Community
Wiki Posts
Search

L-1011 Tristar as ugly as it gets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Seating on Tristars was often 2 5 2 I think.
It definitely was 2-5-2 on the DC10. I recall my first BA flight, and first long-haul flight, on a DC10, as a 17 year old on a school exchange trip to Atlanta in the early 90s.

Happy memories! I recall getting beer from the CC with lunch, which we all considered a win. And sneeking further back in the cabin with one of my school mates, without our teacher noticing, to sit in an empty row of seats for a smoke. Tut tut!
wrp96 and TRISTAR1979 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:01 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by London_traveller
It definitely was 2-5-2 on the DC10. I recall my first BA flight, and first long-haul flight, on a DC10, as a 17 year old on a school exchange trip to Atlanta in the early 90s.

Happy memories! I recall getting beer from the CC with lunch, which we all considered a win. And sneeking further back in the cabin with one of my school mates, without our teacher noticing, to sit in an empty row of seats for a smoke. Tut tut!
Ah yes, the good old smoking days on aircraft. Having a smoking section and then once a few lit up, the air circulation system meant the whole aircraft became the smoking section in less than a minute. I always thought attempting to segregate smokers and non-smokers on an aircraft was an exercise of extreme futility, similar to trying to create a "no peeing" area in a swimming pool. It actually does not make a blind bit of difference
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:20 am

From a pilots perspective the TriStar is still my favourite. I have flown Airbus and Boeing types as well as some turbo props but the L1011, especially the -500, was the best. A fantastic flight deck with systems that have only recently been surpassed, a joy to fly with beautifully harmonised controls, far better to handfly than the 744, which is heavy in pitch and twitchy in roll. Easy to land in strong crosswinds and just a great working environment. I also think is looked good, but admit to being biased.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Do-228 was one ugly bird. I remember seeing the Suckling Airways ones on the tarmac at MAN. They were butt ugly planes
That looks like it came from a Star Wars set!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by SaraJH
I don’t have a personal picture but probably not the ugliest but maybe the smallest aircraft in BA colours has to be the Piper Tomahawk that flew from British Airways Flying Club at Booker Airfield.
And NOT easy to fly, compared to the 4-seat PA28's.
My instructor called it an ideal training aircraft. It was cheap to fly and it takes an effort to fly it.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:35 am

BA Tri-star

Super club
1Aturnleft and Great_circle like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Old May 6, 2020, 4:27 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Fraser
Much preferred it when the WB's were like this with one row of 4-5 loos down the back. Queue moved so much quicker and if one pax needed to stay in the loo for much longer than others (can often seem to happen) then it didn't matter and the queue still moved at an acceptable rate.

With the loo's now at different places round the cabin (often singly) an unacceptable queue can now build up at some
Great_circle likes this.

Last edited by BOH; May 6, 2020 at 4:31 am Reason: Typo
Old May 6, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Ugly stick award has to go to the Stratocruiser, but wow what an experience that must have been - berths, bars, low number of pax...... £2500 to Paris, we might end up there now with the social distancing! Sadly not the service

I always liked the Tristar, though would always put the Concorde and Queen of the Skies in 1 and 2....
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by YClass
Ugly stick award has to go to the Stratocruiser, but wow what an experience that must have been - berths, bars,..
Fully agree! Was on YouTube last night and came across an old BOAC promo film, and the grace of the Britannia vs the Stratocruiser was remarkable. Very interesting film btw, it was called something like “The future belongs to them”, and focused on TechOps.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: DL, AA, WN, B6, National, Choice, Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
Ugliest airplane ever: Short 330 - - the flying boxcar
Used to fly the Shorts from JFK to PHL. Mostly flew at night so I didn't really get a good look at it. But it was fine, though of course small, on the inside.
ajamieson likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, AA, WN, B6, National, Choice, Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton
I flew the L-1011 mostly on TW, domestic (transcon) and international (CDG, TLV), and occasionally on DL. It had decorative squares covering the ceiling of the cabin. The squares were not attached tightly into the ceiling but had play in them. I recall flying with someone who would get nervous and worried when we took off and landed, or had even minimal turbulence, as those squares would shake and rattle noisily. She didn't know that they were designed that way.

I suspected that design had something to do with relieving stress on them during takeoff/landing but that's just a supposition because I couldn't think of another reason for Lockheed doing that.
Great_circle likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:48 am

Underfloor Galley

Lucky to snap these at BOU airport.
lower galley window in that door.
RoyalSwazi and T8191 like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:00 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Qatar Airways
Lucky to snap these at BOU airport.
lower galley window in that door.
"BOU" Airport?
Old May 17, 2020, 8:00 am

BOH Sorry "Bournemouth" not bou.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.