FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is BA Offering any cheap upgrades ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2016368-ba-offering-any-cheap-upgrades.html)

Fonsini Apr 23, 2020 9:32 am

Is BA Offering any cheap upgrades ?

I’m flying TA next week and I’d feel that little bit more comfortable up-front. Does anyone know if BA have been offering low cost upgrades, even if it is an offer at check-in ?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I didn’t notice any other posts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

checkerboard Apr 23, 2020 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Fonsini (Post 32318187)
I’m flying TA next week and I’d feel that little bit more comfortable up-front. Does anyone know if BA have been offering low cost upgrades, even if it is an offer at check-in ?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I didn’t notice any other posts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably out date, but when I last flew with BA (about 4 weeks ago), I was told at the counter that precisely because they weren't offering the full Premium experience (no lounges, no booze, no real food onboard), they weren't extending or accepting any upgrade offers. Can't very well charge you extra for a package of services they aren't actually delivering....

ScienceTeacher Apr 23, 2020 9:41 am

Cheap upgrades on BA are normally called POUG’s (pro active online upgrades), which appear in your booking before checking in. After check in there are further upgrade offers sometimes thrown your way in the app, and there are also occasional Airport Upgrades (AUP’s) too. So yes, there are cheap upgrades sometimes available.

Whether BA are offering them right now is an unknown. I have a POUG for a Dublin flight in November at £49.00 each way, which is very cheap (much cheaper than I’ve ever seen it).

You can track prices in this thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...thread-13.html

That said, your flight next week is very unlikely to be full to the point you have someone sat next to you. Other than more baggage, a biscuit (over a pretzel) and tier points, there really won’t be any other benefits (lounges are shut, no alcohol or meals on board). What route is it?

KARFA Apr 23, 2020 9:50 am

I think the problem is POUGs are not likely to be offered to the OP as they have a TA booking.

The only option is likely to be AUPs https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...20-thread.html

Misco60 Apr 23, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32318242)
I think the problem is POUGs are not likely to be offered to the OP as they have a TA booking.l

After much puzzling I came to the conclusion that the "TA" in the OP's post means transatlantic, not travel agent. But perhaps I've missed something.

ENTP Apr 23, 2020 9:53 am

Aren't most routes also so empty that even in Y you're guaranteed a row to yourself?

subject2load Apr 23, 2020 10:02 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard (Post 32318202)
This is probably out date, but when I last flew with BA (about 4 weeks ago), I was told at the counter that precisely because they weren't offering the full Premium experience (no lounges, no booze, no real food onboard), they weren't extending or accepting any upgrade offers. Can't very well charge you extra for a package of services they aren't actually delivering....

And yet ....... my understanding from various recent reports (??) is that they are doing precisely this, where previously-purchased premium cabin tickets are concerned - and then flown as booked.

KARFA Apr 23, 2020 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32318247)
After much puzzling I came to the conclusion that the "TA" in the OP's post means transatlantic, not travel agent. But perhaps I've missed something.

Aha, yes you are probably right! Apologies.

Fonsini Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher (Post 32318217)
What route is it?

I’m doing LHR to ORD on an American code share. To be honest I’m looking for some space, not too interested in the lounges or in-flight services.

Hopefully it will be fairly empty back in coach if it comes to that.

subject2load Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am

@ Fonsini - I would wager you will have more space in Y than you could possibly use :cool:

CT-UK Apr 23, 2020 10:32 am

And also and upgrade deal would only get you to premium economy

fruitcage Apr 23, 2020 11:37 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 32318358)
And also and upgrade deal would only get you to premium economy

...where you would likely have less space than in Y...

checkerboard Apr 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 32318275)
And yet ....... my understanding from various recent reports (??) is that they are doing precisely this, where previously-purchased premium cabin tickets are concerned - and then flown as booked.

I know, I know. Was subject to this myself on a LHR-GRU sector, and I'm still hoping to hear back from BA about my request for an adjustment, using their own argument about not offering upgrades as justification for why they really do need to do something to make things right. I really didn't get what I'd paid for.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fonsini (Post 32318315)
I’m doing LHR to ORD on an American code share. To be honest I’m looking for some space, not too interested in the lounges or in-flight services.

Hopefully it will be fairly empty back in coach if it comes to that.

You won't be offered a POUG on an AA codeshare and currently USA is not offering AUPs either. But you may well find yourself in a nice seat anyway, depending on loads. Take a few snacks with you, there will be plenty of water, tea and coffee available on board.

subject2load Apr 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by checkerboard (Post 32318838)
, .................I'm still hoping to hear back from BA about my request for an adjustment, using their own argument about not offering upgrades as justification for why they really do need to do something to make things right. I really didn't get what I'd paid for.

The (eventual) response will be interesting. Do try to let us know how you get on as regards your ‘adjustment’ request.