Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Short hop breaks if/when the world gets back to normal

Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+

Apologies if I've missed a similar thread, but just thinking about what might be some good short break options for late 2020/early 2021 (assuming things are operating by then - I hope so!) - probably not too far away in case of recurrence to keep it relatively simple to get home again, which realistically probably means Europe.

Work travel is dry so a couple of little leisure trips might be nice to try to pencil in and probably aiming for something sedate with a bit of culture and/or some reasonable wine(!).

I was thinking Bordeaux (as never been - although 6am flights are a bit painful for leisure trips!!) and/or possibly somewhere in Portugal/Spain, any other suggestions that people consider 'good value' for a couple of days? Anyone else working up a shortlist of where to go when the green light comes?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Depending on where we're allowed to go, Porto, Valencia and Seville are all good choices.
drwook likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by drwook
Anyone else working up a shortlist of where to go when the green light comes?
I simply booked my usual RFS for my usual places at the usual times and I'm just hoping for the best! So LCY-NCE in September and LCY-ZRH in January to then head up to St Moritz for the bobsleigh & skeleton world cup. It's a low-risk move because I have a flat in the south of France so don't require accommodation for that trip; and for St Moritz, the small family-run hotel I stay at every year automatically hold 'my' room for race week.

ETA I also have a trip in mind to see some friends in Zurich and Innsbruck whenever we're allowed to travel again

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Apr 27, 2020 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the appeal of places is the same as before. But I think it will be a while before the days of the 'mini-break' are back.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
I simply booked my usual RFS for my usual places at the usual times and I'm just hoping for the best! So LCY-NCE in September and LCY-ZRH in January to then head up to St Moritz for the bobsleigh & skeleton world cup. It's a low-risk move because I have a flat in the south of France so don't require accommodation for that trip; and for St Moritz, the small family-run hotel I stay at every year automatically hold 'my' room for race week.

ETA I also have a trip in mind to see some friends in Zurich and Innsbruck whenever we're allowed to travel again
In today's Swiss government press conference, the speaker from the Economic Ministry said that he personally wouldn't personally be planning any international travel before next year. With the exception of perhaps driving across the border at some point. At this point, I'm just hoping I'm able to get some time here in Switzerland to see the local sights myself.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
My intention is to park myself in a pub in Gibraltar.
ENTP, 20Rothmans and drwook like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC
I was thinking a trip to Gibraltar for the end of the year. Foreign but not too foreign
Lynyrd and drwook like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I'll be pleased if I'm allowed to fly to Scotland to see family and have a degree of automomy in being able to get out and about. If hotels etc are open would like to go up into the Highlands, which is something I never really did despite being born and living the first 23 years of my life there. Little point in going if everything will still be shut.

For something a bit warmer, hoping we might manage a few nights in Spain as my inlaws have a place near Alicante. I know hotels are looking suspect in Spain, but we are fine for accommodation and won't be in a tourist resort so hopefully it will be possible.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Apologies if I've missed a similar thread, but just thinking about what might be some good short break options for late 2020/early 2021 (assuming things are operating by then - I hope so!) - probably not too far away in case of recurrence to keep it relatively simple to get home again, which realistically probably means Europe.

Work travel is dry so a couple of little leisure trips might be nice to try to pencil in and probably aiming for something sedate with a bit of culture and/or some reasonable wine(!).

I was thinking Bordeaux (as never been - although 6am flights are a bit painful for leisure trips!!) and/or possibly somewhere in Portugal/Spain, any other suggestions that people consider 'good value' for a couple of days? Anyone else working up a shortlist of where to go when the green light comes?
I head down to Southern Spain come Winter and do my best to spend as much time there as permits. If you;re not too fussy about what dat of the week you go you can get a return for <Ł100.
Car hire I can get for Ł8:00 inclusing full insurance with no excess. (You're not getting a top of the range but more a 3 door basic car).
I can get a one bed Airbnb apt for Ł30 a night. Not maybe to everyones taste, but does me fine.

ML
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
We have a trip to Zell am Zimmer booked up for August this year, taking the car from the UK making use of the Dusseldorf to Innsbruck overnight Motorail train, then driving back through Germany stopping off at a few places. We're continuing to book things up, just making sure to go with fully flexible accommodation (which is still very reasonably priced due to the COVID-19 situation). There's a good chance we'll need to cancel everything, but it gives us something to plan and look forward to and if it's not this year, we'll resurrect our plans for next.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Gibraltar sounds a great idea, hadn't crossed my mind. Looks like T3 too, so can drag the Mrs to a couple of lounges (assuming such things still exist and re-open this year!)

I quite like the Spanish islands but never left the airport on the mainland (!) so maybe that's an idea - any suggestions that aren't too hectic, Barcelona/Alicante?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ drwook - specifically on Spain ....... may I recommend, for the mainland, the charming, very compact, city of Girona. Reachable within less than an hour by fast train from its far larger neighbour, Barcelona ; but in many ways more rewarding & more relaxing. Not that I would ever advise against a visit to Barcelona too, given you haven’t yet been.

And as regards the many islands : my personal favourite is Menorca, where I have been a frequent visitor for many years. Regular flights - in normal times ! - by BA et al, throughout the (very long) summer season, ie from around April to October.
drwook likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:48 am

If you’re thinking Bordeaux then I’d highly recommend Montpellier. Beautiful town, excellent bars & restaurants and good value.

If you’re considering Italy, then Treviso is a much nicer option than Venice. Charming with some great bars & restaurants for about half the price of their famous neighbour
drwook likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: QF Gold
Gibraltar sounds a great idea, hadn't crossed my mind. Looks like T3 too, so can drag the Mrs to a couple of lounges (assuming such things still exist and re-open this year!)

I quite like the Spanish islands but never left the airport on the mainland (!) so maybe that's an idea - any suggestions that aren't too hectic, Barcelona/Alicante?
T5 for now, not sure if/when it will go back to T3

Lounge on GIB end is horrible, terrible entitled staff.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by davem4
T5 for now, not sure if/when it will go back to T3

Lounge on GIB end is horrible, terrible entitled staff.
I seem to remember that due to the small number of flights, sometimes they don't even open security until it's almost too late to use the lounge anyway.
But on the plus side it's one of the few places (the only BA destination?) where you can walk across the runway to get to the terminal building from town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.