Unusual BA Operation from LTN

Old Apr 26, 20, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Unusual BA Operation from LTN

See below from FR.

My assumption is that this is 1) Cargo and 2) using a leased Airbus freighter? Have not seen AB6 as a BA aircraft type before.

Old Apr 26, 20, 6:40 am

AB6 = A300-600

i cant answer your questions, just as an info
hth
Old Apr 26, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
apparently also flew april 19th and also scheduled for may 3rd
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:00 am

DHL have been operating A300 freighters on behalf of BA Cargo for a number of years. They are normally to Heathrow but there’s loads of reasons why this could change at the moment.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Apr 26, 20 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:06 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
DHL have been operating A300 freighters on behalf of BA Cargo for a number of years.
That will be a relief to LTNPhobia
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:12 am

What I find illuminating eating is the number of cargo flights on Flight Radar. I guess they have always been there but lost in the mass of passenger aircraft shown. Now, with very few flights, you click on the icon and it's a freighter. In my idle moments most of the craft activity seems to be cargo. Made me realise what a huge business it must be.

The other odd thing is the number of normal flights going to unusual destinations. A3 (Aegean) has had numerous flights going into ALA (Almaty, Kazakhstan) over the last few weeks and they don't have passenger services there. Again, cargo I expect although what it is who knows!
DrBenO likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by DrBenO View Post
See below from FR.

My assumption is that this is 1) Cargo and 2) using a leased Airbus freighter? Have not seen AB6 as a BA aircraft type before.
I'm assuming this is aka QY6717 which is a scheduled flight from LTN or LHR to FRA. At the moment it leaves from LTN every Sunday but it used to be every Saturday. As mentioned above - it flies from LHR more often but LTN has been used on occasional weekdays as well.

Last edited by Schind; Apr 26, 20 at 7:31 am
Old Apr 26, 20, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
What I find illuminating eating is the number of cargo flights on Flight Radar. I guess they have always been there but lost in the mass of passenger aircraft shown. Now, with very few flights, you click on the icon and it's a freighter. In my idle moments most of the craft activity seems to be cargo. Made me realise what a huge business it must be.
Also finding it very interesting! Mrs DrBenO less so when I’m providing a running commentary of the (very infrequent, compared to usual living under the bovingdon stack) planes passing over.

Yesterday afternoons’ highlight was an RAF A400 inbound to Brize Norton.
Richmond_Surrey likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: BA blue, Emirates blue
Originally Posted by Schind View Post
I'm assuming this is aka QY6717 which is a scheduled flight from LTN or LHR to FRA. At the moment it leaves from LTN every Sunday but it used to be every Saturday. As mentioned above - it flies from LHR more often but LTN has been used on occasional weekdays as well.
I live under the flight path into Luton and DHL A300 flights have been a common sight for quite some time. However there are more these days usually FRA, AMS, MXP and ARN. We have also seen a C13 Globemaster a few times.
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
The other odd thing is the number of normal flights going to unusual destinations. A3 (Aegean) has had numerous flights going into ALA (Almaty, Kazakhstan) over the last few weeks and they don't have passenger services there. Again, cargo I expect although what it is who knows!
There are a lot more cargo flights coming in here. LOT are doing regular flights in & out of Astana as well. A lot of foodstuff is imported & there are a lot of restrictions on the the main land freight routes from Russia & China
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
ALA is fuelling stop for some non- standard long haul flights.
Old Apr 27, 20, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
ALA is fuelling stop for some non- standard long haul flights.
Yes Condor have been using it thus recently too.
Old Apr 27, 20, 3:32 am

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
Cargo doesn't care if it has a 2 hour "gas'n'go" stop in the middle of the night and on longhaul flights the total fuel burn can be considerably lower with a refuelling stop as close to midway as possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: