Club World ahead of the curve?

Old Apr 22, 20, 4:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: BAEC GGL
Posts: 198
Club World ahead of the curve?


Headline reads:”They’ve designed aircraft seats to avoid contagion after the pandemic”

Sub-heading reads “Are you prepared to travel in a seat that faces the rear of the aircraft?”

LoL

maybe BA was right all along?
Grande Annee likes this.
furryman is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 7:04 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 12,083
See the plastic shield around each seat? Who is going to clean that after every flight?

more pics here https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...photo-19326800
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 7:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
See the plastic shield around each seat? Who is going to clean that after every flight?

more pics here https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...photo-19326800
Oh, we'll have to clean it ourselves, it'll be the latest cost-cutting initiative. Collect a wet-wipe when boarding.
cauchy is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 10:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,192
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
See the plastic shield around each seat? Who is going to clean that after every flight?

more pics here https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...photo-19326800
I can only imagine how filthy that plastic shield would end up being after the first couple of flights !
1Aturnleft likes this.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 10:37 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA
Posts: 1,220
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Oh, we'll have to clean it ourselves, it'll be the latest cost-cutting initiative. Collect a wet-wipe when boarding.
Well I can't see these fitting into the turnaround cleaning regime. Can you? I can however envisage all sorts of suspicious smears and spillages of unidentified sources all over the perspex shields and all held down with gaffer tape because an overzealous passenger on a sector 4 months previously tried to use the middle seat surround with a wheelie bag balanced on top as a baby changing table and cracked it.
​​

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Apr 22, 20 at 10:43 pm
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 10:59 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,192
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
I can however envisage all sorts of suspicious smears and spillages of unidentified sources all over the perspex shields and all held down with gaffer tape because an overzealous passenger on a sector 4 months previously tried to use the middle seat surround with a wheelie bag balanced on top as a baby changing table and cracked it.
​​
And that pretty much sums up the state of humanity these days - I fully see that happening too, should these kinds of seats ever become reality.. But, as you say, cleaning of these will be impossible to fit into a feasible turnaround schedule.
rockflyertalk likes this.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Apr 22, 20, 11:02 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,129
How can anyone even squeeze through those plastic screens to get to the window seat?
thinkingallowed likes this.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 12:59 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
I can only imagine how filthy that plastic shield would end up being after the first couple of flights !
Doesn’t bear thinking about.
subject2load is online now  
Old Apr 23, 20, 1:34 am
  #9  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,320
An interesting concept although if one scrutinises the design, the seat does look very high and as the 3 seat unit includes 6 armrests, the seat will be narrower than conventional seats. Also, the seat backs appear to be fixed so no recline.
Prospero is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:21 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by furryman View Post

Headline reads:”They’ve designed aircraft seats to avoid contagion after the pandemic”

Sub-heading reads “Are you prepared to travel in a seat that faces the rear of the aircraft?”

LoL

maybe BA was right all along?
love this, the fact BA thought it was okay to call it business class when this company thinks it's only good enough for economy.

Has BA written all over it. Behind the times, charging too much and getting their PR team to spin it as much as possible.
CharlesTheTog is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:25 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 144
Getting in / out of the middle seat could be fun!
milkyway88 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Actually schools in Taiwan were way ahead. Did you see their yellow dividers they used?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21029K
s0ssos is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze
Posts: 329
Yeh lol, have they ever flown Club World, if they had then they’d know any config with 3 by the window doesn’t work. 2-4-2 max unless you want 3 aisles.
LiHS likes this.
email2markt is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:36 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by CharlesTheTog View Post
love this, the fact BA thought it was okay to call it business class when this company thinks it's only good enough for economy.
Yawn
trains, JAXBA, Jimmie76 and 2 others like this.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:37 am
  #15  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 6,756
Originally Posted by CharlesTheTog View Post
love this, the fact BA thought it was okay to call it business class when this company thinks it's only good enough for economy.

Has BA written all over it. Behind the times, charging too much and getting their PR team to spin it as much as possible.
It's clearly designed for Y cabins.

It has no recline.

It has, most likely as identified by Prospero, reduced seat width.

In what way is that remotely comparable with a BA Club World seat which has as much width as pretty much every other airline (some of the older SQ stuff may be the exception that proves the rule) and a flat bed as a basic starting point?

And quite what pricing has to do with this, particularly given it's an area where BA is actually normally very competitive, I really have no idea (and nor does it have any relevance either).
NWIFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: