Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many flights are cargo only?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
How many flights are cargo only?

Was curious looking at Flight Radar this morning as to why there were so many arrivals from New York

I tried to do a dummy booking on BA and it looks that only one flight daily is bookable . I presume the ithers are fright only

I had heard also that the VS flights are cargo inly too

Is this a correct presumption?

Maybe those with expert flyer can see the loads on transatlantic flights
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On average we have 11 cargo only flights each day including one from JFK, there is also one passenger carrying daily from JFK.
allturnleft and Anonba like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
On average we have 11 cargo only flights each day including one from JFK, there is also one passenger carrying daily from JFK.
Do you know what the loads are like on transatlantic services?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do but they are not for public viewing sorry, I will say they are mostly low.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is there a difference between pilots that fly cargo planes and ones that fly passengers, or can they mix and match to suit? I assume no cabin crew are needed on cargo flights.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are the same pilots, if cargo is also being carried in the cabin there will be two or three cabin crew depending on the length of the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am a bit puzzled. IS 11 the total number of flights of cargo-only passenger aircraft for the whole network inbound and outbound? Or is that only the inbound flights from US?
IAG-Cargo had a much longer list of bookable flights, but maybe they don't operate:
https://www.iagcargo.com/en/page/cargo-only-flights
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11 inbound cargo only so that 22 cargo sectors per day plus all the passenger operating flights.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Agent69
Is there a difference between pilots that fly cargo planes and ones that fly passengers, or can they mix and match to suit? I assume no cabin crew are needed on cargo flights.
It depends on the plane used and that depends on the airline though I thought that BA had no pure cargo planes.

If it is a properly fitted out cargo plane then no cabin crew.

If it is a passenger plane being used for cargo in the cabin as well as the hold then there need to be CC on duty for fire supression reasons for th cargo in the passenger cabin
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I was in YYZ couple of days ago and I saw a BA 787 there. I guess they are operating a cargo flight to YYZ on a daily basis!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:39 pm

Am guessing the LHR-SIN on the 015 is a cargo one- saw a post on twitter yesterday by a 777 FO who operated it with cargo filling the seats.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Looking at todays list of outbound flights, those filed with an F (cargo) are-

BA165F-TLV-GXWBD
BA117F-JFK-GYMML
BA904F-FRA-GSTBI
BA287F-SFO-GZBJH
BA169F-PVG-GSTBD
BA193F-DFW-GYMMI
BA227F-ATL-GZBKA
BA089F-PEK-GSTBK
BA099F-YYZ-GZBJB
BA161F-PVG-GZBKH
BA031F-HKG-GYMMR
BA055F-JNB-GSTBI
BA209F-MIA-GZBKE
BA057F-JNB-GSTBG
BA027F-HKG-GSTBC

There also looks to be regular flights to TXL, LAX, BOS, ORD, GIB, JFK, IAD amd IOM.

Last edited by Lynyrd; Apr 27, 2020 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I was speculating to a cabin crew member on an LHR-ORD flight back in March that BA would keep flying some routes for the cargo. The response was that they wouldn't as there was no money in cargo
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I was speculating to a cabin crew member on an LHR-ORD flight back in March that BA would keep flying some routes for the cargo. The response was that they wouldn't as there was no money in cargo
one has to factor in other things to the cargo flights too, like the ability to maintain crew hours to allow for a quicker return to increasing pax ops.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
With the huge fall in standard belly hold capacity coinciding with a large rise in the number of people wanting certain things moved quickly, plus much of the usual demand holding steady, prices to fly goods around the world have rocketed. On some routes airlines can command almost any price at the moment. This means there is money in Cargo like never before, even before the crewing implications are considered. Freight yields attract significantly more volatility than passenger yields, just for once this is working to airlines’ advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.