Is BA Offering any cheap upgrades ?

Old Apr 23, 20, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Is BA Offering any cheap upgrades ?

Iím flying TA next week and Iíd feel that little bit more comfortable up-front. Does anyone know if BA have been offering low cost upgrades, even if it is an offer at check-in ?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I didnít notice any other posts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by Fonsini View Post
Iím flying TA next week and Iíd feel that little bit more comfortable up-front. Does anyone know if BA have been offering low cost upgrades, even if it is an offer at check-in ?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I didnít notice any other posts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably out date, but when I last flew with BA (about 4 weeks ago), I was told at the counter that precisely because they weren't offering the full Premium experience (no lounges, no booze, no real food onboard), they weren't extending or accepting any upgrade offers. Can't very well charge you extra for a package of services they aren't actually delivering....
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:41 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Cheap upgrades on BA are normally called POUGís (pro active online upgrades), which appear in your booking before checking in. After check in there are further upgrade offers sometimes thrown your way in the app, and there are also occasional Airport Upgrades (AUPís) too. So yes, there are cheap upgrades sometimes available.

Whether BA are offering them right now is an unknown. I have a POUG for a Dublin flight in November at £49.00 each way, which is very cheap (much cheaper than Iíve ever seen it).

You can track prices in this thread here:

Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2020 thread

That said, your flight next week is very unlikely to be full to the point you have someone sat next to you. Other than more baggage, a biscuit (over a pretzel) and tier points, there really wonít be any other benefits (lounges are shut, no alcohol or meals on board). What route is it?
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the problem is POUGs are not likely to be offered to the OP as they have a TA booking.

The only option is likely to be AUPs Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2020 thread
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I think the problem is POUGs are not likely to be offered to the OP as they have a TA booking.l
After much puzzling I came to the conclusion that the "TA" in the OP's post means transatlantic, not travel agent. But perhaps I've missed something.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Aren't most routes also so empty that even in Y you're guaranteed a row to yourself?
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
This is probably out date, but when I last flew with BA (about 4 weeks ago), I was told at the counter that precisely because they weren't offering the full Premium experience (no lounges, no booze, no real food onboard), they weren't extending or accepting any upgrade offers. Can't very well charge you extra for a package of services they aren't actually delivering....
And yet ....... my understanding from various recent reports (??) is that they are doing precisely this, where previously-purchased premium cabin tickets are concerned - and then flown as booked.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
After much puzzling I came to the conclusion that the "TA" in the OP's post means transatlantic, not travel agent. But perhaps I've missed something.
Aha, yes you are probably right! Apologies.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
What route is it?
I’m doing LHR to ORD on an American code share. To be honest I’m looking for some space, not too interested in the lounges or in-flight services.

Hopefully it will be fairly empty back in coach if it comes to that.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:19 am

@ Fonsini - I would wager you will have more space in Y than you could possibly use
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
And also and upgrade deal would only get you to premium economy
Old Apr 23, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
And also and upgrade deal would only get you to premium economy
...where you would likely have less space than in Y...
zsc and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
And yet ....... my understanding from various recent reports (??) is that they are doing precisely this, where previously-purchased premium cabin tickets are concerned - and then flown as booked.
I know, I know. Was subject to this myself on a LHR-GRU sector, and I'm still hoping to hear back from BA about my request for an adjustment, using their own argument about not offering upgrades as justification for why they really do need to do something to make things right. I really didn't get what I'd paid for.
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fonsini View Post
Iím doing LHR to ORD on an American code share. To be honest Iím looking for some space, not too interested in the lounges or in-flight services.

Hopefully it will be fairly empty back in coach if it comes to that.
You won't be offered a POUG on an AA codeshare and currently USA is not offering AUPs either. But you may well find yourself in a nice seat anyway, depending on loads. Take a few snacks with you, there will be plenty of water, tea and coffee available on board.
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
, .................I'm still hoping to hear back from BA about my request for an adjustment, using their own argument about not offering upgrades as justification for why they really do need to do something to make things right. I really didn't get what I'd paid for.
The (eventual) response will be interesting. Do try to let us know how you get on as regards your Ďadjustmentí request.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: