strike?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOH
I would respectfully suggest you take a read of the bio of a certain union leader and catch up on some current affairs programs of the last 2-3 weeks...
More informative posting may save a few readers a bit of kerfuffle.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
More informative posting may save a few readers a bit of kerfuffle.
Well don't think I'm going to do your legwork for you, if you want to take part in an informed debate then is good to be be informed? Otherwise you would have to rely on my view of the situation. One of your questions has been helpfully answered a few posts up, now you only need to read the bio of our friend Len and you are all set
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by BOH
You have lost me there, what was this about?
Iberia had messengers on mopeds to deliver paperwork, because either they didn't want to get it themselves or couldn't be bothered to use ACARS.

Originally Posted by WATP
My personal favourite is legacy crew complaining about the size of the galley space on the A350. .
My suggestion is to ask anyone who works on the 350, of whichever fleet. I'm glad the Mrs is on furlough because after she was done on a TLV you wouldn't hear the end of it... she's MF and one who doesn't mind the 'flexspace' galley on the NEOs. The undeniable truth of the 350 is that it's poorly designed. BA is the only airline using an A35K who doesn't have a mid-fuselage galley, the only airline who hasn't got a way of crossing from one aisle to the other in WT+ or WT, the only airline who has chosen such a small square footage for the aft galley. I've flown on it on a redeye TLV and it was just utter shambles in WT+. Turkish Airlines on a 737 to ULN via Bishkek delivers a faster service, even including when you have dogs doing their business in the aisle (seriously).

Originally Posted by JFX1764
By negotiating, BALPA have managed to at least win and enhanced voluntary redundancy package, preferential terms and arrangements for those who wish to take up the armed forces support scheme and other external job opportunities.
Well, to be absolutely precise BA is "willing to entertain the option of offering VR", or fluffy words to that extent. And the RAF clause was in the ex-RAF pilots' contracts anyway, as far as I know (and in fact I know more than one ex RAF pilot who is actually worried about having to return there). Plus, they got S188 fire-and-rehire and an increase in redundancies. So it's not as if BA is bending over backwards to help out BALPA.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:19 am
BOH

Originally Posted by peter h
Do you think that people should not have the right to strike?
You have answered a question with a question there so I assume there are no examples of successful strike action in the last 10 years in the UK?

With regards yours, I have never been asked that so will think about it for an hour and reply.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:20 am
BOH

Originally Posted by 13901
Iberia had messengers on mopeds to deliver paperwork, because either they didn't want to get it themselves or couldn't be bothered to use ACARS.
Oh I see, how funny
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by BOH
Are there any specific examples you can give though of a recent strike in the UK (say last 10 years) where a concession has actually been extracted from the employer as a result? Where the concession outweighed the loss of employees pay during the strike?
I've participated in strike action before over proposed rosters - proposal was reducing the number of whole weekends off from 1in4 to 1in16 - after strike action proposed rosters were changed to closer to 1in4 - I'd say that was worth the loss of pay.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by BOH
You have answered a question with a question there so I assume there are no examples of successful strike action in the last 10 years in the UK?

With regards yours, I have never been asked that so will think about it for an hour and reply.
How do you define successful? As someone posted (I think), in a dispute, either or both sides start off with an extreme position (strikes or redundancies) and, hopefully, negotiate to something closer to the middle. The point of a strike could just have been to initiate talks.

It could also be argued that the balance of power has swung from the employees towards the employers over the last 40 years, so maybe strikes have lost their effectiveness. And there seems to be a lot more bad PR around them these days when there's always a selfish member of the public popping up to complain about strikers ruining their life.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:32 am
BOH

Originally Posted by peter h
......when there's always a selfish member of the public popping up to complain about strikers ruining their life.
Are they not allowed to then? Holiday ruined and maybe stranded but must stay silent? Got to "toe the line" and not speak out of turn?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by V10
Well now, as you've noted, strike action isn't something that can be taken on a whim. Proper procedures need to be followed and it isn't something that is done lightly. There are financial implications to those taking strike action. Therefore it makes sense to get the biggest bang for your buck, if you will - a notion that I'm sure all highly powered business people can get behind.
So to summarise, you are saying don't take action on a whim, follow proper procedures, don't take the decision lightly, accept there may be financial consequences and ensure you get the biggest bang for your buck?

Sounds exactly what BA are currently doing. I assume you would support BA's right to do this given you appear to support the unions right to act in a similar way.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
But did it happen?

No it did not.
So to summarise:
  • I posted a factually acurate statement regarding unite calling strike action over the Christmas holiday period
  • In your eagerness to give me a good kicking and in an attempt to slap down my message you jump in head first without reading my post properly
  • I provide further details so that you can satisfy yourself that my original post was accurate
  • Instead of saying 'I'm sorry I mis-read your post', you go off on a tangent ranting about something else.

And people wonder why some of the postings on this thread are so fractious.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:46 am

The cost cuts that BA are asking for are an order of magnitude larger than any pay rise demand from one of the unions.
flygirl68 and markzz2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.